Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I just do not understand why he is still here. Just release him and if he catches on with another NHL franchise then good for him. It simply isn't going to happen for him here.

I mean they didn't even give him a chance to make this years team/taxi-squad. I get the feeling that Lou is just punishing him by not releasing him.

I agree. I was surprised he was qualified. I expected he would be in another team's training camp on a PTO.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The infatuation with JHS is mind numbing. He is not being punished. He is not good. His ego is the size of "the world." If he was sound defensively and played the Trotz system at least decently he'd be on the Isles. If he was decent don't ya think he would have been picked up by another NHL organization. Really wish the JHS threads would just go away. They pop up once the Isles lose or lose by shutout. Face it, JHS is not good. Good Riddance, enjoy Sweden and don't over sleep.

What's mind numbing is the number of JHS critics who make there way into a JHS thread, to announce their frustration that other fans are discussing JHS.

Are there no other threads on this isles board?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
No one can deny that this kid had talent that for the most part carried him through Juniors. You can see in this interview that he doesn't have the drive or seriousness required to take the next step and unfortunately
he is just about out of runway. He references that several players were "NHL capable guys" which is important to him as he feels he's "NHL capable" but unfortunately he doesn't equate that these guys probably have the same lack of drive / effort needed to play at the highest level or
they require constant motivation to get the most out of them. He may never see the ice of an NHL rink soon without buying a ticket If he doesn't ditch the "I am NHL ready" attitude and just go out and show them without saying a word
Speaking as someone who's made some high level hires over the years, I'll take hard work, dedication and personality all day over pedigree or what's considered talent on paper.

Still rooting for him.

It's kind of sad honestly.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
I love the people that think our owners would be ok with Lou basically lighting their money on fire by resigning JHS out of spite.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I love the people that think our owners would be ok with Lou basically lighting their money on fire by resigning JHS out of spite.

I'm not saying it's definitely what Lamoriello is doing, but there is value in making an example of someone. Lamoriello runs the team, nobody else. I don't think that PLD nonsense would've happened here.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
The infatuation with JHS is mind numbing. He is not being punished. He is not good. His ego is the size of "the world." If he was sound defensively and played the Trotz system at least decently he'd be on the Isles. If he was decent don't ya think he would have been picked up by another NHL organization. Really wish the JHS threads would just go away. They pop up once the Isles lose or lose by shutout. Face it, JHS is not good. Good Riddance, enjoy Sweden and don't over sleep.
If Ho-Sang isn't good than what is Dal Colle, and he averaged almost 1/2 a point a game in his brief 50 game career which is very intriguing, I have no idea how anyone thinks Johnston or Dal Colle are better options than Ho-Sang at this point.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
If Ho-Sang isn't good than what is Dal Colle, and he averaged almost 1/2 a point a game in his brief 50 game career which is very intriguing, I have no idea how anyone thinks Johnston or Dal Colle are better options than Ho-Sang at this point.
Do you take a beach cruiser mountain biking? Those players player a certain role that the coach wants in the lineup. A player like JHS or a Galchenyuk have limited purpose, some coaches are not interested in their defense lapses offsetting what may be offensive production.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Playing within Trotz' system, Ho-Sang only put up 2 points in 10 games, which isn't really better than what Dal Colle is doing offensively, while MDC is executing the system better than JHS has shown an ability to. And I'm really not concerned what JHS was able to do under Weight or Capuano since we aren't changing the system so he can score half a point per game.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Do you take a beach cruiser mountain biking? Those players player a certain role that the coach wants in the lineup. A player like JHS or a Galchenyuk have limited purpose, some coaches are not interested in their defense lapses offsetting what may be offensive production.

I wouldn't call a top 9 role and the PP limited purpose. Especially, with the team lacking depth on the TOP 6.

I would like to highlight that Ho-Sang in his 10 game call-up in Trotz' first full year was WAY improved - the selfish plays were less and he was sticking to the system and he looked good. He was given an opportunity to play with Filppula and then with Nelson and on the PP and did create a boatload of chances, but he simply did not produce enough - Eberle returned to health and he was shipped back to Bridgeport. Look at the tape of his games during that time - look at his advanced stats - awesome - granted small sample size, but they are insane.

With regards to his 10 game stint - He had two bad games back to back, which was also I assume got him sent down to Bridgeport and not to the press box... one game where he passed back on a breakaway.

I am a FAN of his Talent 100% - I root for him. What a story it would be to see him get through to the other side of this and be an NHL hockey player and leave all this BS behind him.

I also would like to say - There are moments watching him play where I pull my hair because of his inconsistent play away from the puck. He disengages too often, gets lazy, and does too much looping for me - instead pivoting and coming back hard on the play. I believe those are not uncoachable things - they are bad habits, but they are coachable.

Ho-Sang was the last player CUT last year. He was put on waivers and cleared and please do not make that a point. In today's NHL it is rare for players not to be picked up off waivers coming out of training camp - contract #, cap reasons, minors eligibility... teams prefer to similar play swaps. Josh took that hard and did something SO stupid... asked for a trade.

He has broken trust within the organization and he has lost his position on the depth chart, and the road back will be a long one. At the moment, Josh is tasked with repair - he has to work his ass off to repair that trust and climb up that depth chart. I think Chris Lamoriello's comments are indicative of that - Ho-Sang can go out there and show his team his worth and commitment. He'll take his lumps and play good hockey. If it doesn't work out, then he'll be a UFA next season, and let's see if he catches on with someone else. The hard lesson here is accountability.

I get that people are tired of hearing about him and this saga, but what I don't get is the Vitriol for Ho-Sang. It simply doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigtim1988

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I cant help believe that there's an element of fantasy league perception on our boards here, especially when it comes to JHS.
As many here have pointed out the GM and the coach have a philosophy and a game plan .
And in order for that to succeed all hands need to be rowing in the same direction.
Certainly had JHS exhibited the desire to be a team player and follow direction and dedicate himself to the cause he'd be here.
He has what this team has been so desperately looking for.
And that's the issue too many here only see the offense, they don't see the inconsistency's in his game that drive everyone crazy.
Continually drafting wingers to pair with PJ Boy and Barzal all the while having JHS?
He has skill no one doubts that it's his smarts or lack thereof people question.

Reactions: SI

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now

Dal Colle plays Trotz' system. Sound defensively, does what is asked. He is not here to score goals, if he "pots" one its a bonus. JHS does not play responsible Trotz hockey, hence why he is in Sweden. JHS would be here if we had Snow and Dougie running the show. I for one like this Trotz style much better. Winning 2-1 or 1-0 much better than losing 6-2 everynight with JHS scoring a "garbage-time goal" cutting the deficit to 4.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Playing within Trotz' system, Ho-Sang only put up 2 points in 10 games, which isn't really better than what Dal Colle is doing offensively, while MDC is executing the system better than JHS has shown an ability to. And I'm really not concerned what JHS was able to do under Weight or Capuano since we aren't changing the system so he can score half a point per game.
Ho-Sang looked very good in that 10 game call up as I recall and created several scoring chances beyond those 2 points, still remember a beautiful pass to Komorav that Leo could not bury, I do not remember 1 instance of any offensive skill that Dal Colle has shown in the 80+ games he has been an Islander.

Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Ho-Sang looked very good in that 10 game call up as I recall and created several scoring chances beyond those 2 points, still remember a beautiful pass to Komorav that Leo could not bury, I do not remember 1 instance of any offensive skill that Dal Colle has shown in the 80+ games he has been an Islander.

To piggyback on this - his line also generated and outshot their opposing team.
His Corsi was 59% possession with almost 60% defensive zone starts.

Reactions: Green

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Dal Colle plays Trotz' system. Sound defensively, does what is asked. He is not here to score goals, if he "pots" one its a bonus. JHS does not play responsible Trotz hockey, hence why he is in Sweden. JHS would be here if we had Snow and Dougie running the show. I for one like this Trotz style much better. Winning 2-1 or 1-0 much better than losing 6-2 everynight with JHS scoring a "garbage-time goal" cutting the deficit to 4.
Hmm, you do know the Islanders have a .623 winning percentage with Ho-Sang in the lineup? And in that aforementioned 10 game call up during the Trotz tenure the Islanders went 9-1, sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I wouldn't argue that Ho-Sang doesn't tend to have more memorable looking offense, his style is all about flashiness so of course he'll make plays that are more memorable. But at the end of the day, over the past couple seasons under Trotz, they have both put up points at the same rate of about 0.2pts/game. And that's not even factoring in that Ho-Sang's averaged 1:55 of PP time per game, as opposed to Dal Colle's 0:17.

Last edited:

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
We are an organization starved for talent , He is what he is and nobody is going to change him.
JHS , in his time up , has shown upside and for a team needing some talent on the 3rd line it is a no lose situation. You give him his shot and if nothing comes of it, you release him.
It not like we have 10 guys knocking on the door and he would be hindering their chances.

Reactions: SI and Green

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Hmm, you do know the Islanders have a .623 winning percentage with Ho-Sang in the lineup? And in that aforementioned 10 game call up during the Trotz tenure the Islanders went 9-1, sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about.
So, he was a driving force during that ten game run? Why are we STILL talking about this guy?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We are an organization starved for talent , He is what he is and nobody is going to change him.
JHS , in his time up , has shown upside and for a team needing some talent on the 3rd line it is a no lose situation. You give him his shot and if nothing comes of it, you release him.
It not like we have 10 guys knocking on the door and he would be hindering their chances.
What do you have to lose? Maybe rewarding a player that hasn’t demonstrated to the organization and his teammates he should be rewarded with NHL ice time?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You really think Ho-Sang is the answer?! :help: :sarcasm:
Yes, dammit, yes. I can't stay in the Josh Ho-Sang closet anymore. Of course he's the ANSWER, he's always been the ANSWER. I love Josh Ho-Sang, I've always loved Josh Ho-Sang. I love just saying the name Josh Ho-Sang, or even typing it. What is Lou's problem?!! Doesn't he know that the ANSWER to all of our offensive woes is just 4000 miles away in Finland or Sweden or wherever. Please bring Josh Ho-Sang back Lou. If you do I'll never say another lukewarm, mildly critical thing about you. Never, ever.

Ahhh, I feel so much better now. Thanks PK. It's been hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMI

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
What do you have to lose? Maybe rewarding a player that hasn’t demonstrated to the organization and his teammates he should be rewarded with NHL ice time?
Who is better than he is to get a chance ? Why qualify him ? It’s because they realize they have nothing else . So stop trying to change him , find out if he can cut it or not and move on.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
And in that aforementioned 10 game call up during the Trotz tenure the Islanders went 9-1, sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about.

If your wife is faithful for 9 days, then cheats on you with a goat on the 10th, do you still trust her? Or, do you worry every time you pass a farm?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad