Josh Leivo

Mad Brills*

With johnson/timashov being marlies next year, leafs can't have him in the AHL.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Leivo and Leipsic will be very important pieces to a potential cup run when we're ready to contend. They're the 2nd-3rd line tweeners who can fill in for injuries on higher lines when there's injuries and scoring doesn't miss a beat because of their talent, but they also give us incredibly scoring depth on the bottom six while having top 6 upside (Leivo can shoot the damn puck). Hoping for a Leivo - Gauthier - Leipsic third line the future.

Kadri43*

Oct 1, 2010
noneofyourbusiness
you'll be happy if Leivo scores 15in an 82 game schedule. I'll bet he hits at least 20 next year over a full season. The guy can shoot the puck, he's a big body, if what Babcock said is true and his fitness is a bit of an issue right now then I can't wait to see him at full fitness. We'll just agree to disagree. I think he could score 15 in his sleep in the future.

Leivo has yet to pop 25 a year in the AHL. Some of you here need to hit the brakes. I remember reading the crazy stuff on Percy a couple of years ago after a few good games... This whole board is bipolar. I would be very, very happy if our rookie hit 15 goals next year on an absolute horrible team.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Perfect storm; horrible season full of despair; prospects lights up his first 4 games = 30 goal scorer.
I'm not saying he won't ever score 30 in the nhl, but lets wait to make that call.
What happens if he doesn't score 30? Is he suddenly a bust in your minds?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've been pumping Leivo for awhile. I'm glad he's producing.

Hopefully he can keep it up, even if he's not scoring.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Perfect storm; horrible season full of despair; prospects lights up his first 4 games = 30 goal scorer.
I'm not saying he won't ever score 30 in the nhl, but lets wait to make that call.

To some he will be. That is why I temper expectations :)

Should definitely be an NHLer for the next couple of years, and if he fits, that is great.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Leivo has yet to pop 25 a year in the AHL. Some of you here need to hit the brakes. I remember reading the crazy stuff on Percy a couple of years ago after a few good games... This whole board is bipolar. I would be very, very happy if our rookie hit 15 goals next year on an absolute horrible team.

People tend to get too excited/pessimistic, based on small sample sizes of players. Most fans are like this and take the "what have you done for me lately" approach when assessing talent.

Having said that, Leivo has scored at a 25+ goal pace in 2/3 years as a Marlie. This brings up another point. He has yet to go a full season without a missing a good chunk of games.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Should definitely be an NHLer for the next couple of years, and if he fits, that is great.

Ya I'm very happy for the kid. I hope he takes this performance and use it as fuel and in the gym this offseason. Maybe get in with Roberts?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Who actually believes he's a future 30 goal scorer?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ya I'm very happy for the kid. I hope he takes this performance and use it as fuel and in the gym this offseason. Maybe get in with Roberts?

I hope so. Hitting the gym should be the easiest thing in the world for him in the off-season.

Work your butt off at the gym and know that you have a strong chance of being in the NHL the next season

It's the difference between like 90k and riding the bus versus 925k and flying on planes etc.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
People tend to get too excited/pessimistic, based on small sample sizes of players. Most fans are like this and take the "what have you done for me lately" approach when assessing talent.

Having said that, Leivo has scored at a 25+ goal pace in 2/3 years as a Marlie. This brings up another point. He has yet to go a full season without a missing a good chunk of games.

The injury thing brings us back to conditioning. Sure some injuries are not related to conditioning but a large amount are from wear and tear, which conditioning can help prevent/delay.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I hope so. Hitting the gym should be the easiest thing in the world for him in the off-season.

Work your butt off at the gym and know that you have a strong chance of being in the NHL the next season

It's the difference between like 90k and riding the bus versus 925k and flying on planes etc.

That's a pretty nice carrot dangling in front of him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Leivo is now in his final stage of development. Bas challenges players with his straightforward style.

Leivo knows what is expected now.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Leivo is a keeper, not sure will he be a 30 goals scorer though. But the fact that he is not afraid to shoot is awesome.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I'll say it again. Kid has Ciccarelli like traits. He's got grit and jam in all 3 zones, solid shot, and can make his money scoring goals from the slot and the dirty areas.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
Happy if he can score 20-25 goals consistently. Probably peaking at most as an 2nd line goal scorer. Need to follow babs advice or it might never happen

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I think the hope for Leivo is to become what we had hoped Frattin or Ashton could become. 15 + goal scorer complimenting more skilled players up and down the lineup and seeing PP duties. Good on the forecheck and along the wall. Maybe a Tomas Holmstrom.

Iamtheliquor*

Dec 15, 2015
Is a comparison to a young Dany Heatley way off base here? Maybe it's just the missing tooth lol I dunno. I don't expect him to put up 50 in the NHL though.

The knock on him right now is his skating but has a great shot. Reminds me a lot of heater.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Is a comparison to a young Dany Heatley way off base here? Maybe it's just the missing tooth lol I dunno. I don't expect him to put up 50 in the NHL though.

The knock on him right now is his skating but has a great shot. Reminds me a lot of heater.

He's got a great shot but he does not shoot the puck like Dany Heatley :laugh:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I have compared him to a poor man's Mark Stone in the past, in the sense that they both work really hard in tough areas, and are very hound-like on the puck. Stone's play-making is what separates the two IMO but Leivo isn't bad at that either.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Leivo and Leipsic will be very important pieces to a potential cup run when we're ready to contend. They're the 2nd-3rd line tweeners who can fill in for injuries on higher lines when there's injuries and scoring doesn't miss a beat because of their talent, but they also give us incredibly scoring depth on the bottom six while having top 6 upside (Leivo can shoot the damn puck). Hoping for a Leivo - Gauthier - Leipsic third line the future.

Hard to predict 8 years out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad