Post-Game Talk: Josh Archibald has eliminated the Oilers from playoff contention

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You need to learn more about rare-event statistics dude

Losing faceoff directly leading to goal against happens like a couple times per season, it's not on high on the list of priorities that this team needs to fix right now.
Winning faceoffs in the playoffs is crucial. It's a huge part of the game. And we paid for it last night.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
1. You need to realize that winning 4 out of 24 D Zone face offs is not a winning recipe.
2. The reason why we lost OT was because we lost the face off...period
3. Working on face offs is an individual skill and not a team skill and in no way takes away from anything the team needs to work on.
4. Playoff hockey is often not about who plays the best but who makes the least mistakes. If you think that giving the opponents the puck 75% of the time they face off in our zone is not a big deal then thank god you are only an armchair coach.

And not a very good one at that.;)

Reactions: Benjamin Doveridge

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The tying goal is on McDavid 100%. Completely unforced turnover. Khaira lost his man on the 4-3 goal, puck-watching. He wasn't on the ice for the tying goal.
My bad. Sat in traffic writing.
But the 4-3was an ugly defwnsive miss. Such a floating style. No clue of whars going on around him.
NHL lecel body, AHL level talent

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
My bad. Sat in traffic writing.
But the 4-3was an ugly defwnsive miss. Such a floating style. No clue of whars going on around him.
NHL lecel body, AHL level talent
I've liked his game in the playoffs. He's a good soldier if he's making close to league minimum. He's not a center and it shows.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Brace yourselves for Kenny "fixing anything" cap wise.
His first move is probably Luke Glendenning for 3 years.. Yikes.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
100%. Even earlier in the game when we were up 2-0 or 2-1 or 3-1 you can tell he got a bit complacent and his line did not have the same drive and urgency. They had a bunch of chances to get dangerous shots on net and tried to make passing plays to pass the puck in the net. All which failed or led to them moving the puck to a less dangerous spot for the shot by over passing.

Example, there was a rush where Connor brought it in and I think he moved it off to Bear who returned the pass to Connor (nice play) who was in position A+++ with time and space to fire a shot on goal.... what does Connor do?... He delays looking for a pass... eventually he moves the puck to Nurse I think in a tighter and a bit more awkward spot (worse angle) with less time in close. Completely unnecessary pass as it wasn't even moving the goalie laterally.

The guy doesn't get it. He almost feel like his self worth is how sexy he can make goals look. That's not a playoff hockey play. It's arrogance thinking he can toy with the Jets while up 2-0 in the game and try to pass the puck in the net. You are not too good to fire a fu**ing puck on net Connor!

Get Drai off Connor's line. I think Drai is maybe able to get it and I don't want him learning Connor's bad habits.

I think actually the style of leatninh hockey kn Canada is the wrong edge here. In Canada, if Im correct, players are filed into roles, and clearly Connor has had the star/finess role. Dangle a bit, see the lane, open up space, wait fpr the puck while the dorecheckers get it. I europe, like Draisaitl, they play the whole game, from defense, voardbattle, checking, flrechecking, backcehcking (esp. As a center(, no given privileges. The whome gMe is running through the veins, not just being the finess star.

There is the main problem

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Brace yourselves for Kenny "fixing anything" cap wise.
His first move is probably Luke Glendenning for 3 years.. Yikes.

I actually line Hollands style of 1 year contracts Ir will be Glendening for 2 years max. First year he will shine, secobd year he will decline faster than Lucic 2017 style.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
According to someone on here, winning draws mean very little.;):laugh: Incredibly dumb timing to even post that after what happened in OT last night.

Its this new gobbledegook math. Hitting is bad, blocking shots is bad, winning faceoffs means nothing even though it does...

Yet an amazing amount of NHL goals come within 10secs of an offensive zone faceoff W. They are immensely dangerous. Especially clean faceoff wins which result in perfect set plays. The plays teams practice to perfection, for just this kind of opportunity.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
But not from Yama wristshots...;)

Really I could use ANY goal. He's 1 for last 28GP now. Abysmal. There he is in OT getting stoned twice again. lord..
The kid is just flat out forcing it now. He has skill but instead of making a great shot, he is just banging away and hoping. He went cold at the worst possible time. Stick him on the 4th line and leave him there to figure this out with a couple other bangers, and get some pressure off of him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Its this new gobbledegook math. Hitting is bad, blocking shots is bad, winning faceoffs means nothing even though it does...

Yet an amazing amount of NHL goals come within 10secs of an offensive zone faceoff W. They are immensely dangerous. Especially clean faceoff wins which result in perfect set plays. The plays teams practice to perfection, for just this kind of opportunity.
And draws aren't always clean either. So many of them are team draws, which Maurice mentioned the Jets did very well, in his post game presser. As I mentioned, amazingly, the weakling Nuge won 4 out of 5. Which means, McDrai, Khaira and McLeod got eaten alive.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The kid is just flat out forcing it now. He has skill but instead of making a great shot, he is just banging away and hoping. He went cold at the worst possible time. Stick him on the 4th line and leave him there to figure this out with a couple other bangers, and get some pressure off of him.

Actually he went stone cold around March. its been that long. One goal since March 8th afairc. But yeah just banging rubber. half the time missing the net. Its so bad with him that he's only averaging just over one sog/game even though he's planted in topsix all the time. Reality is in big boy playoff games he's just getting bounced all over the ice. I mean he tries, but reality is if you're his size you have to have elite skill or speed or something going. It can't just be hard work. Unless he's strictly a bottom role player and it looks firmly like thats where he should be.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
According to someone on here, winning draws mean very little.;):laugh: Incredibly dumb timing to even post that after what happened in OT last night.
You referring to me? I was all for throwing a prospect or late pick at Glendening at the deadline. Faceoff percentage isn't the be all/end all, but it's pretty important to win key draws in certain situations.

Not only did Stastny win that draw, he won it straight to Ehlers and it was immediately in our net.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wish he wasn’t suspended so we could see what tippett would do.
If Tippett did have that chance, I would hope he (and the rest of the team) would tell him, hey, that was a bad penalty there, and we're sure you know that, and we've all been there. But we have your back, you're one of us, and you've done too much for us already and we need you. That's what a TEAM does.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You referring to me? I was all for throwing a prospect or late pick at Glendening at the deadline. Faceoff percentage isn't the be all/end all, but it's pretty important to win key draws in certain situations.

Not only did Stastny win that draw, he won it straight to Ehlers and it was immediately in our net.
Not referring to you at all. If you go back a page or a few, you will see who the culprit clearly is.

Reactions: belair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad