Player Discussion Josh Anderson - The Rene Bourque Edition

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I think it’s a mix of things, but if there’s one player that hasn’t benefited from MSLs (and I say this with being mostly happy with Marty) way of “playing the game that’s in front of you”, it’s Andy.

If he ever was a powerhorse to begin with, he now looks like a guy with an identity crisis. He always knew only one thing and it was skate hard, drive the net. Now he’s being asked to try and pick the best option, think about passing, don’t take bad penalties (no more big hits on the forecheck)… That guy has no hands, no vision — he’s not cut out for complicated schemes and open plays. He’ll always do better in a tight system, north-south and always the same thing kind of line.

It’d be best for both parties to move on honestly. He’ll be better elsewhere and maybe we can still get a decent return before he’s too old and hasn’t performed for too long.

Good luck trading him. He is value is very low right now. It will be very hard to trade him with out taking a bad contract.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Good luck trading him. He is value is very low right now. It will be very hard to trade him with out taking a bad contract.
I'd like to trade him with 50% retained as part of a deal where the bad contract we take back is Barclay Goodrow's (he can fight and lessen the burden on Xhekaj) and where we get kakko.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nonsense? Only people say that are people not wanting to see the truth! For everybody can see Hughes made a mess of Allen situation. Anybody in right mind can see it's a terrible contract, made him unmovable. Which Messed up development of Primeau. Now he's working on messing with Wifi development.

Anderson trade was reported by Lebrun. Waited way too long to trade him. It's
Inarguable. Age has took him down. Habs stuck with that contract for 3 more years.

In last 11 months, Hughes has pissed away a franchise center, passed on 2 extra first round picks. By hanging onto Allen and Anderson. Along with carrying 9.5 million of bad cap money this season and going forward.
Keep posting nonsense. No one knows what was offered if anything for Anderson and Allen. And there is NO point using a retention spot for YEARS unless the other team makes it worthwhile.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Nonsense? Only people say that are people not wanting to see the truth! For everybody can see Hughes made a mess of Allen situation. Anybody in right mind can see it's a terrible contract, made him unmovable. Which Messed up development of Primeau. Now he's working on messing with Wifi development.

Inarguable. Age has took him down. Habs stuck with that contract for 3 more years.

In last 11 months, Hughes has pissed away a franchise center, passed on 2 extra first round picks. By hanging onto Allen and Anderson. Along with carrying 9.5 million of bad cap money this season and going forward.
2y contrat at maybe 1m$ overpriced for Allen isn’t terrible like you say. Huberdeau or Gallagher’s contract are terrible.

You might be right about the 1st for Anderson. But we have no proof if that offer ever existed.

Allen was never worth a 1st, even if he was on a ELC. You’re delusional .

eurodin

Nov 1, 2017
Please explain, how are Anderson and Byron anything alike?
They both had tremendous speed/acceleration. They both peaked at 26-28 years old and have falling off sharply. They will have zero to little value in their later years.

2 x 1st round picks? You actually believe Allen would return a 1st? What's next, Dvorak will return a 1st. Bergevin left this organization with garbage vets for the most part. It's fantasy to think all these guys are returning 1sts.
Agreed and he should have never given up a 1st for Dvorak.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Keep posting nonsense. No one knows what was offered if anything for Anderson and Allen. And there is NO point using a retention spot for YEARS unless the other team makes it worthwhile.

I'm ready to use a retention spot for the next 3 years - if the deal is a good one.

For example:

To NYR: Anderson (50% retained) + ?
To MTL: Kakko + Barclay Goodrow

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anderson has to go what a waste of talent.
I don't think he has much natural talent and hockey IQ. Everything he got was from hard work (his skating and shot).

Last year he had his best moments in the NHL after RHP was called up and they played together. Why MSL hasn't gone back to that duo leaves me baffled and annoyed really. I love ya, but wake the f*** up on this one MSL!

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't think he has much natural talent and hockey IQ. Everything he got was from hard work (his skating and shot).

Last year he had his best moments in the NHL after RHP was called up and they played together. Why MSL hasn't gone back to that duo leaves me baffled and annoyed really. I love ya, but wake the f*** up on this one MSL!
RHP's been hurt 3/4 of the season. Anderson was also in a prime spot to start season. Should have helped him in theory.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
RHP's been hurt 3/4 of the season. Anderson was also in a prime spot to start season. Should have helped him in theory.
RHP has played 24 games. That's almost half the season.

Anderson has never been a fit with Nick and Cole. I agree that Anderson has been a disappointment. But why not put him with RHP on a 3rd line instead of putting him in the top 6 where he doesn't fit?????

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Bergevin has left some serious piles of dung behind
He did, but Hughes supposedly had offers with legitimate returns for him and decided to keep him. He hasn't made many mistakes yet, but this is one.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Keep posting nonsense. No one knows what was offered if anything for Anderson and Allen. And there is NO point using a retention spot for YEARS unless the other team makes it worthwhile'

You're wasting your time with him.

This same poster criticized Hughes for trading Monahan and not getting *more* than 1st round pick.

So he's criticizing Hughes for not trading Jake Allen and Josh Anderson because he believes each would fetch a first round draft pick and he's criticizing Hughes for trading Sean Monahan and getting a first round draft pick because he believes he's worth more.

This should make it perfectly clear that, at best, he's a little confused about player values and at worst he's a pretty obvious agenda here because these criticisms aren't tethered to reality.

I'm ready to use a retention spot for the next 3 years - if the deal is a good one.

For example:

To NYR: Anderson (50% retained) + ?
To MTL: Kakko + Barclay Goodrow

No thank you.

You think it would be a "good" deal if the Canadiens shipped Josh Anderson to the Rangers, where he would make $2.75 million the next three years and the Canadiens would get Barclay Goodrow, who makes $3.6 million til 2027 and Kappo Kakko, who the Canadiens would have to qualify at over $2 million just to have the right to resign him, and, on top of it, you want the Canadiens to take on $2.75 million in dead cap over the next three years?

How on earth is that good? On top of paying the bloated salary of Goodrow - who does nothing to help the team at all - they would have to pay Kakko, at minimum, nearly five million with his new contract plus the $2.75 in dead cap they took on just to acquire him.

So you've turned Anderson's $5.5 into nearly $9 million, and the big "prize" for doing this is getting Kakko?

Hell no.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You're wasting your time with him.

This same poster criticized Hughes for trading Monahan and not getting *more* than 1st round pick.

So he's criticizing Hughes for not trading Jake Allen and Josh Anderson because he believes each would fetch a first round draft pick and he's criticizing Hughes for trading Sean Monahan and getting a first round draft pick because he believes he's worth more.

This should make it perfectly clear that, at best, he's a little confused about player values and at worst he's a pretty obvious agenda here because these criticisms aren't tethered to reality.

No thank you.

You think it would be a "good" deal if the Canadiens shipped Josh Anderson to the Rangers, where he would make $2.75 million the next three years and the Canadiens would get Barclay Goodrow, who makes $3.6 million til 2027 and Kappo Kakko, who the Canadiens would have to qualify at over $2 million just to have the right to resign him, and, on top of it, you want the Canadiens to take on $2.75 million in dead cap over the next three years?

How on earth is that good? On top of paying the bloated salary of Goodrow - who does nothing to help the team at all - they would have to pay Kakko, at minimum, nearly five million with his new contract plus the $2.75 in dead cap they took on just to acquire him.

So you've turned Anderson's $5.5 into nearly $9 million, and the big "prize" for doing this is getting Kakko?

Hell no.
Anderson at 2.75M plus Goodrow at 3.6M makes 6.35M instead of Anderson's 5.5M, so 835K more. So what's the tradeoff? Goodrow can play on the 4th line and is good at fighting - and WILLIING to do so. He can take the burden off of Xhekaj. Meanwhile, Anderson takes up a spot in the top 9 from a young guy, hardly does anything and doesn't fight.

You get Kakko because you hope his cap hit will be worth it, or even a reclamation project like Dach and Newhook. That's why.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The comparison to Rene Bourque is incredibly spot on. Anderson was an exciting acquisition when it was made, he is now in the heap pile.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Anderson at 2.75M plus Goodrow at 3.6M makes 6.35M instead of Anderson's 5.5M, so 835K more. So what's the tradeoff? Goodrow can play on the 4th line and is good at fighting - and WILLIING to do so. He can take the burden off of Xhekaj. Meanwhile, Anderson takes up a spot in the top 9 from a young guy, hardly does anything and doesn't fight.

You get Kakko because you hope his cap hit will be worth it, or even a reclamation project like Dach and Newhook. That's why.

You seem to be willing to make a horrible transaction in order to deal with an imaginary problem. You think there's a "burden" on Xhekaj to fight? Who did the burden fall on when Arber was in the AHL? Who did it fall on against Dallas, with Arber in the press box?

There are only slightly more fights in the NHL than there are Michigan goals. You would have to be a very dim-witted GM - or a dinosaur - to be making trades based on acquiring "a fighter." Based on his tilt the other night with Mark Kastelic, I would say the quotes around "fighter" are quite fitting, too.

Regardless of his cap hit, I do not want Barclay Goodrow part of this lineup for the next few years. That would be insane.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You seem to be willing to make a horrible transaction in order to deal with an imaginary problem. You think there's a "burden" on Xhekaj to fight? Who did the burden fall on when Arber was in the AHL? Who did it fall on against Dallas, with Arber in the press box?

There are only slightly more fights in the NHL than there are Michigan goals. You would have to be a very dim-witted GM - or a dinosaur - to be making trades based on acquiring "a fighter." Based on his tilt the other night with Mark Kastelic, I would say the quotes around "fighter" are quite fitting, too.

Regardless of his cap hit, I do not want Barclay Goodrow part of this lineup for the next few years. That would be insane.
No, I want to get Kakko. And this is the price I'm willing to pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad