Post-Game Talk: Josh Archibald has eliminated the Oilers from playoff contention

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Fixed that for ya.

He got his arena, his real estate thing, the Oilers were always a means to an end and his handling of the org has shown it.
I’m surprised he still spends to the cap then.

if I was him I’d spend to league floor and we could just be a feeder team like the 90s and early 2000s. Fans will show up anyways

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Nuge needs to go. Hopefully we can do a sign and trade and get something for him, but he's proven he needs to be carried in order to provide anything. I don't think I've seen less compete and will out of any other player in the playoffs.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
A lot of people calling out McDavid forget this team wouldn’t sniff the playoffs without him.
Mcdavid will drag us to the playoffs every year from here on. It’s what he does in them that will define his career. The regular season accolades mean nothing now.

Reactions: HK97

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Archi being suspended saves Tippett from having to bench his ass.

That Archibald got suspended for this confirms my thoughts at the time that this came close to a Major 5 minute penalty, which would have been even worse than what transpired. Remember when Vegas got railroaded by one of those?

It also confirms that the criticisms of Archibald were pretty legit. Not sure what the team is saying or thinking about this but that was a flat out submarining dirty play that was intended. He'd been a good player but you don't need that junk happening.

Reactions: nally

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
3 corsi wins, 3 real loses.

Our top guys don't seem to get that (especially in playoff hockey), pucks on net with traffic is extremely dangerous and difficult for goalies. When a goalie is on and playing well, shots set up in grade A positions arent as dangerous if the goalie is set and can see the puck.

You mess with the goalies mind and confidence when you are constantly sifting pucks on net with a lot of traffic in front of his eyes. Leads to a lot of rebounds or ricochets that could wind up on sticks for a shot on net with the goalie not really knowing where the puck is. It becomes more out of a goalie's control and chaotic than pretty passing plays where he can still see and track the puck well and be in position to make a great save.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Doesn't change the fact that his turnover was the mistake that caused the 4-4 goal.

Did he mention and accept responsibility for that play in the post game presser? A lot of good leaders would to deflect some of the heat from the team.

It was clearly a bad play especially since Tippett clearly said he put them on after the 4-3 goal because they were suppose to be "reliable". By my eye, they were one of the most UNreliable lines as far as leaking chances in the second half of the game.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Did he mention and accept responsibility for that play in the post game presser? A lot of good leaders would to deflect some of the heat from the team.

It was clearly a bad play especially since Tippett clearly said he put them on after the 4-3 goal because they were suppose to be "reliable". By my eye, they were one of the most UNreliable lines as far as leaking chances in the second half of the game.
That line was clearly shook from the 4-3 goal onward. It was the worst McDavid has looked as a professional hockey player.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That Archibald got suspended for this confirms my thoughts at the time that this came close to a Major 5 minute penalty, which would have been even worse than what transpired. Remember when Vegas got railroaded by one of those?

It also confirms that the criticisms of Archibald were pretty legit. Not sure what the team is saying or thinking about this but that was a flat out submarining dirty play that was intended. He'd been a good player but you don't need that junk happening.
Yes, it wasn't good, but how many dirty play suspensions does Archibald have in his career? People on here are making out like he does this on a yearly basis, and that he just shot their dog. Fact it, the guy plays hard and with a chip on his shoulder, and is mostly an honest guy for the style he plays. Hits like a truck, and is an excellent PKer, never afraid to go to the dirty areas, and is an above average skater. Prior to this one "egregious non-forgiveable" transgression, I think most on here never really had a problem with the player. Jeezus, now, he's public enemy #1, when the real enemies are out there wearing Jets colours, at least as long as we play them. Typical HFB's logic.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
That line was clearly shook from the 4-3 goal onward. It was the worst McDavid has looked as a professional hockey player.

It was a horrendous giveaway with some time and space and options. Bear was WIDE open for a reverse pass. Connor looked tentative and playing scared on that play like a raw rookie. Normal McD would have at least stopped up to buy himself time and space and reverse. Right play was to be poised, have head on a swivel and sling the puck back to Bear.

Reactions: CravenMH

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It was a horrendous giveaway with some time and space and options. Bear was WIDE open for a reverse pass. Connor looked tentative and playing scared on that play like a raw rookie. Normal McD would have at least stopped up to buy himself time and space and reverse. Right play was to be poised, have head on a swivel and sling the puck back to Bear.
Maybe he recognized that it really WAS Bear, and thought of other options?;)

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
What a terrible thread name. Archi made a bad play but certainly didn't lose us the game. The meltdown that ensued after is the fault of the group on the ice as well as on a coach that doesn't know when to call a f***ing timeout.

These 3 loses have been frustrating because we're outplaying them yet still losing. A few bounces in our favour and the series could easily be 2-1 if not 3-0 for us.

I'm not sure how management gets dragged into this conversation either. We were never labeled a contender this year and our GM agreed based on the deadline acquisitions. Anyone with a brain knows Holland's hands are tied with the garbage contracts and team chia left him. He is the last one to blame.

If I'm blaming anyone it's the players and the coaches at this point, although advanced stats tell an anomaly of outplaying a team in 3 straight games while still losing all 3. The effort was certainly there this game and we drove play. Even as a coach, you have to look at game 3 and like what you saw outside of the meltdown in the 3rd.

It's frustrating as hell being a fan through this, but gtfo if you're just going to cry about the makeup of the team. Everyone knew what we had going into this season and the expectations going into the playoffs, and we're not out yet.

In the history of going down 3-0, we are probably one of the few teams I'd put money on coming back because we've outplayed them every game. It's not like Tampa outplayed but just couldn't capitalize in the Tampa-Columbus series, Columbus outplayed them almost each game and that sweep was way more disappointing because they were cup favourites that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad