Post-Game Talk: Josh Archibald has eliminated the Oilers from playoff contention

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hopefully that's Archibald's last game as an Oiler.

One of those guys who is loved because he tries hard, but he accomplishes absolutely nothing 99% of the time.

Hitting people with your 150lb frame a second after the puck is moved a few times a game isn't an NHL skillset.

Reactions: EagerPug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, it wasn't good, but how many dirty play suspensions does Archibald have in his career? People on here are making out like he does this on a yearly basis, and that he just shot their dog. Fact it, the guy plays hard and with a chip on his shoulder, and is mostly an honest guy for the style he plays. Hits like a truck, and is an excellent PKer, never afraid to go to the dirty areas, and is an above average skater. Prior to this one "egregious non-forgiveable" transgression, I think most on here never really had a problem with the player. Jeezus, now, he's public enemy #1, when the real enemies are out there wearing Jets colours, at least as long as we play them. Typical HFB's logic.

Disclosure that I like the player, always have. but he CANNOT lose his mind with the team winning a game they must have, and being the catalyst for the Jets return. Its immaterial how often he does this except in terms of NHL review and how much one gets for suspension. Theres dirty plays, and this was plenty dirty. but plenty stupid at that point in the game. I agree hes' a player with an edge, and more often controls it. I'm just like why yesterday. If he did this in regular season game I hardly even care. It wasn't that, it was the most important game the team played in years.

Reactions: CravenMH

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

One of those guys who is loved because he tries hard, but he accomplishes absolutely nothing 99% of the time.

Hitting people with your 150lb frame a second after the puck is moved isn't an NHL skillset.
I don't. He's been a perfect fourth line option for the team. He's exactly what I want. Fast, physical and plays an aggressive forecheck.

It was a stupid, selfish penalty. But this team has a horrendous track record of finding effective checkers. He's a good one

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Yes, it wasn't good, but how many dirty play suspensions does Archibald have in his career? People on here are making out like he does this on a yearly basis, and that he just shot their dog. Fact it, the guy plays hard and with a chip on his shoulder, and is mostly an honest guy for the style he plays. Hits like a truck, and is an excellent PKer, never afraid to go to the dirty areas, and is an above average skater. Prior to this one "egregious non-forgiveable" transgression, I think most on here never really had a problem with the player. Jeezus, now, he's public enemy #1, when the real enemies are out there wearing Jets colours, at least as long as we play them. Typical HFB's logic.

Horrendously selfish and stupid play by Archie who definitely takes a fair share of the blame for the loss but it's way more concerning this team folded after adversity like that. Shows this team is just not ready and like I suspected before the series that its weak mental fortitude is one of the team's bigger weaknesses. And you go nowhere in the playoffs with such weak mental strength.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What a terrible thread name. Archi made a bad play but certainly didn't lose us the game. The meltdown that ensued after is the fault of the group on the ice as well as on a coach that doesn't know when to call a f***ing timeout.

These 3 loses have been frustrating because we're outplaying them yet still losing. A few bounces in our favour and the series could easily be 2-1 if not 3-0 for us.

I'm not sure how management gets dragged into this conversation either. We were never labeled a contender this year and our GM agreed based on the deadline acquisitions. Anyone with a brain knows Holland's hands are tied with the garbage contracts and team chia left him. He is the last one to blame.

If I'm blaming anyone it's the players and the coaches at this point, although advanced stats tell an anomaly of outplaying a team in 3 straight games while still losing all 3. The effort was certainly there this game and we drove play. Even as a coach, you have to look at game 3 and like what you saw outside of the meltdown in the 3rd.

It's frustrating as hell being a fan through this, but gtfo if you're just going to cry about the makeup of the team. Everyone knew what we had going into this season and the expectations going into the playoffs, and we're not out yet.

In the history of going down 3-0, we are probably one of the few teams I'd put money on coming back because we've outplayed them every game. It's not like Tampa outplayed but just couldn't capitalize in the Tampa-Columbus series, Columbus outplayed them almost each game and that sweep was way more disappointing because they were cup favourites that year.
Couldn't agree more, and as to the bolded, if you've seen other post-game title names, it's pretty much par for the course in terms of the level of frenzied logic.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Horrendously selfish and stupid play by Archie who definitely takes a fair share of the blame for the loss but it's way more concerning this team folded after adversity like that. Shows this team is just not ready and like I suspected before the series that its weak mental fortitude is one of the team's bigger weaknesses. And you go nowhere in the playoffs with such weak mental strength.

Absof***inglutely.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't. He's been a perfect fourth line option for the team. He's exactly what I want. Fast, physical and plays an aggressive forecheck.

It was a stupid, selfish penalty. But this team has a horrendous track record of finding effective checkers. He's a good one

He bleeds chances and goals against and can't sustain zone pressure.

And he isn't even an effective forechecker. He hits guys after they've already successfully moved the puck.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Funny thing about the 'weak mental fortitude' comment is that everyone's favorite punching bag, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, generated four shots and two of particularly high quality after the team blew its three goal lead.

For a guy with no guts, backbone or any will to win, he was the guy who actually came close to winning the game for them.

Those superstars we have can win us a lot of games, but they clearly possess the ability to lose them for us as well.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

And he isn't even an effective forechecker. He hits guys after they've already successfully moved the puck.
He's a fourth liner in Edmonton. Of course he bleeds chances against.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Funny thing about the 'weak mental fortitude' comment is that everyone's favorite punching bag, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, generated four shots and two of particularly high quality after the team blew its three goal lead.

For a guy with no guts, backbone or any will to win, he was the guy who actually came close to winning the game for them.

Those superstars we have can win us a lot of games, but they clearly possess the ability to lose them for us as well.

Well, I'm not ragging on Nuge specifically. Just the team in general. It was clear mental weakness and loss of composure when your best player and captain makes a rookie like turnover with zero poise on a relatively simple play behind his net.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's a fourth liner in Edmonton. Of course he bleeds chances against.

The fourth line sucks because of players like him. He was one of the worst 5v5 forwards in the league before coming to Edmonton and that hasn't changed.

That penalty is a microcosm of his play. The puck bounced almost directly onto his stick, but he's already got his eyes closed looking for a late hit instead of actually making a play on the puck.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Disclosure that I like the player, always have. but he CANNOT lose his mind with the team winning a game they must have, and being the catalyst for the Jets return. Its immaterial how often he does this except in terms of NHL review and how much one gets for suspension. Theres dirty plays, and this was plenty dirty. but plenty stupid at that point in the game. I agree hes' a player with an edge, and more often controls it. I'm just like why yesterday. If he did this in regular season game I hardly even care. It wasn't that, it was the most important game the team played in years.
Why oh why did Draisaitl whiff on that puck in the crease during the PK? He almost never does stuff like that? Why oh why did McDavid throw the puck around carelessly resulting in the 3rd goal? Why oh why did Tippett continue to play Bear in the top pairing and have him exposed time and again? Why oh why did Pulju do a careless flyby on the tying goal, when he's been so dependable defensively this year? Why oh why did Khaira lose a faceoff in OT which resulted in a goal, when he's never done that before? Should I go on? Lot's of reasons why we lost the game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
P

Pretty sure most guys get hit AFTER they've dished the puck.

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019

Hitting people with your 150lb frame a second after the puck is moved a few times a game isn't an NHL skillset.
Archi is exactly the kind of player you need in the playoffs and he was one of maybe 3 oilers to show up during the first two games.

I'm sure you are in the minority here especially when people put aside their recency bias.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Who would have thought that Archibald would go full Kassian. He was probably getting cocky because we were up by 3 goals with 8 minutes left and thought he’d take a run at Stanley. Once he did that and started chirping on his way to the box I knew this series was over. Cheap plays like that wake up a team and they used that for motivation to come back.

If it was a penalty like a hook, hold or delay of game, even if Winnipeg scored on the PP we would be going into game 4 down 2-1.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Archi is exactly the kind of player you need in the playoffs and he was one of maybe 3 oilers to show up during the first two games.

I'm sure you are in the minority here especially when people put aside their recency bias.

He's pretty much the exact opposite type of player that I'd want in the playoffs.

Give me a bottom six player who actually plays quality defense and that can establish a cycle to grind out some zone time.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I been ranting till 1am on here last night and all throughout my sleep so I don't have much to say that hasn't been said anymore but Edmonton media are absolute cowards when questioning coaches and management. Are their jobs tied to them or something

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
First off, I dont blame Holland for this colossal failure. It's not his fault the team cant hold onto a 3 goal lead with 9 minutes left. It was clear that this wasnt the year to go all in and the team still has a long way to go before being a contender. Having said that, with the lineup we have, we should be able to beat the jets.

Honestly, it's very frustrating and confusing because the Oilers just had one of their best seasons with the two highest scoring forwards and highest scoring defenceman in the league. We dominated the jets during the regular season and jets limped into the post season.

Even though tippett did well during the regular season, I think his lack of emotion and inability to adapt in game are killer. I doubt hes willing to be an associate coach but failing to make it past the 1st round in back to back years doesnt look good.

Holland needs to make some big changes up front for next year.

How nice would the Oilers have looked if we had a 3rd line of Copp-Lowry-Appleton? It would be nice to thrown them over the boards and not have to worry about getting caved in.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I usually don't agree with Steve's Oilers takes but this is as dead on you can be.

Winning a championship isn't a 'bet'.

Holland came in here selling the fanbase on building a sustainable franchise capable of making the playoffs year in, year out. 'Betting' on one season assuming the team is only one player removed from being a championship calibre roster would be ridiculously short-sighted.

Reactions: TB12 and Stoneman89

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Winning a championship isn't a 'bet'.

Holland came in here selling the fanbase on building a sustainable franchise capable of making the playoffs year in, year out. 'Betting' on one season assuming the team is only one player removed from being a championship calibre roster would be ridiculously short-sighted.
more short-sighted than already having wasted 5 years of McDrai doing nothing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad