Player Discussion Joshua Roy

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really liked what I see in his last 2 games, this guy have obviously top 6 potential in this league, he reminds me of a Tyler Toffoli type of guy, smart hockey player.

5 points in 12 games, but he should have more. He looks already the best player on his line Newhook and Anderson.

Reactions: Goalfield22

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I really liked what I see in his last 2 games, this guy have obviously top 6 potential in this league, he reminds me of a Tyler Toffoli type of guy, smart hockey player.

5 points in 12 games, but he should have more. He looks already the best player on his line Newhook and Anderson.
Toffoli is a good comparision. I also see a winger version of Suzuki. Just a solid, well-rounded, smart player. Huge upside. I thought Newhook had more offensive upside, but I am starting to reconsider.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Toffoli is definitely the best comparison.

A solid plug and play player who can move up and down the lineup, but is best suited for a third line role.

I like Roy. I have put him in some mock lineups on the first line when balancing a lineup. The kind of guy that will never be "the man", but will also never hurt the team.

Reactions: windycity

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Toffoli is definitely the best comparison.

A solid plug and play player who can move up and down the lineup, but is best suited for a third line role.

I like Roy. I have put him in some mock lineups on the first line when balancing a lineup. The kind of guy that will never be "the man", but will also never hurt the team.
toffoli scored 28 goals for us in 52 games, then 34 in Calgary last year in 82 games, and is on pace for 36 goals this year.

how is that a 3rd line player?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Toffoli is a good comparision. I also see a winger version of Suzuki. Just a solid, well-rounded, smart player. Huge upside. I thought Newhook had more offensive upside, but I am starting to reconsider.
This is newhook's 22/23 year old season and he's scoring at a pace of 22 goals and 44 points over 82 games, playing mainly out of position with mainly mediocre players.

So, logically if he plays with better players and can stay healthy, and can play on the wing, he should have the potential to put up more than 22 goals and 41 points. How much higher offensive numbers than higher than those were you expecting?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
toffoli scored 28 goals for us in 52 games, then 34 in Calgary last year in 82 games, and is on pace for 36 goals this year.

how is that a 3rd line player?
He is a finisher....no doubt. I just see him as someone who fits best on a third line, but can play up the lineup and in a PP capacity. It's not a slam on him, and maybe I more tepid, it's just where I would love to slot someone in like Toffoli, ie Roy.

Reactions: Joe Lamb and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He is a finisher....no doubt. I just see him as someone who fits best on a third line, but can play up the lineup and in a PP capacity. It's not a slam on him, and maybe I more tepid, it's just where I would love to slot someone in like Toffoli, ie Roy.
A 5th rounder who becomes a middle 6 player is a huge win for this team. His skills will also land him on the PP.

I also expect him to improve his skating as he matures.

Is John Tavares that much better of a skater? Just curious what people think.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A 5th rounder who becomes a middle 6 player is a huge win for this team. His skills will also land him on the PP.

I also expect him to improve his skating as he matures.

Is John Tavares that much better of a skater? Just curious what people think.

He's not but he's definitely a bull and is great at using his body and contact to spin out and create space. Roy will have to learn how to create space for himself at the NHL level.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
This is newhook's 22/23 year old season and he's scoring at a pace of 22 goals and 44 points over 82 games, playing mainly out of position with mainly mediocre players.

So, logically if he plays with better players and can stay healthy, and can play on the wing, he should have the potential to put up more than 22 goals and 41 points. How much higher offensive numbers than higher than those were you expecting?
Odd response. I wasn't knocking Newhook. I like him plenty. This was more a compliment to Roy.

Edit: I believe you misunderstood me. What I meant was, I thought Newhook had more offensive upside than Roy. Now I think Roy could potentially be better than him. Not a knock on Newhook.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Odd response. I wasn't knocking Newhook. I like him plenty. This was more a compliment to Roy.

Edit: I believe you misunderstood me. What I meant was, I thought Newhook had more offensive upside than Roy. Now I think Roy could potentially be better than him. Not a knock on Newhook.
Yes it was a misunderstanding. I thought you were saying you thought Newhook had more offensive upside, but after watching him this year, you"ve lowered your views of his offensive potential.

Reactions: Goalfield22

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
He's playing great, but have a feeling the habs will trade for some cheap vet winger at the deadline and send Roy back in the AHL. The rest of the season is going to be grueling for the big club, and management may prefer to see their rookie play big minutes in meaningful games in the minor.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's playing great, but have a feeling the habs will trade for some cheap vet winger at the deadline and send Roy back in the AHL. The rest of the season is going to be grueling for the big club, and management may prefer to see their rookie play big minutes in meaningful games in the minor.

I think that's what will happen, either a small trade like that or a waiver claim.

Laval's play-off push is very important, Basu/Godin was mentioning that they want a Syracuse Crunch type of situation as having your farm team continually play meaningful games can improve the odds that you unearth the Gourdes, Palats, Killorns etc. from your farm.

Reactions: Fatbiggie

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

I don't think they will do that.

Roy has looked good in the nhl and been improving. The management will want the team to more competitive next season, and Roy should be expected to start with the habs, so the management will likely want him to gain as much nhl experience as possible this year.

I think they will eventually send him down, but towards the end of the season, not at the tdl.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad