Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Have any of you ever played sports? Possibly at a level where you began to fail with regularity? How can you be so certain that it's a character flaw as opposed to a lack of ability?

Because you can see his ability, so the rest is just mental. Maybe he doesn't have that, but that's awfully disappointing since understanding the game is the easier part of the two.

Also, nobody got all pissy off Schremp went to Europe. If it's "just like Schremp" why not act like it's "just like Schremp"? Because Garth Snow wasted a 1st round pick? It wasn't the first one he wasted (O'Marra) and it wasn't the last (Bellows).

Some people are saying good riddance just like they did with Schremp. I'm saying it's unfortunate and not a good look for him, it won't help him get into the NHL if that's what he ultimately wants.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

He asked for a trade, and Lou told him to stay home. I guess not reporting isn't a character flaw anymore.. or instead asking for a trade is a character flaw. Or like whatever happens whatever will be a character flaw.

Reactions: Strummergas

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And it was no secret at the time that the pick was a "home-run swing" with a very real possibility of not working out. Well, here we are. I don't understand the anger. This isn't Kirk Muller refusing to play for the team.

I think you're misinterpreting the feeling. I'm certainly not angry, just disappointed. He was absolutely a home run swing and he looked really good, like it might pan out, and now there's another stumbling block.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Good riddance. Time for this to come to an end.

I think you're misinterpreting the feeling. I'm certainly not angry, just disappointed. He was absolutely a home run swing and he looked really good, like it might pan out, and now there's another stumbling block.

It's kind of baffling isn't it? 3 years ago I thought he would be an important part of our future.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Because you can see his ability, so the rest is just mental. Maybe he doesn't have that, but that's awfully disappointing since understanding the game is the easier part of the two.

Anybody else who is involved in youth sports find that amusing? Lol - the mental part is "easy".

Some people are saying good riddance just like they did with Schremp. I'm saying it's unfortunate and not a good look for him, it won't help him get into the NHL if that's what he ultimately wants.

you're awfully invested.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Ultimately, that's his problem then isn't it? A consequence of his stubbornness is no NHL career. It's on him.

I don't think any of this matters in the long-run. If he gets his shit together outside of NA, there will be no shortage of NHL teams looking for his services should he want to return.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He asked for a trade, and Lou told him to stay home. I guess not reporting isn't a character flaw anymore.. or instead asking for a trade is a character flaw. Or like whatever happens whatever will be a character flaw.

I certainly wasn't implying he didn't report without team consent, but that him needing time to either accept that he was going back to the AHL or whether he needed time to contemplate his future playing in North America was a bad.

Lamoriello telling him to stay off the ice while he works on a trade definitely changes the perception a bit.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think a change of scenery is best. He needs to go to a team with low expectations and that isn’t so geared towards defense. I believe he can absolutely still be an nhl player.

We won’t get much if anything for him but it’s probably best to part was at this point for the Islander and for Ho-Sang himself. I met him a few times and he was a really nice kid. Wish him the best.

Reactions: Rengi and Quicklime

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

That's your perception of his play, I guess. Outside of occasional flashes, I never saw any indication that it was going to work out. The only thing about him that was consistent was his inconsistency.

The reality is neither one of us are really qualified to make any kind of quality assessment. The Isles have made their assessment. Now with the trade request, we'll see what the assessment of other NHL organizations is

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

This just sounds like Ho-Sang thinks he's better than he really is.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anybody else who is involved in youth sports find that amusing? Lol - the mental part is "easy".

Comparing youth sports to professional athletes, lol. Sorry, showing up to work, putting in effort, and sticking to a system isn't overly difficult.

you're awfully invested.

Says the guy taking just as much time to post on the topic as I am. :huh:

Ultimately, that's his problem then isn't it? A consequence on his stubbornness is no NHL career. It's on him.

Of course.

I don't think any of this matters in the long-run. If he gets his **** together outside of NA, there will be no shortage of NHL teams looking for his services should he want to return.

I don't think he'll get another opportunity if he leaves for Europe, but we'll see.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Part of me wants there to be no takers for Ho-Sang in a trade so he can hit "rock bottom" and realize that no one thinks he's NHL quality right now. The return in a trade is probably going to be so insignificant that I'd rather keep him in the system until there's an injury or some other form of opportunity for him in the middle six.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Comparing youth sports to professional athletes, lol. Sorry, showing up to work, putting in effort, and sticking to a system isn't overly difficult.

Says the guy taking just as much time to post on the topic as I am. :huh:

Of course.

I don't think he'll get another opportunity if he leaves for Europe, but we'll see.

Like I said before, most players who take that route don't. But it's largely because their game hasn't changed to the extent it needs to in order for renewed interest from North America.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if there is a team with a roster spot and a GM/coach combo that would JHS-friendly?

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Every team in the nhl passed on this guy so why would somebody trade a draft pick for him then? Obviously nobody in the nhl wants him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Part of me wants there to be no takers for Ho-Sang in a trade so he can hit "rock bottom" and realize that no one thinks he's NHL quality right now. The return in a trade is probably going to be so insignificant that I'd rather keep him in the system until there's an injury or some other form of opportunity for him in the middle six.

It depends if he's a distraction in the room or not. I wouldn't want to just give him away because like him or not he's a good guy to have in case you need a call up to a skilled player (depending on how Trotz actually views him). If he's a distraction he has to go for anything they can get.

Every team in the nhl passed on this guy so why would somebody trade a draft pick for him then? Obviously nobody in the nhl wants him.

There is a limit on how many contract teams can carry at 50. Early in the year a lot of teams are close to that number so they can't claim players and might want to trade instead to not increase the contract number. The other part is that if he's traded while on the NHL roster and the team acquiring him wants him to start in the minors then Ho-Sang would've had to clear waivers for them. Now if he's traded he can report to their AHL team and be recalled when they want with no fear of losing him.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Kvashin

Aug 14, 2005
Ha - traded? How and to what team? He couldn’t be given away. Freaking report and keep your mouth shut. Light it up, ask to kill penalties and keep working on D and positioning. The recall would have come at some point and even if it didn’t - become an AHL allstar or a ppg player and then a UFA. He’s toast now along with any chance of donning an NHL sweater anytime soon if ever again. There’s no telling what could have happened even in the next two weeks. Injuries, severe lack of scoring, etc that might have gotten him the call. And sure he and Thompson likely don’t get along. Not everyone loves their boss but geez. Thompson had some good quotes about JHS. There’s probably a sliver of a chance that he can possibly still fix this but I’m not sure how. Can they just release him or pay him to go away?

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Nobody wanted him when they had to clear space on their NHL roster, but someone might be willing to offer an unimpressive late round pick now that he's cleared waivers and can be put in the AHL? I dont see the return being much at all, rather addition by subtraction.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The entire NHL didn't want him...for free.

Hickey has been in the league for 8 years. Why didn't he take a few days? Wahlstrom?
To be fair, during waivers nobody would take his contract without shedding a contract. Now to get rid of him we’ll take back a contract for balance.

At any rate, bye bye Josh. This was always on you.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

You oversleep once and you’re marked for life around here.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
To be fair, during waivers nobody would take his contract without shedding a contract. Now to get rid of him we’ll take back a contract for balance.

At any rate, bye bye Josh. This was always on you.

Im envisioning a reclamation project for reclamation project sort of trade if it happens - taking back someone else's ~$900K AHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad