Post-Game Talk: Josh Archibald has eliminated the Oilers from playoff contention

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers, Crypto, Covid, and so on. Everything's normal and good.
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

This kind of hits home...

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Luck plays a huge part in the NHL playoffs and better teams than us have been bounced in the first round.

I don't think this should be a 3-0 series with how the games have been played but those are the breaks.

I do hope we let Nuge walk this offseason. He just brings nothing.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
As a Leaf fan, I've seen Tyler Bozak going from a -34 one season to a +6 in another, to winning the Cup with St.Louis. As pathetic as it was, he was 'the show'... and if his line didn't score, nobody was going to score. Bozak wasn't an elite offensive force, but he really was a smart decent two-way hockey player... that had to open his game up constantly. Although McDavid is elite, he's playing like Bozak use to, with knowledge that all the offense is on him. Please don't take this as a McDavid v.s. Matthews thing... but I think Matthews and Tavares have both been able to put more focus on their defensive game because they know that all the offense doesn't have to fall on just their line. The lack of secondary scoring doesn't just hurt offense, it hurts the defensive play of the select few offensive players you do have as well. Best of luck with the rest of the series.

TBH, I wish we had a Bozak in our team. Maybe two Bozaks.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Not as bitter as those who blame McDavid for everything lol

Just speaking the truth, but sure, whatever makes you feel better
Who has blamed mcdavid for "everything"? He is the reason we are even in the playoffs, but his play this series has not been good, big giveaway on the third goal.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
McDavid literally dragged this steaming pile of shit to the playoffs lol

then he went pointless for two games and came back with a 3 point game. The rest of the team has been able to muster up 1 goal combined. And the verdict is that McDavid needs to do more?

Swap McDavid with MacKinnon and this team will still be down 3-0 because the Jets only have to play defense against one line. We're a one line team, one line teams lose. It's that simple.

Boston was able to beat Washington because by adding Hall they became a two line team. Adding Hall also pushed whoever was there down to the bottom 6, and then their bottom 6 became stronger as a result. DeBrusk Coyle were dominant.
Not everything is points, he had 3 secondary assists..never created much of anything on his own this entire series , he was not good all series, he is not the problem but is far from beyond criticism.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I made some comments about Archibald costing the team last night. Many others did. I still feel you CANNOT take that penalty selfishly at that time, and I still feel it was the catalyst for the game turning. As happens in hockey and some sports. But I duno. I think @bellagiobob nailed it, sporting teams are built out to forgive stuff like this.

But how do they repair. Whad does game 4 even look like that after this. Maybe the Oilers rally hard, again, and pull one out of the fire. Hard to say, but does it even matter. Thats the crux. Win last night and I thought they were back in the series. At 2-1 though I was really worried. at 3-1 nervous. At 4-1 with the Khaira goal it looked like finally, finally we got a puck break (first one in the series). but then it all collapsed. This club is going to not forget this. What that does to them ultimately is anybodies guess. Do they have much left?

Reactions: bellagiobob

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
That was a brutal collapse no doubt about it, but let's be honest we have been the better team all 3 games and the better team easily 9 of 11 periods.

Smith has been good but not great esp when compared to hellebuyck amd that is one of the biggest Differences in the series and why the jets have a strangle hold

Take a look at all the Jets goals, lucky bounces and rebounds. It's kind of sickening.

We are down but we are not out, we beat the jets 5 straight games this year we can do it again, albeit a long shot I'm still gonna have hope

Reactions: ZJuice

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Luck plays a huge part in the NHL playoffs and better teams than us have been bounced in the first round.

I don't think this should be a 3-0 series with how the games have been played but those are the breaks.

You still don’t get it,there is no such thing as luck.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I made some comments about Archibald costing the team last night. Many others did. I still feel you CANNOT take that penalty selfishly at that time, and I still feel it was the catalyst for the game turning. As happens in hockey and some sports. But I duno. I think @bellagiobob nailed it, sporting teams are built out to forgive stuff like this.

But how do they repair. Whad does game 4 even look like that after this. Maybe the Oilers rally hard, again, and pull one out of the fire. Hard to say, but does it even matter. Thats the crux. Win last night and I thought they were back in the series. At 2-1 though I was really worried. at 3-1 nervous. At 4-1 with the Khaira goal it looked like finally, finally we got a puck break (first one in the series). but then it all collapsed. This club is going to not forget this. What that does to them ultimately is anybodies guess. Do they have much left?
They choked, there is no other way to say it..they panic'd

Reactions: Drivesaitl

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
tippet was bad this series, up 4-1 he puts the team into a 1-3-1 and they sit back and get caved, why change what was clearly working? This playing to not lose is for losers.
This loss is on the coach I agree.
Up 4 1 we should have kept you it the same it was working.

As I have said numerous times this coach cannot leave well enough alone when something works. Has to switch shit up. Changes lines when they worked changes style game to game when things were working. Refuses to keep McDrai split even when it was working. I'm talking overall not this playoffs.

Find a line and stick with it for fs. There have been numerous combinations that worked.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep. I'd just mentioned the Khaira goal was the first lucky bounce we got, the first deflection goal we bought. everything else, every other goal we earned with blood. The Jets got something like 4 deflection goals in this series. They got perfect bounce to Wheeler. they got Ehlers picking bar downs for fun like he's Ovechkin (and he's not)

We got the best player in hockey that can't buy a goal. We saw Connor McDavid snakebit. Who would think?

Conversely we had Stastny, even by his own account (and statistical proof) that he shot from an area that he rarely shoots from. That he has hardly ever scored from. and he decided to take that shot anyway, and two Oilers D magically at that moment screened, and the puck went in. Somethign like 1% of Stastny shots are from that far out. Smith, stopping everything else in the game, didn't see it.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
I was too depressed to watch any post game interviews. Anyone care to summarize any comments or the mood of the team after that collapse and loss?

space321

May 11, 2011
What do you think my point is? Winning key face offs are important. Especially when it is in OT in your own end! Losing that face off led directly to our defeat in OT...period!

You need to learn more about rare-event statistics dude

Losing faceoff directly leading to goal against happens like a couple times per season, it's not on high on the list of priorities that this team needs to fix right now.

Reactions: iCanada

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
It does't excuse the Archibald hit but rookie defenseman Logan Stanley is sure getting away with a lot of hacks, slashes and roughing this series. You'd think he was Shea Weber or something.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
tippet was bad this series, up 4-1 he puts the team into a 1-3-1 and they sit back and get caved, why change what was clearly working? This playing to not lose is for losers.

Seen it all year and how many times did they almost blow a lead doing it? Several. No killer instinct with this loser coach. Instead of playing like you're up 4-1, play like you're down and bury them. Run the score up, create a massive seed of doubt in the opposition's minds. f*** I can't stand Tippett, just another moron coach like McLellan.

Sheahan with the stupid puck off the skate allowing Chicago to tie it and win it last year.

Archibald with the stupid penalty this year.

Ugh.

The Curse of the Bambino and Curse of the billy goat have both descended upon the Oilers.

I agree. Koskinen more than anyone was the letdown. But still, Smith was a fluke the regular season. No one should have expected him to be any where close to good enough in the playoffs.

But he has been good enough. You're not winning any hockey games scoring one goal through 60+ minutes of playoff hockey. Smith isn't even on the list of blame right now. Without him, the Oilers would still be 0-3 but the goal differential would be close to -20.

lolz. Tippett said he didn't call a timeout after the 4-3 goal because he wanted to wait 1 more shift to get the TV timeout.

o_O

The good thing is he's only got one year left on his deal. No way in hell would I let him run his contract through after these last two playoff performances. Several great coaches (at minimum better than Tippett anyways) available right now too.

Reactions: Cloned

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Lol Jesus you guys. Next stop bandwagon station.

Winnipeg went total shut down the first two games and relied on their Vezina winning goalie to win those games. In two games they only scored 3 goals. That barely wins you a game in two games.

Now does this loss suck? Frick yes. It was a big game that they lost composure when it mattered. They dominated and made that Vezina goalie look average only to get rattled and lose it. But the Oilers ARE THE BETTER TEAM but they must be the better team. I still have faith.

No matter how bad it gets, there will always be someone telling hf to stop being negative. Unreal.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
You need to learn more about rare-event statistics dude

Losing faceoff directly leading to goal against happens like a couple times per season, it's not on high on the list of priorities that this team needs to fix right now.

1. You need to realize that winning 4 out of 24 D Zone face offs is not a winning recipe.
2. The reason why we lost OT was because we lost the face off...period
3. Working on face offs is an individual skill and not a team skill and in no way takes away from anything the team needs to work on.
4. Playoff hockey is often not about who plays the best but who makes the least mistakes. If you think that giving the opponents the puck 75% of the time they face off in our zone is not a big deal then thank god you are only an armchair coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad