Player Discussion Josh Anderson - The Rene Bourque Edition

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think this should be one of our priorities to trade him away this summer. I understand we do not need to for salary cap purpose and his value is at the bottom, but with his current attitude he is toxic for our "culture". Young guys work hard and hate losing, but they get very low support from vets. Armia is looking very good, Evans has his role, but rest of forward vets are just garbage. Gally is at least trying and he can stay in 4th line.
I think there are teams that could take Anderson for free (WAS, CBJ, STL, NSH, CHI, ARI, SEA, SJS, CGY, ANA), they all have some cap space to absorb his contract and hope he bounces back. Remember, we were able to trade away Hoffman last summer.
It honestly started as soon as Bergevin traded for him. When he said it’s either one year to get to UFA, or the full 7 years, we should have seen the warning signs. I don’t see him taking too kindly to an AHL demotion to wake him up like it did Armia. He’s setting a bad example for everyone else. That big with no intimidation factor is pathetic.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Since 2019-20 JA is a combined -71. It would be fine if he scored 35-30 a year, the team could live with his deficiencies defensively but he isn't that. He has averaged 18-20 a season but even that total is cut in half this season. He may bounce back next year but what will he change about his game to do so? MSL tried him on the top line multiple times and he didn't produce, he isn't hitting the way he did in the past either. He will turn 30 in a couple of weeks so what solution if any is available for Hughes to deal with this player?

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Since 2019-20 JA is a combined -71. It would be fine if he scored 35-30 a year, the team could live with his deficiencies defensively but he isn't that. He has averaged 18-20 a season but even that total is cut in half this season. He may bounce back next year but what will he change about his game to do so? MSL tried him on the top line multiple times and he didn't produce, he isn't hitting the way he did in the past either. He will turn 30 in a couple of weeks so what solution if any is available for Hughes to deal with this player?
Has to be stuck with him. No right wingers in the org to take his and Gallagher’s spot either. People will be paying to watch these 2 play hockey for another 3 years it seems.

It’s getting hard to tune out for me when they are on the ice, I’ve been falling asleep…

Reactions: OldCraig71

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Anderson is the biggest lump of crap on the team. Other players might not do much but at least they are out there playing hard and trying, they just aren't very good.

Josh Anderson on the other hand, does absolutely nothing

Reactions: Apoplectic Habs Fan

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
There might be some GMs who think they can fix him and/or fit him on their team, but his value is negative right now. So Hughes will have to wake up that the boat has sailed there and that he made a big mistake with keep Anderson around and accept the premium to move him elsewhere.

Anderson is at a point where moving him at a cost is worth more than whatever you think he brings to the team.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
Hopefully at the end of the season he can come out and explain the upper body injury he has been carrying the whole season. His lack of courage and heart were will need some mending.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Hopefully at the end of the season he can come out and explain the upper body injury he has been carrying the whole season. His lack of courage and heart were will need some mending.
Maybe he can get his yearly “hey you did a thing” ovation from the gf and his cats or whatever his life setup is. I wonder how useful he is around the house.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I thought Gallagher was our only problem going forward but Anderson is absolutely just as bad.

I thought Hughes would be able to go trough all this without buying out a single player but he might not have the choice with Anderson.

Bergevin really did a gros caca before leaving.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I thought Gallagher was our only problem going forward but Anderson is absolutely just as bad.

I thought Hughes would be able to go trough all this without buying out a single player but he might not have the choice with Anderson.

At least Gallagher tries and can be a decent passenger on an okay line. Anderson doesn’t like hockey

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Gallagher works his ass off, his body is well past the "best before date".

Anderson isn't even pretending to try anymore...

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
8lzqip.jpg

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

If he really could have traded Anderson without retaining last year... it's his biggest error to date.

It's not really all that shocking. He's a terrible hockey player and always has been.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I know most GM's do not like buying out players but Hughes is not the one who signed Anderson or traded for him.
There comes a point where this has to be considered.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I know most GM's do not like buying out players but Hughes is not the one who signed Anderson or traded for him.
The time to consider it is when you need the capspace. We are heading into next season with over 15m in cap space and only Xhekaj and Barron to sign. So unless he's a problem in the locker room you might as well wait another year since the fewer years remaining when you do finally pull the trigger the better.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The time to consider it is when you need the capspace. We are heading into next season with over 15m in cap space and only Xhekaj and Barron to sign. So unless he's a problem in the locker room you might as well wait another year since the fewer years remaining when you do finally pull the trigger the better.
That actually makes sense. Thanks for that angle

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I think they'll want to see if this season is an outlier or will now become a trend. I also don't think Hughes wants to carry dead cap for multiple seasons. If they buy him out this summer, he will be on the cap until 2029-30.

I understand with the cap going up over the next few seasons, it might not be as heavy on the cap, but he will count for a little under $2M from 2027-28 to 2029-30.

I still don't see Hughes doing that.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
There might be some GMs who think they can fix him and/or fit him on their team, but his value is negative right now. So Hughes will have to wake up that the boat has sailed there and that he made a big mistake with keep Anderson around and accept the premium to move him elsewhere.

Anderson is at a point where moving him at a cost is worth more than whatever you think he brings to the team.

Depends on what the team is seeking next year. I concur that if they wish to challenge for the playoffs, as part of growth, then you have to consider dumping Anderson this offseason. His contract is an issue, yet the greater problem is he's a net negative on the ice regardless of his $ amount.

Even if he regains form, his inconsistency and general defensive.....shortcomings were still features in his player profile before this season. You don't want this guy stunting the development of young players who could challenge for ice time.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Hold up.
Hold up.
Hold up.

I am a leaf fan weighing in on this discussion.

OK say what you want, but isn't he a Leaf killer? Doesn't that hold any weight in this discussion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad