Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No I don't!!!

Does anyone really think last Thursday's win, Saturday's loss, or yesterday's win had any relation to Ho-Sang?

Wait a minute.

Nope.
What the hell does one thing have to do with the other? Nowhere in my comments did I equate the word "distraction" with the world ceasing to spin on it's axis. The fact that the season rolls on and that the Isles continue to compete in games that produce results does not mean that the JHS situation is not a distraction.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
What the hell does one thing have to do with the other? Nowhere in my comments did I equate the word "distraction" with the world ceasing to spin on it's axis. The fact that the season rolls on and that the Isles compete in games that produce results does not mean that the JHS situation is not a distraction.

I think it distracts you, and other people who click on articles filled with the same old tripe we've been reading for years. Beyond that, I see no evidence if affects the team. I suspect they all roll their eyes like I do when it gets brought up and move on.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No I don't!!!

Does anyone really think last Thursday's win, Saturday's loss, or yesterday's win had any relation to Ho-Sang?

Wait a minute.

Nope.

Agreed.

That said Ho-Sang is a distraction to us, so the sooner the Isles get rid of him the sooner we can get rid of threads about him and devote our energies to discussing actual players that can help the Isles become Cup contenders.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think it distracts you, and other people who click on articles filled with the same old tripe we've been reading for years. Beyond that, I see no evidence if affects the team. I suspect they all roll their eyes like I do when it gets brought up and move on.
I don't click on the articles about Ho-Sang. I don't read them. He's a part time player of little consequence to the future of the Isles. But I know reporters are asking questions of coaches and staff constantly about him because, completely irrationally in my view, some fans have an appetite for it. I am not one of them so you've got me in the wrong box.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Weird that HoSang is such a distraction yet the team is 32-16-4 with him. Not exactly a small sample size. We could use some more distractions like that given how things have gone the past 20 years around here!

If the team is going to trade him then there's nothing to stop that and we'll move on, but acting like the team can't win with him or that he prevents the team from winning when in the lineup is just contrary to what's actually happened.

Personally, I think a guy who can drive possession with also-rans like Komorov and Flippula, even while taking 60%+ of faceoffs in the defensive zone, is something that this team can use. Maybe the goals + assists weren't there, but usually a <5% shooting percentage (along with uncharacteristically low shooting %s by Lee and co, when Ho Sang was on their line despite plenty of good opportunities) regresses toward the mean. Yes, HoSang is a flawed player and a lot of the criticism here is legit, but maybe we shouldn't dismiss some of the good things that he does do when on the ice. It's not like we have any flawless players on the roster (aside from maybe Barzal!)

If there's off the ice stuff, then that's unfortunate, but I'll wait until I see it from a reliable source. I'd rather Trotz have scratched him for a game or two to send a message rather than back to the AHL. Even worse than the demotion though would be trading this kid for peanuts.

Last edited:

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
I see some people on here questioning IB and getting him confused with others so I will tell you guys what I know(Eklund is the one who has Flyer connections, sry don't remeber which poster here confused the two)

I think I explained this on Islander Mania not sure on here but anyway, IB is a bookie who takes bets from NHL players and there are a A LOT of Isles in players in particular that he works with. Won't mention current names but past players like Tavares, Okposo, and Strome etc were big with this. This is all 100% fact. I had that hockey radio show this past summer and had a lot of prominent guests on and talking with the Islander related ones off air they all pretty much know this. Off the top of my head Bob has broken Subban being traded, Devils getting Hall, Moulson/Vanek trade, Frederik Andersen to Toronto, Nielsen signing with Detroit etc. He's legit when it comes to the NHL and even moreso with the Isles.

Just wanted to pass this along.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Weird that HoSang is such a distraction yet the team is 32-16-4 with him. Not exactly a small sample size. We could use some more distractions like that given how things have gone the past 20 years around here!

I think a lot of that is coincidence. But...

If there's off the ice stuff, then that's unfortunate, but I'll wait until I see it from a reliable source.

100%

Reactions: dood

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
I’m another non verified twitter guy, but those of you who know my history know I don’t make stuff up.

I can say, without a doubt - this is 100% rumor and nobody I know around and within the team says otherwise.

He was sent down for one thing and one thing only. There’s no other story here, THIS time.

Reactions: Macch

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
I’m another non verified twitter guy, but those of you who know my history know I don’t make stuff up.

I can say, without a doubt - this is 100% rumor and nobody I know around and within the team says otherwise.

He was sent down for one thing and one thing only. There’s no other story here, THIS time.

I respect what you say but I have to say otherwise. I can say 100% that it is true and it was verified to me from someone very well connected to the team. I am not one to make things up either. Like I said, over the summer I had a lot of people from around the NHL in general and Isles related media personalities on show Off the Post; Potvin, Fischler, Burke, Staple, Gross etc. Not that I am even close to mainstream or a well known source but I still wouldn't make something up for the sake of it. It is 100% true and I am not saying that because Incarcerated Bob said it, which btw, he's legit and I told everyone on my above post how I know that

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011

I tend to believe you. I saw on twitter today a picture of this IB guy predicting JHS being traded 4 times in the last 4 years. Not a great record of success on this one.

My concern is how he's been dogging it since he's been sent down. I've watched the games. He's doing a lot of sulking.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

If the team is going to trade him then there's nothing to stop that and we'll move on, but acting like the team can't win with him or that he prevents the team from winning when in the lineup is just contrary to what's actually happened.

Personally, I think a guy who can drive possession with also-rans like Komorov and Flippula, even while taking 60%+ of faceoffs in the defensive zone, is something that this team can use. Maybe the goals + assists weren't there, but usually a <5% shooting percentage (along with uncharacteristically low shooting %s by Lee and co, when Ho Sang was on their line despite plenty of good opportunities) regresses toward the mean. Yes, HoSang is a flawed player and a lot of the criticism here is legit, but maybe we shouldn't dismiss some of the good things that he does do when on the ice. It's not like we have any flawless players on the roster (aside from maybe Barzal!)

If there's off the ice stuff, then that's unfortunate, but I'll wait until I see it from a reliable source. I'd rather Trotz have scratched him for a game or two to send a message rather than back to the AHL. Even worse than the demotion though would be trading this kid for peanuts.
No one is dismissing the good things he does. He just doesn't do enough of them to stay in the NHL. Why so much ink and angst is devoted to him continues to mystify me.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
No one is dismissing the good things he does. He just doesn't do enough of them to stay in the NHL. Why so much ink and angst is devoted to him continues to mystify me.

Because this is an Isles message board and he was a first round pick of the New York Islanders?

A lot of people think he's played well (and possession metrics show that he's done at least one very important thing really well in the NHL) and the team has played great when he's in the lineup. Aside from Barzal, I havn't seen anyone on the team who can drive possession like JHS has done in limited action. On the other hand, some people don't think he's played as well, and don't think he fits into Trotz' system, so they have some valid reasons to disagree with the people impressed by him.

Add in his personality and it seems pretty obvious why he's discussed a lot. Hopefully you're not as mystified anymore.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
You said, "JHS is a distraction to this team."

But words, meaning, truth, etc. are meaningless concepts these days.

Get with it. He's a distraction that's not affecting the team at all.

The sooner this is resolved, the sooner, we, the fans, can go about our laser focus of building a Stanley Cup contender free of distraction.

Reactions: dano16 and Macch

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
To be clear this is just a guess by me.

I’m thinking somebody didn’t like that article about Ho-Sang in The Athletic and this is some getback.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Because this is an Isles message board and he was a first round pick of the New York Islanders?

A lot of people think he's played well (and possession metrics show that he's done at least one very important thing really well in the NHL) and the team has played great when he's in the lineup. Aside from Barzal, I havn't seen anyone on the team who can drive possession like JHS has done in limited action. On the other hand, some people don't think he's played as well, and don't think he fits into Trotz' system, so they have some valid reasons to disagree with the people impressed by him.

Add in his personality and it seems pretty obvious why he's discussed a lot. Hopefully you're not as mystified anymore.
No, I remain so, but this will be my last post on the topic. He has become like the Kardashians. They don't really do anything and nobody is sure why their as famous as they are, but they sure get a lot of headlines.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
No, I remain so, but this will be my last post on the topic. He has become like the Kardashians. They don't really do anything and nobody is sure why their as famous as they are, but they sure get a lot of headlines.

If the Kardashian's could drive possession with grinder third liners and go 32-16-4 when on the team like JHS does, they'd be an unstoppable force when you add-in their sex appeal.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
The second people start defending and acting like ICB is legit-is the second that person loses credibility.
Most of the hockey insiders are hacks as well pushing news just so people read there twitter accounts. Maybe MacKenzie and Friedman are the only ones who report legitimate news. Everyone else is just speculating from source they heard. Once in a while they get it right just like IB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad