Josh Leivo

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Odd comment from Babcock considering Levo was returning from injury.

I wouldn't expect a player like that to be at 100%.

I doubt his comments were specific to that game but rather an overall assessment. That's how I took it.

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011
Leivo is pretty skinny. Gunna have to put on some muscle.

He's not skinny, he's over 200lbs now. He was 170 when he was drafted. He may have to step up his fitness level and lower body strength but he's a capable top9 forward for us through this rebuild or in a deal for a d man of the same age in offseason with all the young forwards we have coming up

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The Babcock comments are certainly an indicator for Marner.

Possibly but leipsic is 5'9" and like 170lbs and babs is likes what he sees from him. If mitch comes in and plays wity the right pace and isn't being rag dolled around it might not be a problem.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I think some people are making too big a thing of the comments by Babcock. Some players are naturally gifted & things have always come easy. In today's NHL they want you to not stop there, get physically stronger, take full advantage of the facilities they have provided you. If you're not giving that part of development a full commitment, they are not giving the team a full commitments. Many & I mean many CHL players need to clue into that & get the kick in the ass. Leivo's just getting the message a little later. Its up to him whether he takes notice. Management is watching everyone's commitment.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
He's not skinny, he's over 200lbs now. He was 170 when he was drafted. He may have to step up his fitness level and lower body strength but he's a capable top9 forward for us through this rebuild or in a deal for a d man of the same age in offseason with all the young forwards we have coming up

He has definetely bulked up over the last few years. I think Babcock is probably more concerned with his legs and skating, since Leivo has never been a great skater. His first few strides are not fantastic and neither is his overall speed.
If he can improve his skating even just a little bit I see no reason why he can't have a great career as a middle 6 winger. The guy has a natural ability to score goals, good hands, good size and understands the offensive side of the game really well. And as many have noted he can win pick battles, he has always been really slippery in the corners and tight spaces... now that he has size he can beat guys in a few different ways.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Possibly but leipsic is 5'9" and like 170lbs and babs is likes what he sees from him. If mitch comes in and plays wity the right pace and isn't being rag dolled around it might not be a problem.

Leipsic and Hyman have superior intelligence on and off the rink, that's why their able to succeed. They've just got that IT factor.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I think he's going to be a long-term fixture in the bottom-6. He can shoot and assist with the possession side of the game with his board work.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Traded (part of a package) before next season. Not a fit long term.

The new management philosophy isn't to trade every player who can score goals. Their philosophy is to trade older players on expiring or expensive contracts while drafting and developing skilled youth. Leivo clearly belongs to the latter group so he's not going anywhere. Babcock wouldn't be providing summer training advice to a guy who isn't going to be around in the fall.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leivo has size, and can score.. Put some muscle and strength on him, and he can be a real asset down low, and along the boards. I think he can be a real power forward, and that is what I believe Babcock is pushing him to be.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The new management philosophy isn't to trade every player who can score goals. Their philosophy is to trade older players on expiring or expensive contracts while drafting and developing skilled youth. Leivo clearly belongs to the latter group so he's not going anywhere. Babcock wouldn't be providing summer training advice to a guy who isn't going to be around in the fall.

Is that why they've shipped out a ton of youngsters over the past year?

Just because Leivo has a few skills and considered a prospect doesn't exempt him from being traded to another team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Leivo has size, and can score.. Put some muscle and strength on him, and he can be a real asset down low, and along the boards. I think he can be a real power forward, and that is what I believe Babcock is pushing him to be.

I like this line of thinking and maybe this is exactly what's happening and will happen, not just with Leivo but every single player in the organization. First, determine what is Leivo's ceiling. OK, real power forward, someone capable of playing in the top 6. Even if he only has a 1% shot of getting there, set the bar exactly that high, tell him he can get there and tell him exactly what he has to do to get there. Now if Leivo really wants it, if he listens and does exactly what he is told and works his butt off, maybe he gets there. And that 1% is just as an example, I think Leivo has some pretty decent raw tools, if he puts his mind to it, you never know what he could turn into.

Listan to life coach Babcock and be all you can be.

:yo:

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Just because Leivo has a few skills and considered a prospect doesn't exempt him from being traded to another team.

You mean the youngster Phil Kessel who is on the decline? Matt Frattin doesn't count either.

No they haven't been shipping out "youngsters" over the past year. In fact they've been accumulating picks and prospects.

Any player is tradeable for the right price but unless teams start offering high end prospects or first round picks guys like Leivo aren't going anywhere.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Always saw Leivo as a healthy poor man's Lupul, 2/3rd line goal scoring winger.

I think he has a good shot at being a long-time Leaf. Can't teach the shot, can teach the fitness, especially when Babs just called him out.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

Huh? Exactly which young players, worth a damn, have they shipped out? Do you think "a ton" means zero because I can't think of any.

In fact, it's quite the opposite. See: Kapanen, Lindberg, Harrington, Corrado, Soshnikov, Smith.

Obviously any player can be traded but your reasoning is waaaaaaaay off.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
True. I am a bit biased because I see josh doing good work against the boards which makes me think he is strong, but I will not question babcock. Haha

leivo has very good instincts when it comes to using his body to shield and win pucks. it's one of his great strengths along with his shot and hands.

but there's no question his skating is his biggest issue - and if he's adding to his lack of speed with either laziness or lack of stamina then that'll cripple his career.

Last edited:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I like Leivo. I think he's a good goal scorer.

He also made some pretty sick passes which I didn't really know he was capable of.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well, I won't be unhappy if there is a McDavid for Leivo or Subban for Leivo straight up trade. I think at this point of the rebuild, anyone can be trade. It is the return that matters. Is Leivo worth a 2nd or 3rd for the Leafs, probably not. Is Leivo and one of the SJ 2nd worth say Trouba, maybe.
Won't say Leivo will be Leafs for life but he seems to have the skills to become a solid-good player, thus if he is traded, it won't be a throw in but rather a Center piece of that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad