Player Discussion: Joshua Bailey

What should we do with Bailey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Wouldn’t it make more sense to trade Bailey for nothing at 50% retained than buying him out so they can avoid a cap penalty next season?

That’s assuming someone is interested in Bailey at 2.5M per…
Its not a good vibe for this team to have a guy like Bailey bouncing around the minors or perpetual healthy scratch. Say what you want about his ability, he's been a good Islander and having a guy like Bailey ride the bus in BP or basically being persona non grata with the team is just not healthy for the locker room. We also could use the cap space desperately this year and we have a bunch of expiring contracts coming this year.

Taking those two factors into account, I'd be shocked if he's not traded with a healthy amount retained or simply bought out.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
We will see if it comes to that. A Buyout really is not fiscally a good idea, chances are he sits in the press box or goes to Bridgeport if nothing changes.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Have you been in hibernation? Of course they need that money this season. Or do you sacrifice Mayfield or Engvall or Varlamov or or or or . . .

It's not the worst decision in the world depending on the thought process. If next year is going to be a step back it might make sense to hold Bailey and let the money expire naturally. Mayfield is good but will be overpaid and will tie up more money. Varlamov can be kept even if Bailey isn't dealt. Engvall is a player I'd like to see kept around but there are players like him every year.

As far as people suggesting Bailey would be sent to Bridgeport, he might be "sent" there on paper but I don't see Lamoriello actually making Bailey report. I'd be very surprised to see that happen.

Reactions: 19 in a row

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
i see ZERO reason to Accommodate him. unless we are never going to play him. there is one year left on his deal its not worth IMHO
I hear you, but I can’t see Lou doing that. The guy was an Islander for 15 years. I think if Bailey wants to try to play somewhere else Lou would buy him out, not embarrass him by sending him to the AHL.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Isles need to do what is right by the Isles and for the good of the team.

If another team wants to take Bailey in a fair trade, great.

If not, then he can try to compete for a spot in camp, but needs to realize the AHL (at least on paper) is a very real possibility.

Or he can head to LTIR or maybe be bought out, but only if it works for the Isles.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I hear you, but I can’t see Lou doing that. The guy was an Islander for 15 years. I think if Bailey wants to try to play somewhere else Lou would buy him out, not embarrass him by sending him to the AHL.
There are more options though. Once he's through waivers, he can be with the big club, but on the roster only when inevitable injuries occur. Lord knows, there's no young players on the farm he'd be blocking.

If there's a decision on Bailey to be made imo it will be made at the absolute last minute - late tomorrow night. If it looks like tomorrow night that they'll absolutely need 3M in capspace, and they've gotten no bites on a trade, I think they'll buy him out. If, otoh, things are unclear, I think they'll hold onto him, and take whatever pain they have to take if & when something forces a move.

I just don't think it's good business to dump a draft asset to move him OR take the 2024-2025 hit from a buyout if there's no compelling reason do so.

Reactions: MJF

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Was Bailey moved because the TEAM thought he was better off being traded OR was Bailey moved because of disgruntled fans? OR was Bailey traded because the smart people on HFBoards is a great lace for Lou to hang out and learn about what makes this team tick?

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
I think that it is inevitable that Bailey ends up back with the Islanders at some point. Either as a player, coach, consultant, etc.

Reactions: JKP

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Hate to give up assets, but assuming, there was no salary retained, I will consider a 2nd, 3 years from now a win. . I make no secret that Bailey has been my favorite Islander for the last decade plus, , but he struggled the last few years, the time had come, and this had to be done... Lot's of work to be done still for this roster but if this means that we can sign our UFAs (we are at least close now to be able to do that), then this is a good day. I loved Engvall's game so hope we get his contract done, along with Mayfield (or a similar replacement), Varly and hopefully Parise.

Appreciate all of your time with the team Josh Maybe he doesn't catch on with another NHL team but believe he will So will look forward to the tribute video and one more time for the Josh Bailey song before he becomes the enemy.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Whenever Bailey hangs up the skates, likely after a couple of years playing with the likes of an Ottawa or something, he'll come back and work with this organization.

We know Martin will when the time comes.

Cizikas too. Mayfield likely too.

Heck, I can see Parise moving into a job with Lou's Islanders in the fairly near future as well.

We'll see Bailey as a part of Islander family again soon enough.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is not meant as a shot at Josh Bailey, but is he on any other team’s radar right now? AFAIK he remains unsigned. Is he actively looking for a team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln