Josh Leivo

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
I want to see a Leivo-Kadri-Brown line and hope he makes the team. It's his fitness that's the problem but I love the way he battles on the boards and snipes. Why develop a player to just trade him? He definitely has confidence.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I see a future 20 goal scorer in Leivo.

Hopefully he commits to his off ice conditioning.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Great stuff. My favourite prospect since the Morrison interview on his draft day and even more after watching many Marlies games in his first AHL season. I hope he can continue.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if he comes back next year stronger and even better on his skates, he can be a very good forward for us, he can really shoot it already

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leivo response to Babcock... I don't need no speed or strength, I need the puck. Just make sure someone gets me the puck.

You have to love that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He didn't actually say that, did he? Hope not.

Haha no no, he hasn't needed to use so much as a word so far to send that message. It's a beautiful thing, actions speak louder than words and all.

Mad Brills*

He should be a lock right? Isn't he waiver eligible next season?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
And to think we just voted him only our 8th best prospect. Ridiculous. Guy is clearly already an NHL quality player. His upside depends on his conditioning, but he looks well on his way to being a 2nd line winger.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think we might be overhyping here guys :)

He's somewhere between a 2nd to 3rd line guy, need a bigger sample size to really see.

He has a lot of tools, he's great on the boards, great shot, great stick. His passing could be a bit better and his conditioning apparently could be questionable.

He can improve his fitness quite easily if he commits to it.

Been a Leivo fan since day one so I am glad he is working out.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I think we might be overhyping here guys :)

He's somewhere between a 2nd to 3rd line guy, need a bigger sample size to really see.

He has a lot of tools, he's great on the boards, great shot, great stick. His passing could be a bit better and his conditioning apparently could be questionable.

He can improve his fitness quite easily if he commits to it.

Been a Leivo fan since day one so I am glad he is working out.

I respectfully disagree, I think as a whole Leafs Nation under values him as a prospect (as seen by our prospect voting). He is one of our most NHL ready prospects, and unlike some of the others (Percy, Harrington) he has a higher upside. I'm not expecting 1st line potential from him, but surely not 4th line either. You were right when you said 2nd to 3rd, but as he is in fact hitting his potential (and not just projecting it 3 years away) we should be pumped. He helps fill an important role for us - a team without many goal scorers. Unlike guys like Johnson and Timashov who may have higher upside, he's already here!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Throw him on the 3rd line with a good passer and he can be the trigger-man on that line.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I respectfully disagree, I think as a whole Leafs Nation under values him as a prospect (as seen by our prospect voting). He is one of our most NHL ready prospects, and unlike some of the others (Percy, Harrington) he has a higher upside. I'm not expecting 1st line potential from him, but surely not 4th line either. You were right when you said 2nd to 3rd, but as he is in fact hitting his potential (and not just projecting it 3 years away) we should be pumped. He helps fill an important role for us - a team without many goal scorers. Unlike guys like Johnson and Timashov who may have higher upside, he's already here!

I would say he was undervalued as a prospect by a lot of people, but now with the success he's having we're hearing "30 goal scorer!" - just think it's gone too far now in the opposite direction. 30 goals is 1st line material though...

I was surprised when Leivo was not on the team to start the year but I guess they didn't want him getting bombed nightly because of our crappiness.

Either way if he keeps this up we'll have to shut him down for the season :)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
if this is how he produces when he's out of shape a bit then I can't wait to see him fully fit. The kid is a machine all he does is score. No doubt in my mind with a full 82 game schedule he could score 25+goals. He has an NHL shot and he's a big body. The goals he scored in CGY and EDM were great shots, absolute rockets top shelf. Even the goal last night the puck was in and out of the net before Ward even reacted lol

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
leivo might have the upside but i think as some of our kids start to move up he will be passed in the depth chart.

i think he is probably a 2nd/3rd line tweener. we have quit a few of those potentially in the pipeline though in lipseic, brown, kapanen, johnson, timashov, shoshnikov, etc, etc.

in the short term i think he will be good but i feel like he will be a stop gap and not a core piece. i do like him though and would feel good about him being a fixture on the 3rd line. something like leivo-kadri-lipseic

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
leivo might have the upside but i think as some of our kids start to move up he will be passed in the depth chart.

i think he is probably a 2nd/3rd line tweener. we have quit a few of those potentially in the pipeline though in lipseic, brown, kapanen, johnson, timashov, shoshnikov, etc, etc.

in the short term i think he will be good but i feel like he will be a stop gap and not a core piece. i do like him though and would feel good about him being a fixture on the 3rd line. something like leivo-kadri-lipseic

The leafs aren't allowed nice things like goal scorers on the team. God no.

Get rid of him before we contend for the playoffs! :sarcasm:

Let's wallow in losing and Prozac.

Seriously guys who shoot like Jamie Benn aren't bottom six.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

such a debbie downer lol tear the kid down before he gets going so there is room for the other kids.. And then we can tear those kids down before for the next group get going. Round and round we go

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
if this is how he produces when he's out of shape a bit then I can't wait to see him fully fit. The kid is a machine all he does is score. No doubt in my mind with a full 82 game schedule he could score 25+goals. He has an NHL shot and he's a big body. The goals he scored in CGY and EDM were great shots, absolute rockets top shelf. Even the goal last night the puck was in and out of the net before Ward even reacted lol

I'd be happy if he hit 15, 25+ you are talking a legit NHL sniper. Not saying he can;t do it but that would be an incredible surprise for us to have actually drafted a goal score..

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
such a debbie downer lol tear the kid down before he gets going so there is room for the other kids.. And then we can tear those kids down before for the next group get going. Round and round we go

I don't think he's tearing him down at all.

As much as I love Leivo, the assessment you are quoting is not that far off. The thing is, switch Leivo's name with any one of the names mentioned in that post and it would still ring true.

That's a good thing.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'd be happy if he hit 15, 25+ you are talking a legit NHL sniper. Not saying he can;t do it but that would be an incredible surprise for us to have actually drafted a goal score..

you'll be happy if Leivo scores 15in an 82 game schedule. I'll bet he hits at least 20 next year over a full season. The guy can shoot the puck, he's a big body, if what Babcock said is true and his fitness is a bit of an issue right now then I can't wait to see him at full fitness. We'll just agree to disagree. I think he could score 15 in his sleep in the future.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Imo I think a lot of the voters on the poll vote based on potential and not nhl readiness. I've asked if they could post guidelines for the prospect analysis for the rankings.

Leivo is doing great. Very glad for him, but I can see what babcock was talking about. Even on his goal he was stuggling to keep up with the play, he doesn't disrupt as many plays as leipsic and doesn't get to as many pucks as he does when in the ahl. This offseason will be very important for him.
We are routing for you josh!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad