Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I’ve always defended Ho-Sang and still think he to an extent that an argument can be made for having him on the team, but he really just keeps shooting himself in the foot over and over with this BS. Its such an odd situation because he doesn’t seem like a bad guy personally, has never gotten in trouble or anything like that. He just doesn’t seem to “get” what it means to be a professional.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
At this point, it really doesn't matter. Kid has been his own worst enemy.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Crikey. Everyone's opinion about him is always out of whack. On the one hand it's clear that NYI have no plans for him - he just isn't productive enough to be top-6 and doesn't do what he needs to do to be bottom-6. Whether he is at BPT today, tomorrow, next week, or never makes no difference to y'all or me or anyone else. He could be figuring out a mutual release with NYI, trying to find a job in Europe, or sitting out awaiting a trade, or any combination. And that's fine. Why does this have to be evidence of anything? Jeez.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Crikey. Everyone's opinion about him is always out of whack. On the one hand it's clear that NYI have no plans for him - he just isn't productive enough to be top-6 and doesn't do what he needs to do to be bottom-6. Whether he is at BPT today, tomorrow, next week, or never makes no difference to y'all or me or anyone else. He could be figuring out a mutual release with NYI, trying to find a job in Europe, or sitting out awaiting a trade, or any combination. And that's fine. Why does this have to be evidence of anything? Jeez.

That's probably what it is.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
It's sad. I root for the crest. I want the Islanders to win a cup. Whomever is on board to do it, I am a fan of. I have been ripped apart by Ho-Sang apologists on this board numerous times.

This dude is no longer a prospect. The rest of the NHL could have had him for free....at a minimal salary...and didn't want him. He is not an NHL player...and it isn't due to his skill. It is due to what is between his ears. Close this thread. He is no longer a part of the future. Not showing up to Bridgeport solidifies it.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I posted this last week in the previous thread (looks like we may have the answer):

Getting ahead of things here, but I will be curious what happens if JHS doesn't make the cut and then passes through waivers.

41bLOX0A04L.jpg

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Those are not good comments from Thompson. I'm pretty disappointed he never learned how to be an adult about these things. Hickey went down and didn't need a few days to collect himself. Ho-Sang should've been the first to report and been on the ice early every day.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Those are not good comments from Thompson. I'm pretty disappointed he never learned how to be an adult about these things. Hickey went down and didn't need a few days to collect himself. Ho-Sang should've been the first to report and been on the ice early every day.

Correct. And who knows if this was a Test by Lam or Trotz. Go down. Take your medicine...and you will be back in 2 weeks. But he can't get out of his own way

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Why are we assuming that this is Ho-Sang being an asshole? Maybe he asked the team for a couple of days to figure out what he wants to do and to weigh what options he has? This would not run counter to Thompson 's quote. I doubt his first choice is to play in the AHL, and unless Lou is working on a trade, there doesn't seem to be much interest in him from other NHL teams. Perhaps he's contemplating Europe? I don't think the Isles would prevent him from leaving the organization.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Why are we assuming that this is Ho-Sang being an *******? Maybe he asked the team for a couple of days to figure out what he wants to do? I doubt his first choice is to play in the AHL, and unless Lou is working on a trade, there doesn't seem to be much interest in him from other NHL teams. Maybe he's contemplating Europe? Maybe he requested some time from management to sort things out? This would not run counter to Thompson 's quote.

What he should want to do is be an NHLer and be dedicated to that, which is why he shouldn't ask for time to see what he wants to do. If he's contemplating Europe and asked for time, which he may have, it's just an indication that he isn't willing to put the work in.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Why are we assuming that this is Ho-Sang being an *******? Maybe he asked the team for a couple of days to figure out what he wants to do and to weigh what options he has? This would not run counter to Thompson 's quote. I doubt his first choice is to play in the AHL, and unless Lou is working on a trade, there doesn't seem to be much interest in him from other NHL teams. Perhaps he's contemplating Europe? I don't think the Isles would prevent him from leaving the organization.

The entire NHL didn't want him...for free.

Hickey has been in the league for 8 years. Why didn't he take a few days? Wahlstrom?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
What he should want to do is be an NHLer and be dedicated to that, which is why he shouldn't ask for time to see what he wants to do. If he's contemplating Europe and asked for time, which he may have, it's just an indication that he isn't willing to put the work in.

Not really. He can just as easily go to Europe, "put in the work" over there while getting paid a lot more than he would in the minors and re-gauge NHL interest at the end of whatever deal he signs.

Reactions: dano16

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The entire NHL didn't want him...for free.

Hickey has been in the league for 8 years. Why didn't he take a few days? Wahlstrom?

If you don't see why the situations with Wahlstrom and Ho-Sang are different, I don't know what to tell you. And Hickey has a one-way deal, so he's getting his salary no matter where he plays in North America.

And just because most North American players go a common route doesn't mean all players must do the same. I'm sure many NA players that have gone to Europe have done so with the hope of coming back to the NHL. It usually doesn't happen though, except for the Russian stars that have carte blanche to come and go as they please because of the lack of a transfer agreement.

Honestly, I think he should just go overseas already. His game is much better suited for certain Euro leagues and I'm really sick and tired of talking about him already.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not really. He can just as easily go to Europe, "put in the work" over there while getting paid a lot more than he would in the minors and re-gauge NHL interest at the end of whatever deal he signs.

How many North American guys who can't crack the NHL leave to Europe and then return later?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

The reason I think this is happening (with the team's blessing) is that they've made no statement on anything disciplinary. It sounds like Thompson knows that that there's some agreement w/management and he just doesn't want to answer any questions because he doesn't know.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
How many North American guys who can't crack the NHL leave to Europe and then return later?

Not many, but I'm sure most would like to. The fact that they went over there in the first place is probably an indication that they just don't have what it takes. That's pretty much how I feel about Ho-Sang's game.

So having said that, what's the difference whether he toils in the AHL or crosses the Atlantic? Either way, he's probably not going to be an NHL player. So what's the big deal if he needs a few days to make a big decision? He wouldn't be the first player in the history of the League to do such a thing.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The reason I think this is happening (with the team's blessing) is that they've made no statement on anything disciplinary. It sounds like Thompson knows that that there's some agreement w/management and he just doesn't want to answer any questions because he doesn't know.

Exactly. I know we like to "read between the lines" around these parts, but if you take Thompson's quote at face value, JHS needed a few days to figure stuff out and that he doesn't know if he'll be reporting to Bridgeport or going a different route. End of.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not many, but I'm sure most would like to. The fact that they went over there in the first place is probably an indication that they just don't have what it takes. That's pretty much how I feel about Ho-Sang's game.

So having said that, what's the difference whether he toils in the AHL or crosses the Atlantic? Either way, he's probably not going to be an NHL player. So what's the big deal if he needs a few days to make a big decision? He wouldn't be the first player in the history of the League to do such a thing.

He has the skills to be an NHLer, that's the issue. It's like Schremp all over again. He could be an NHLer if he actually dedicated himself to learning the pro game and listening to what his organization wants. Maybe he doesn't want to put in that effort and wants to make easy money in Europe, but contemplating the idea publicly is a bad look.

Unrelated to my above comment, Thomas Hickey handling things like a pro:

Exactly. I know we like to "read between the lines" around these parts, but if you take Thompson's quote at face value, JHS needed a few days to figure stuff out and that he doesn't know if he'll be reporting to Bridgeport or going a different route. End of.

Nobody is saying anything different. That is the problem.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
He has the skills to be an NHLer, that's the issue. It's like Schremp all over again. He could be an NHLer if he actually dedicated himself to learning the pro game and listening to what his organization wants.

Unrelated to my above comment, Thomas Hickey handling things like a pro:

And where's Schremp now? Ho-Sang leaving the team does not hurt the organization in any way. No one outside of some obsessive members of the fanbase is relying on this guy to elevate the team to another level. So why should he do things the way others have done it in the past, or the way WE want him to do it? Just let him go already. As you said, he's another Schremp, another Tambellni. These "ultra-skilled" guys are a dime a dozen. What's the big deal at this point?

And as I said before, Hickey is on a one-way contract so he's getting the same money playing in Bridgeport as he is in New York. That's a pretty big factor here.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He has the skills to be an NHLer, that's the issue. It's like Schremp all over again. He could be an NHLer if he actually dedicated himself to learning the pro game and listening to what his organization wants. Maybe he doesn't want to put in that effort and wants to make easy money in Europe, but contemplating the idea publicly is a bad look.

Have any of you ever played sports? Possibly at a level where you began to fail with regularity? How can you be so certain that it's a character flaw as opposed to a lack of ability?

Also, nobody got all pissy off Schremp went to Europe. If it's "just like Schremp" why not act like it's "just like Schremp"? Because Garth Snow wasted a 1st round pick? It wasn't the first one he wasted (O'Marra) and it wasn't the last (Bellows).

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Also, nobody got all pissy off Schremp went to Europe. If it's "just like Schremp" why not act like it's "just like Schremp"? Because Garth Snow wasted a 1st round pick? It wasn't the first one he wasted (O'Marra) and it wasn't the last (Bellows).

And it was no secret at the time that the pick was a "home-run swing" with a very real possibility of not working out. Well, here we are. I don't understand the anger. This isn't Kirk Muller refusing to play for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad