Player Discussion Josh Anderson - The Rene Bourque Edition

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Good reminder that a prospect is not a finished product at the draft...
They aren't but only if they have the makeup of a person willing to put in the work. Point has always been a bulldog in that regard going back to Moose Jaw. You need to find out how the player ticks and if they're willing to do what needs to be done to reach his next level. Similar to what Slaf is currently doing.

Reactions: Miller Time

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Can't believe some people wanted to keep him with the Habs last season. His value is completely gone this year. He has been a black hole for every forward this year. Armia is only 2 points behind him with less game played in the NHL.....

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Players have write off seasons.. unfortunate but it happens.

I fully expect Anderson to return to usual 22-25G pace next season.

Reactions: GrandBison

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Players have write off seasons.. unfortunate but it happens.

I fully expect Anderson to return to usual 22-25G pace next season.
JA has two 20 goals season in career. His career average is exactly 20 goals every 82 games. If you need on average 82 games to score 20 goals with the TOI of a 2nd line player i'd say you are not a 20 goals scorer. Honestly people need to wake up and forget his 27 goals and 47 points season.

JA is a 3rd line player who had 2nd line TOI for most of his career despite having 3rd line production (on average 35 points every 82 games). If you would ice him on a 3rd line where he should be he really is a 15 goals and 30 points guy max. It's the same conundrum as DD. Increasing the TOI of a player also increase the amount of points he does. But if he's not good enough to play that role you are just artificially increasing his production.

JA should be playing on a 3rd line and as a 3rd line player he wont score 20 goals. It simply wont happen. He needs 82 games and 16 minutes of TOI on average to score 20. Not gonna happen on a 3rd line. Slaf is already a much better player than JA ever was.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I don't care if Josh Anderson is a 20 goal scorer ever again, all I want is him to give an honest effort on the ice. An engaged Josh Anderson is a effective player that brings benefit to this team. This season's Anderson is completely void of any use.

He's the one player that pisses me off the most on this team, all it would take to rectify that is effort. He's completely checked out and it's infuriating. I think I'm most upset because I'm a fan of his.

He should be relishing his role as a veteran on this young team, I dunno what the hell his issue is, but he needs to wake the f*** up.

Enough is enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pomee and LaP

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I don't care if Josh Anderson is a 20 goal scorer ever again, all I want is him to give an honest effort on the ice. An engaged Josh Anderson is a effective player that brings benefit to this team. This season's Anderson is completely void of any use.

He's the one player that pisses me off the most on this team, all it would take to rectify that is effort. He's completely checked out and it's infuriating. I think I'm most upset because I'm a fan of his.

He should be relishing his role as a veteran on this young team, I dunno what the hell his issue is, but he needs to wake the f*** up.

Enough is enough.

You're right , he could be very usefull if he get back to what made him succesfull in the past, the guy is looking lost out there dont know why.

Some players flourished under MSL but it seems like the opposite for Josh

Reactions: HabbyGuy

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Its weird because the way he talks about having the opportunity to play for the habs you'd think he would give a little more effort , is it effort or is he just slow this year , nagging injuries? He seems to be a step behind and I'm not convinced its something mental with Josh. I mean the goalscoring is obviously mental with him but the lack of effort and forecheck? Surely he's not mailing it in out there is he?

Like others have said he's useful when he's fast and heavy even if he never scores again but he's neither fast or heavy right now, by his own standards at least , he's been awful all around

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Pomee

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Anderson is the most problematic contract we have right now I think.

I don't mind Gallagher as much right now because at least he brings some leadership and can be somewhat effective in limited minutes. With Anderson, he's just not doing much of anything any time he's on the ice. Plays constantly fall apart on his stick.

I'd like to see us find a way to move on from Anderson soon, because I don't think our younger players are going to be able to thrive or find confidence when playing on a line with him. His cap hit isn't hurting us yet - but we don't want to be dealing with it in a couple years.

Reactions: CapSpace and Pomee

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Yeah Andy has now become my least favorite. Evans can play hockey at least and Gallagher makes the forum funny sometimes. Expensive 4th line I would not throw out to protect a lead. I’m sad Dvorak is coming back too. I guess the deadwood still shed the worst with Dadonov, Drouin, Hoffman… But these guys are overlapping too many of Suzuki’s good years as of next fall.

Reactions: Pomee

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well for the first part of the year he wasn't scoring but he was very engaged and trying. Most people were still good with him because the effort was there, but the luck wasn't.

Effort is gone now.

I think we wait until next year and hope he starts the season well, then try flipping him for whatever we can.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Angry Max Lap

*2 weeks later*

8kd7ym.jpg

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When can a team fire a player? Anderson just isnt playing right now. Hes not even going through the motion, he literally loudly quitting.

What really stops a player from going "I dont want to play anymore but I want to keep collecting the pay check". Because thats what Andys doing.

Reactions: Pomee

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You're right , he could be very usefull if he get back to what made him succesfull in the past, the guy is looking lost out there dont know why.

Some players flourished under MSL but it seems like the opposite for Josh
Anderson is a simple North-South player that’s being asked to play East-West…which he’s miscast to perform at

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
When can a team fire a player? Anderson just isnt playing right now. Hes not even going through the motion, he literally loudly quitting.

What really stops a player from going "I dont want to play anymore but I want to keep collecting the pay check". Because thats what Andys doing.
There is unfortunately no clause to fire a player for not performing. But coaches can sit their asses in the stands and reduce their TOI. At which point the player's agent usually complains, loudly, how unfair that is that their vet isn't playing more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad