What should we do with Bailey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Technically, true. :)

We've suggested possibly trading Bailey for a player another team is trying to dump. Is it crazy to suggest Bailey for Boeser or Garland? They both have additional years and much less attractive buyouts than Bailey, and word is VAN may need to send them away for nothing or even pay an asset. And if Mayfield doesn't re-sign, how bad is Tyler Myers (for a year as RHD on the 3rd pair)? VAN would probably have to add something in a Bailey for Myers trade. But, Myers could be really bad. :laugh:
I'd trade him for Olaufsson, same basic one-year left and Bailey might do better on their 3rd line than sit for us, while we get our PP sniper. I'd even retain a million if needed.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I thought a buyout only gains about 1.3m in cap space. Probably won’t be bought out. Bailey to Nashville. Trotz owes Lou a favor, and he liked Bailey anyway.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
If Lou buys out Bailey my guess is that it will be in the first minute of the buyout period, or on June 30th at 4:59pm.
I would guess Lou already knows the market for Bailey and/or discussed the options with him.

If Lou is gonna cut him lose, then he’ll do it early so Josh can figure out his offseason a bit earlier.

The only delay would be the Isles seeking to trade cap space.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I would guess Lou already knows the market for Bailey and/or discussed the options with him.

If Lou is gonna cut him lose, then he’ll do it early so Josh can figure out his offseason a bit earlier.

Its definitely gonna go down to cap space

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

My guess is that Lou waits and explores options to trade Bailey - perhaps in a deal where the Isles take back a salary.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
what about bailey and #49 to blackhawks for # 131

If an option like this is the one Lou selects, then he has failed.

You're talking to a team that has traded 4 straight first rounders and a number of 2nd and 3rd rounders in that time as well. For example, this year's 3rd is also gone.

The team has a second and a total of 5 picks (only 19 picks over the last 4 summers) in what's being seen as maybe the strongest draft of the century.

The team simply cannot keep moving its high picks without being in the midst of winning cups.

...Which is something the Isles are not in the midst of.

There'll be other solutions for Bailey, even if it ends up being Robidas Island.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006

You're talking to a team that has traded 4 straight first rounders and a number of 2nd and 3rd rounders in that time as well. For example, this year's 3rd is also gone.

The team has a second and a total of 5 picks (only 19 picks over the last 4 summers) in what's being seen as maybe the strongest draft of the century.

The team simply cannot keep moving its high picks without being in the midst of winning cups.

There'll be other solutions for Bailey, even if it ends up being Robidas Island.
I've been okay with the trades of picks, but even I want to keep some picks so that the pipeline has something in it. So yeah, I don't want the 2023 2nd round pick to be dealt... unless perhaps if it's in a very good deal for a young player.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I've been okay with the trades of picks, but even I want to keep some picks so that the pipeline has something in it. So yeah, I don't want the 2023 2nd round pick to be dealt... unless perhaps if it's in a very good deal for a young player.

the other option would probably be a 2024 2nd no pick coming back. just a guess. that is kind of in the ball park of what it costs to move a larger contract of a player who is not quite playing at the level of his contract.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
1) We can pay a whistleblower to come forward and say Bailey is secretly on Burisma's payroll, voiding the contract

2) Offer Bailey to the Panthers (the Nottingham Panthers) for a free transfer, just like they do in European soccer

3) Hire Jessie Smollett's henchmen and fake an attack

4) He retires and pops up on The View, where his oratorical skills will fit right in

5) Tavares and Bailey are caught up in a modern Kekich and Peterson scandal, and both teams file contract violations in order to release them.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
1) We can pay a whistleblower to come forward and say Bailey is secretly on Burisma's payroll, voiding the contract

2) Offer Bailey to the Panthers (the Nottingham Panthers) for a free transfer, just like they do in European soccer

3) Hire Jessie Smollett's henchmen and fake an attack

4) He retires and pops up on The View, where his oratorical skills will fit right in

5) Tavares and Bailey are caught up in a modern Kekich and Peterson scandal, and both teams file contract violations in order to release them.
The reference in #5 caught my eye. Back in the day they called it “wife swapping”. Don’t think that would go over well today. Let’s just call it partner swapping.

Still on the topic of Tavares and Bailey: Let’s trade Bailey and JGP for Tavares and then trade him to Timbuktu. I hear they might get an expansion team soon.

Reactions: leeroggy

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Our farm is in such bad shape that we kind of need that #49 overall pick. Whoever is selected there will probably be one of our top 3 prospects, especially if it's someone who falls out of the first round.

Just buy Bailey out. No need to get too fancy or complicated.
Man you have a lot of anger. Let it go bro.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Probably just Trotz reacting to a reporter's question re: Bailey's 1000th game and saying nice things...:

"Last Friday, Josh Bailey skated in his 1,000th-career NHL game. During his time as the Islanders bench boss, Trotz always spoke about Bailey’s IQ. He elaborated more on the person that Bailey is.

“He was great. He is such a caring individual,” Trotz said. “Sneaky good in terms of understanding the game quietly makes unbelievable plays that go unnoticed, little things. You think about 1,000 games with one organization in a big market, very quiet. Shoutout to him. He is a terrific person and a really underrated player for a lot of years.”

“The first time I ever met Josh, I was at an all-star game. Never said two words for the most part. Quiet, but very smart. Hockey IQ is through the roof. You’re not going to find a better person than Josh.”"

I'm not saying he'd pay an asset for Bailey, but as part of a larger deal to make the cap work maybe?

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
thats what I was thinking as well .

at least they get a pick back this season to plant a seed - isles scouts have found some gems in the later rounds
I honestly don't think JB is that bad for some teams. I don't think it costs a 2nd rounder. I mean, I'd move something of value along with the fourth, but I think the 2nd should be safe. Maybe Barry T takes on JB to make up for the money he was paid on his year off. (kidding, right?)

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Nashville has a ton of contracts to fill and a ton of draft picks:

2 1sts, 2nds, 3 3rds and 3 4ths

Bailey and Aho for a 4th . . . make it so LL!

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I would love for Bailey, Clutter and Martin to all end up on Robidas island. Unfortunately, they need to play ball for that to happen and that's not gonna happen with Bailey - he wants to play.

When Martin signed his last deal, I figured he'd never touch the ice in the last two, spend some time on Robidas Island and be a defacto coach/player development guy. As it turns out, he's played just well enough to avoid that fate but not well enough to meaningfully contribute, putting the Islanders in a bit of a spot right now. They could use his roster spot and cap hit (its not big, but every dollar counts right now), but he's not going to agree that he's too injured to play. So, we're likely to fight through this last year with him either playing 8 minutes a game or being a healthy scratch.

At this point in time, what's a better 4th line: Parise/Casey/Fasching or Martin/Casey/Clutter? Think I'm going with option #1.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I would love for Bailey, Clutter and Martin to all end up on Robidas island. Unfortunately, they need to play ball for that to happen and that's not gonna happen with Bailey - he wants to play.

I'm fairly sure that Lou and Bailey can come to an amicable agreement that allows Bailey to be playing - or trying to - for an NHL team he's down with next season.

An amicable agreement is not one that has us moving draft currency to find Bailey a new home of his choice. That's failure. That's a route that shouldn't be on the table

What we've heard from Rosner or Kurz or Gross, or all of them is that he is gonna want to be playing somewhere. That's not entirely in his hands right now though, because he spent a bulk of last season falling off the planet at the NHL level and teams who could see him or his contract being of advantage in some capacity are going to know that.

But at the end of the day, if a team doesn't want a guy eating a roster spot, he'll not be there doing so, even if he still is a cap hit.

When Martin signed his last deal, I figured he'd never touch the ice in the last two, spend some time on Robidas Island and be a defacto coach/player development guy. As it turns out, he's played just well enough to avoid that fate but not well enough to meaningfully contribute, putting the Islanders in a bit of a spot right now.

Funny, in Martin's case, despite his lull the season before, I expected things to turn out as they have been. Fully, in fact. Including his relatively strong bounceback season this year (maybe not the 19 points, but otherwise...).

But yes, definitely see him sticking with the organization beyond his playing career.

They could use his roster spot and cap hit (its not big, but every dollar counts right now), but he's not going to agree that he's too injured to play. So, we're likely to fight through this last year with him either playing 8 minutes a game or being a healthy scratch.

Are you referring to Martin or Bailey here?

One thing I do not see is a scenario like this with Bailey.

At this point in time, what's a better 4th line: Parise/Casey/Fasching or Martin/Casey/Clutter? Think I'm going with option #1.

Here's one of those points that we just aren't gonna be able to anything about. We may all see preferences and logical reasons to move on from the MC² line, but if Lou believes in it, it's sticking around.

And judging by his presser a few weeks back, he sure sounds like he still believes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad