Post-Game Talk: Josh Archibald has eliminated the Oilers from playoff contention

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I usually don't agree with Steve's Oilers takes but this is as dead on you can be.

Absolutely dumb and short-sighted tweet. Thank God Holland didn't sell the farm this year, when we are nowhere near close, and still in cap hell. If anyone thought he would navigate out of Chiarelli's disaster in 2 years and produce a solid contender, I have some land for you. I want an eventual sustainable contender, not some team that sneaks out of the first round by giving away all of it's assets and then furthering cap hell and overpaying multiple players. We're getting a lot closer, despite what has been shown in this series.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Absolutely dumb and short-sighted tweet. Thank God Holland didn't sell the farm this year, when we are nowhere near close, and still in cap hell. If anyone thought he would navigate out of Chiarelli's disaster in 2 years and produce a solid contender, I have some land for you. I want an eventual sustainable contender, not some team that sneaks out of the first round by giving away all of it's assets and then furthering cap hell and overpaying multiple players. We're getting a lot closer, despite what has been shown in this series.

Ya that Dangle guy is clueless. I've listen to parts of his podcasts. He sounds like your typical dude that has never played hockey and knows nothing about the intricacies of hockey. He's basically an HF poster that has his own show.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Winning a championship isn't a 'bet'.

Holland came in here selling the fanbase on building a sustainable franchise capable of making the playoffs year in, year out. 'Betting' on one season assuming the team is only one player removed from being a championship calibre roster would be ridiculously short-sighted.

Let's not pretend like this is part of a plan.

He just couldn't do anything this season because he blew his load last year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
more short-sighted than already having wasted 5 years of McDrai doing nothing?
Equally. Yes.

Teams that win championships get built through successful drafts and stay sustainable through consistently productive development in the cap world. They're four lines deep and have the ability to overcome numerous obstacles.

We had one NHL regular on an ELC this season. The majority of our roster beyond its top four producers were underachieving offensively. They have an embarrassing record when two players are kept off of the scoresheet. They weren't a playoff rental away from anything.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Winning a championship isn't a 'bet'.

Holland came in here selling the fanbase on building a sustainable franchise capable of making the playoffs year in, year out. 'Betting' on one season assuming the team is only one player removed from being a championship calibre roster would be ridiculously short-sighted.
This won't be a popular opinion but if he wasn't going to try and push the team forward at the TDL this year then he should've sold off the UFAs we have.

The chances of the Oilers have sustained success are pretty low. We're two years into his tenure and we've won a single playoff game. But oh man next year is going to be great.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Hopefully that's Archibald's last game as an Oiler.

One of those guys who is loved because he tries hard, but he accomplishes absolutely nothing 99% of the time.

Hitting people with your 150lb frame a second after the puck is moved a few times a game isn't an NHL skillset.

But he's under contract for next year as well. Do you bury him in the minors? I don't think that anybody else is going to pick him up.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This won't be a popular opinion but if he wasn't going to try and push the team forward at the TDL this year then he should've sold off the UFAs we have.

The chances of the Oilers have sustained success are pretty low. We're two years into his tenure and we've won a single playoff game. But oh man next year is going to be great.
My opinion seems to be even less popular, but it's the exact opposite. This was a good team. They need to make better use of the available space being opened up this summer to improve their depth. Their UFAs were highly impactful players and should be re-signed because they're the best available options at their respective positions.

Selling off the UFAs would've conveyed the wrong message to the players who did carry this roster for the entire season.

In terms of playoff results, the team has lost three consecutive one-goal games. They're not being outplayed by their opponents in any way. How far off do you honestly believe them to be?

Reactions: TB12

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Equally. Yes.

Teams that win championships get built through successful drafts and stay sustainable through consistently productive development in the cap world. They're four lines deep and have the ability to overcome numerous obstacles.

We had one NHL regular on an ELC this season. The majority of our roster beyond its top four producers were underachieving offensively. They have an embarrassing record when two players are kept off of the scoresheet. They weren't a playoff rental away from anything.
we aren't winning through drafts either.
we still don't know what the f*** we have in bouchard who was drafted in 2017 and is now an elite press box sitter, broberg is equally as lost, holloway is 2-3 years away from impact, our 2016 pick in puljujarvi is just barely come to fruition and yams has been our worst top 6 regular this year which STILL no one wants to talk about, then there is bear and jones where one will most likely gone to seattle and other getting a free spot in our god awful top 6.

I'm sure Connor and Leon are going to endure more of this crap for another year to two lmao

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
My opinion seems to be even less popular, but it's the exact opposite. This was a good team. They need to make better use of the available space being opened up this summer to improve their depth. Their UFAs were highly impactful players and should be re-signed because they're the best available options at their respective positions.

Selling off the UFAs would've conveyed the wrong message to the players who did carry this roster for the entire season.

In terms of playoff results, the team has lost three consecutive one-goal games. They're not being outplayed by their opponents in any way. How far off do you honestly believe them to be?
This was a good team, you're right. It could've been better. But standing pat at the TDL was the wrong move.

As far as how far off they were... Well even if the games have been close, they still found ways to lose. Think about next year when we're up against a powerhouse in Vegas.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
We aren't Colorado or Tampa. We don't have the means to build through the draft.

We need to be like Penguins who have been financing their future for the past decade into UFA's and trading futures and won 3 cups in the process. Hell even Leafs signed a marquee UFA in Tavares and traded away futures.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think you'd be a big fan of Josh Archibald if you actually watched him play.

I'm watched too much of him at this point.

He is terrible defensively. Pretty close to the top of the team in goals against rates in both seasons he's been here.

And he's allergic to zone time. He's a one shot from the wing and done type of player. One of the worst possession players in the entire league.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We aren't Colorado or Tampa. We don't have the means to build through the draft.

We need to be like Penguins who have been financing their future for the past decade into UFA's and trading futures and won 3 cups in the process. Hell even Leafs signed a marquee UFA in Tavares and traded away futures.
Our drafting is also still questionable at best.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Our drafting is also still questionable at best.
We have to be more proactive at trying to win now.

There is nothing short-sighted about trying to win now. We have two of the best hockey players in the world and our team is a complete joke and no one in the league takes us seriously. Doesn't that make you angry?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ya that Dangle guy is clueless. I've listen to parts of his podcasts. He sounds like your typical dude that has never played hockey and knows nothing about the intricacies of hockey. He's basically an HF poster that has his own show.
He pretty much got a show by being an insane leafs homer and just yelling at a camera and of course all those sheep follow along because he parades around feeding them bullshit.

Reactions: HK97

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why oh why did Draisaitl whiff on that puck in the crease during the PK? He almost never does stuff like that? Why oh why did McDavid throw the puck around carelessly resulting in the 3rd goal? Why oh why did Tippett continue to play Bear in the top pairing and have him exposed time and again? Why oh why did Pulju do a careless flyby on the tying goal, when he's been so dependable defensively this year? Why oh why did Khaira lose a faceoff in OT which resulted in a goal, when he's never done that before? Should I go on? Lot's of reasons why we lost the game.

You're conflating an intentional and deliberate action, made selfishly, with errors and mistakes. These are of course not the same.

I agree Bear should not be playing. Don't see what Tippett see in him. Ridiculous to put him in top pairing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We have to be more proactive at trying to win now.

There is nothing short-sighted about trying to win now. We have two of the best hockey players in the world and our team is a complete joke and no one in the league takes us seriously. Doesn't that make you angry?
I'd much rather go for it now than any of this "Sustained winning" stuff. That to me says "Perennial first round exit".

I'd be far more interested in playing the long game if we could draft worth a damn. Have Yamamoto and McLeod put up any points in this series?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I'd much rather go for it now than any of this "Sustained winning" stuff. That to me says "Perennial first round exit".

I'd be far more interested in playing the long game if we could draft worth a damn. Have Yamamoto and McLeod put up any points in this series?
Yams might have a secondary assist on a PP goal but thats it

he's been horrible all season and started on the 4th line last game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad