• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If you're going to do a rebuild, then you may as well go all in and suck as much as possible so you have high end draft picks. Cappy is the perfect coach for that. You should be totally on board with that.
We have Lambert. He was lost in Game 6. We’re good.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We have Lambert. He was lost in Game 6. We’re good.
Okay. I'd rather let him go because I didn't like what I saw either. But for your purposes he might be the right guy for the job! ;)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Actually, my head is spinning right about now! I get it. It's like The Producers and I'm Zero Mostel! :laugh:

[or Gene Wilder, maybe more accurately]
You should go to sleep. It was fun debating with you. Come back anytime.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
We make a lot of fun of Cappy...but he is still coaching. I would not put it past him to become a head coach again, and do well.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Any move where Bailey and his contract can be sent to a team that could use the cap hit in return for the NYI simply retaining the actual 3.5 MM (or a large chunk thereof) he's to be paid next season should, at no less than a last resort, be made use of before paying anyone anything.

He could i.e. show Bedard the NHL ropes out in Chitown.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Any move where Bailey and his contract can be sent to a team that could use the cap hit in return for the NYI simply retaining the actual 3.5 MM (or a large chunk thereof) he's to be paid next season should, at no less than a last resort, be made use of before paying anyone anything.

He could i.e. show Bedard the NHL ropes out in Chitown.
Delete

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Can you do that? I didn't think you could.

No, I don't believe you can, now that you mention it.

But I'm not sure if the stipulation where you can't retain more than 50% of the money due to a player is with respect to the still outstanding money or the average $$$ per year over the length of the contract.

So, even in a best case scenario, 2.5 million would probably be about the limit.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

But I'm not sure if the stipulation where you can't retain more than 50% of the money due to a player is with respect to the still outstanding money or the average $$$ per year over the length of the contract.

So, even in a best case scenario, 2.5 million would probably be about the limit.
The only way around it is to introduce a third team and that seems like it'd be cost prohibitive.

Isles retain 50%, then the second team retains 50% of the remaining deal, third team gets Bailey.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

Might as well just buy him out.

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta
If you're going to do a rebuild, then you may as well go all in and suck as much as possible so you have high end draft picks. Cappy is the perfect coach for that. You should be totally on board with that.
If that's the plan, I'd rather have Weight back. Doubt he'd ever get this team to the playoffs.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
hopefully theres a few options to trade him to at the draft or before the draft.

isles dont have 2023 or 2024 3rd round pick which would seem like an ideal cost of doing business to unload him .
Get a 2024 3rd rounder for Bailey and use that to draft goalie prospect Carter George or any other promising young goalie prospect worldwide. You can never have enough good young goalies in your system, not just to fill the pipeline, but also to develop them into valuable tradable assets for upgrading the team elsewhere.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
No team is going to pay for Bailey. Not one. None. Nada. Zilch. He is as worthless as they come.

The only way to get rid of him is either through a buyout, by taking on a similar contract or adding picks/prospects like the Ladd deal.

Reactions: MJF

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Get a 2024 3rd rounder for Bailey and use that to draft goalie prospect Carter George or any other promising young goalie prospect worldwide. You can never have enough good young goalies in your system, not just to fill the pipeline, but also to develop them into valuable tradable assets for upgrading the team elsewhere.
its going to cost a 3rd to get rid of Bailey was my point , but they dont have a 2023 or 2024 3rd .

obviously theres other options

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

I think we could organize an HFBoards group meet-up session where we all get together, get on our knees, and start waving our arms in ancient Egypt style praise of any GM who could manage to get any other GM to actually pay us something to take on Bailey and his contract.

It would indeed be a feat of great skill, cunning, and likely extraterrestrial magical abilities.

As for grabbing goalies, this year's draft has a surprisingly strong batch of goalie options.

A shame that we only have five picks again, because you shouldn't really be drafting goalies unless they're A) unicorns or B) you have more than the allotted 7 picks to work (and gamble) with.

Goalies are just soooo hit or miss, and generally take forever to actually become NHL options.

Heck, let's just take a look out the goalies we've drafted the past 15 years:
2021 - Tristan Lennox
2020 - Henrik Tikkanen
2018 - Jakub Skarek
2014 - Ilya Sorokin
2014 - Linus Soderstrom
2013 - Eamon McAdam
2013 - Stephon Williams
2010 - Cody Rosen
2009 - Mikko Koskinen
2009 - Anders Nilsson
2008 - Kevin Poulin

How many times has that worked out for us?

Even with Lennox (and well, Tikkanen) still in the prospect picture, only one of these picks has actually become a starter for us. Only one other was moved in a deal to get something, anything, namely McAdam for Matt Martin in what was a salary dump for Toronto.

Last edited:
Reactions: doublechili

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I have always liked Bailey...past this last season. The enormous drop off is still a bit puzzling. He has however been one hell of an Islander and i would think buying him out and letting him make his own decision and plans where to play next, are deserved.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I have always liked Bailey...past this last season. The enormous drop off is still a bit puzzling. He has however been one hell of an Islander and i would think buying him out and letting him make his own decision and plans where to play next, are deserved.

That's so sweet.

In Bones' words, get this tub of shit off the roster.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
We make a lot of fun of Cappy...but he is still coaching. I would not put it past him to become a head coach again, and do well.

to quote the great Logan Roy - "you are not serious people" and that is exactly what I would say to the organization if this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad