Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I mean, that's true for 98% of drafted players. Plenty of #3OA picks that became nothing, plenty of 5th or 7th round picks that became Datsyuk and Markov.

Ok. Challenge accepted.

View attachment 838932
Although not having an explosive first step does not stop a few players from being efficient, you would have a very hard time making a case it would not be a good thing that makes any player better.

Cole and Suzuki come to mind as having benefited. Cole could not jump into open space or create any separation year one pro.

I watched Roy a whole sequence (was it Saturday?) where he was in front of the opposing net a good while and never even pretended he would fetch 2-3 loose pucks in the corners that seemed to me he was the closest hab to. Might be confirmation bias, but looks to me like he knows he won’t usually reach 50-50 pucks first so he does something else useful. It just limits his arsenal and the potential output to situations. Not sure how useful all these anecdotal stories of slow-to-average players having success (or not) despite are.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Roy is about to lose rookie status at game 25.

Last Habs to win the Calder;

Dryden G 72
Laperriere D 64
Rousseau RW 62
Backstrom C 57
Geoffrion RW 52
Guilty C 41

89Joshua RoyR234590
Wellp

Guess we don't have to worry about 'that' anymore at least? Lol

Both ex Habs players are doing great with the Winnipeg. Sadly for us, is going to be a very late first round pick.
Teams with 12th overall picks don't trade for rentals. This is a normal thing

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
There were a couple plays last night where you just wish he was faster. He's so smart at finding open space but unfortunately the defensemen caught up to him or closed the gap so fast he couldn't make a play.
It would be super if he had Newhooks speed to go along with with his hands and head.

Reactions: badfish

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Personally I don't see why people are so stuck about "he has to be top6 or crap". Maybe because I remember fondly a third line of Skrudland-Carbo-McPhee I have absolutely no problem with Roy being on a third line, with his defensive smarts and good shot. I would actually be curious to pair him with the likes of Beck as a two-way line, if Beck is any good of course.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Although not having an explosive first step does not stop a few players from being efficient, you would have a very hard time making a case it would not be a good thing that makes any player better.

Cole and Suzuki come to mind as having benefited. Cole could not jump into open space or create any separation year one pro.

I watched Roy a whole sequence (was it Saturday?) where he was in front of the opposing net a good while and never even pretended he would fetch 2-3 loose pucks in the corners that seemed to me he was the closest hab to. Might be confirmation bias, but looks to me like he knows he won’t usually reach 50-50 pucks first so he does something else useful. It just limits his arsenal and the potential output to situations. Not sure how useful all these anecdotal stories of slow-to-average players having success (or not) despite are.
Never disagreed. Speed is always good to have. But it's not necessary.

I'd take Monahan on any contender.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I hope to see RHP promoted to that spot with the Gallagher-Evans-Anderson line looking like it's starting to contribute a little more lately

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Personally I don't see why people are so stuck about "he has to be top6 or crap". Maybe because I remember fondly a third line of Skrudland-Carbo-McPhee I have absolutely no problem with Roy being on a third line, with his defensive smarts and good shot. I would actually be curious to pair him with the likes of Beck as a two-way line, if Beck is any good of course.
That was one hell of a 3rd line!

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
MTL luck, everytimes our young players get hurts.....I'm guessing Slafkovski is next.
there is a stupid jinx on this team. Can anyone identify another team where virtually every player goes down with injury??? I know this is all dumb luck but why can't we be lucky the other way and say...win the F*ing lottery???

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Both ex Habs players are doing great with the Winnipeg. Sadly for us, is going to be a very late first round pick.
They are doing better than every forward except Schiefele. So much for 'Peg fans who did not believe us and thought the ex-Habs were junk. I hope Monahan wins the Conn Smythe!

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Congrats you got your wish

53 years later, a Hab might be rookie of the year (!)

1000002582.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad