Josh Leivo

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
leivo doesnt play that physical as i thought or hoped...he should get a lot stronger and bigger...he can definitely work a lot harder out there, and do more komarov like gritty hustle stuff along boards and net

he skates fine and shot looks good...but doesnt have much puck skills and passing is average at best...so he needs to work and forecheck a lot harder imo

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
No they haven't been shipping out "youngsters" over the past year. In fact they've been accumulating picks and prospects.

You can accomplish both tasks simultaneously which is what the leafs have done. Granted all were justified but your earlier comment about

Their philosophy is to trade older players on expiring or expensive contracts while drafting and developing skilled youth

is valid if the leafs feel Leivo is a fit moving forward NOT because of his age and potential. With the amount of prospects coming through the pipe line over the next three to five years the leafs won't be able to keep everyone. They will begin packaging groups of prospects to fill the missing voids.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
leivo doesnt play that physical as i thought or hoped...he should get a lot stronger and bigger...he can definitely work a lot harder out there, and do more komarov like gritty hustle stuff along boards and net

he skates fine and shot looks good...but doesnt have much puck skills and passing is average at best...so he needs to work and forecheck a lot harder imo

He has excellent puck skills if anything.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
We sent 5 prospects to NYI for Grabner.

As we stock up on picks, similar deals will happen in the future. The 50 contract limit will make it a bit difficult to keep those long term project picks under team control. So we'll either cast off unwanted players through trade or waivers.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You can accomplish both tasks simultaneously which is what the leafs have done. Granted all were justified but your earlier comment about

is valid if the leafs feel Leivo is a fit moving forward NOT because of his age and potential. With the amount of prospects coming through the pipe line over the next three to five years the leafs won't be able to keep everyone. They will begin packaging groups of prospects to fill the missing voids.

You said earlier Leivo wasn't a fit here. Why do you say that? If he develops into good a power forward, seems like exactly what we need.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You said earlier Leivo wasn't a fit here. Why do you say that? If he develops into good a power forward, seems like exactly what we need.

I don't understand either. I think Leivo will be a good bottom 6 forward for us with good PP ability. I think he can compliment other skilled forwards. You need this as well.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
We sent five prospects that didn't excel in the Ahl, let alone NHL. Leave is doing well in both. The other players didn't fit into the managements long term plans.

As we stock up on picks, similar deals will happen in the future. The 50 contract limit will make it a bit difficult to keep those long term project picks under team control. So we'll either cast off unwanted players through trade or waivers.

I agree, I was mostly pointing out the only time we traded young assets recently. Obviously we weren't too worried about them.

Gibson is the only prospect that I have heard any mention of since being traded.

Mat Fratthouse

Jan 30, 2013
Hogtown
one thing that Leivo has that a lot of our prospects dont is size. he has a nice shot and the size to get into the dirty areas for rebounds and tips. I could see him excelling with a skilled centre. I think until we draft and develop some bigger power forwards he can warm the seat till then along with JVR.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
how does lupul or michalek get 2nd or 3rd line LF over this kid...lol they might, he'll at least start on 4th line next season

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The way I see it -- Leivo will get treated almost like a guy on a PTO, and may have to compete with somebody on a PTO for a spot in the lineup next year.

Realistically, Nylander will start the season with the Leafs. There's nothing more for him to learn in the AHL. Marner will at the very least get his 10 games, as there's not much more for him in the O, and he can't go to the AHL.

If Leivo can improve his speed and strength in the offseason, he'll likely be a lock for the team. If not, and he gets outperformed by somebody on a PTO, then he'll either be shopped, or placed on waivers. Does anyone know if his qualifying offer would be 1-way or 2-way?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Perhaps we have a 2nd line winger on our hands in Leivo. A little bit early but he's got the makings of a 20-25 goal scorer who can be a good presence on the boards, and decent in the defensive end.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I feel he will be our late pick that really flourishes once were competitive. Played with him when we were younger and always cheered for him and now he's really turning out better then anyone expected. Great development so far

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If he makes his hay in front of the net, he's got a bit of that Dino Ciccarelli feel to him.

Really like his game.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
He reminds me of Stumpy. Doesn't really wow you or excel at anything in particular but he has a knack for putting the puck in the net.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The way I see it -- Leivo will get treated almost like a guy on a PTO, and may have to compete with somebody on a PTO for a spot in the lineup next year.

Realistically, Nylander will start the season with the Leafs. There's nothing more for him to learn in the AHL. Marner will at the very least get his 10 games, as there's not much more for him in the O, and he can't go to the AHL.

If Leivo can improve his speed and strength in the offseason, he'll likely be a lock for the team. If not, and he gets outperformed by somebody on a PTO, then he'll either be shopped, or placed on waivers. Does anyone know if his qualifying offer would be 1-way or 2-way?

Guys who shoot the puck like Leivo don't hit the waiver wire.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Very true but Leivo has a unique skillset with that snipers scoring touch and trading him would be sacrificing offense.

I think Leipsic is more likely to get moved with smallish skilled forwards like Marner and Timashov on the horizon. The team can only keep so many small forwards.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad