Confirmed with Link: Joseph and 4th from Tampa for Paul

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I prefer Paul to Joseph but I think the deal makes sense for both teams. Tampa can’t keep either so they get a better player for their run and we get a cheaper one.

Reactions: DrEasy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Formenton-Stutzle-Joseph would be one of the fastest lines in the league right?

Hopefully they get tried out together.

Reactions: Cosmix

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Can't pay Paul an extra 500 k that wants to be here and is good in the community but can pay Hamonic 3 million a year a player that can't play in the league. Along with all the other plugs. Never seen anything like this level of incompetence. Teams are over paying. Look what Tampa gave up for Hagel..... Katchouk and Raddysh and 2 firsts. Ottawa gets a 4th liner who is only 2 years younger and a 4th. lol f***in joke man. There is no point in being a fan of this.team.
Yeah im saying not bad because its not a mind boggling trade like Hamonic. That said Dorion is a fool that needs to go.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Just in general the size for speed swap is interesting. I love that we are introducing another speed demon. We seem to be focused on size as the more sought after identity trait, but getting speed is great. That the Bolts went the other way is kind of telling too. I guess if they figured they couldnt afford Joseph they wont be signing Paul either?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
What's the valuable asset?.... Am I missing something. They got a 25 year old 4th liner.
4th liner is a relative term. A 4th liner in Tampa could play on our 2nd line. This is the rare case where I feel a bit qualified to judge a player we acquire as I noticed him quite a bit when we faced Tampa and decided to focus on him. He has speed and hockey IQ. He could get us a 2nd rounder at whichever deadline we trade him (I'm not assuming we're making a playoff push any time soon), so in terms of value I don't think he's that different from Paul.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
This is a Brutal trade. I like Joseph (FAST) but he’s a 13 minute a night player and Nick Paul is a better player already and plays more
Minutes.

Don’t like it because it’s not a max value - he easily could of gotten more

Could have been like Spezza, or Fisher, Stone etc guy plays his heart out for the team and wants to move on. Team acts classy and takes less to get him where he wants to go.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Paul was the only winger on this team who could actually somehow cycle the puck in the OZ. The other player is Tkachuk. This management has no idea how important it is, to have players who can cycle the puck and pressure the defence and get them tired. No idea. Not even one winger is drafted, what the NHL is all about now in the last years. Pathetic!!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Could have been like Spezza, or Fisher, Stone etc guy plays his heart out for the team and wants to move on. Team acts classy and takes less to get him where he wants to go.

Maybe, but I think Paul is a better player then Joseph and the fact that Paul has been through the wringer here and come through the other side and has his best hockey in front of him. And the fans love him. Nothing against Joseph I just don’t get the move. It’s like the Demelo trade, like 3 years later your trading a 3rd for a Dman who makes $3 million to play your right side when you had that guy all along. 3 years later your desperate because you could never even replace a very replaceable player. And he won’t find another Nick Paul, so the move is basically lateral but you lost a heart and would guy the fans have a soft spot for

AND if you want a speed player with not great hockey sense but some hidden offence why didn’t you just sign Anthony Duclair? To think 3 years later your trading Nick Paul to get an Anthony Duclair type - this team just spins it’s tires and promises brighter days ahead, it’s what this team does

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Paul has been through the wringer here and come through the other side and has his best hockey in front of him.
Not sure where you come up with these takes? Paul is 27 years old and that is the peak age period for an NHLer. Rarely do guys get better from age 27 on. He will probably stay at the level he is now until 30 and start gradually dropping off. And there is a chance his best hockey might already be behind him.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not sure where you come up with these takes? Paul is 27 years old and that is the peak age period for an NHLer. Rarely do guys get better from age 27 on. He will probably stay at the level he is now until 30 and start gradually dropping off. And there is a chance his best hockey might already be behind him.
Yup that’s why the stone trade was such a good move too. Dorion is sneaky smart. Some fans just aren’t smrt enough to see it.
The man has “many plans”.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If he got fair value, sure. At least a 1st and another prospect.

he did … he got a mid first round dman (Branny) with a year of development and Sokolov.

If Vegas traded their first it would I have been a late 20 pick and the prospect could have been anything.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It would be damn fast, but two wingers with very little finish. I'd rather spread out the speed so that there's a breakaway threat stretching out the D on more lines;
I was going to say the same thing. Stutzle needs another forward on his line that take advantage of what he creates. He needs someone that can think the game, execute give & gos, finish plays that he sets up, etc. Speed alone doesn't do it. Formenton it seems gets 2 or 3 breakaways pretty well every game, but doesn't convert those opportunities very frequently. Formenton would probably add another 5 goals (get to the 25 goal mark approx per season maybe ?) if he was converting at a higher percentage. This isn't to knock Formenton. It's just to state that Stutzle needs another offensively skilled and talented player.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I was going to say the same thing. Stutzle needs another forward on his line that take advantage of what he creates. He needs someone that can think the game, execute give & gos, finish plays that he sets up, etc. Speed alone doesn't do it. Formenton it seems gets 2 or 3 breakaways pretty well every game, but doesn't convert those opportunities very frequently. Formenton would probably add another 5 goals (get to the 25 goal mark approx per season maybe ?) if he was converting at a higher percentage. This isn't to knock Formenton. It's just to state that Stutzle needs another offensively skilled and talented player.
Formenton has been really underwhelming for about 20 games now and hasn't been generating many breakaways at all. I think we're seeing him possibly plateau as a 3rd liner. Obviously he's still young and as he adjusts to the pro game he might improve enough to get second line duty when called upon but it looks like he's settling into the 3rd line agitator/pest with elite PK and speed role.

I'd even consider trying to sell high on him if there's a deal to be made where someone thinks they can see more potential in him and are willing to part with a high quality roster player that fills a need for us.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Way to many posters to high on Formneton. He has the potential to be a good third liner who should follow the Joseph contract path. I cringe at the idea of a $4x4+ type deal …

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The whole point here is…
If you liked Joseph sooo much then get him. But….don’t trade Paul for him. Keep both. Pay Paul 2.8 or something and build a quality bottom 6

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Just in general the size for speed swap is interesting. I love that we are introducing another speed demon. We seem to be focused on size as the more sought after identity trait, but getting speed is great. That the Bolts went the other way is kind of telling too. I guess if they figured they couldnt afford Joseph they wont be signing Paul either?
Probably not. They’re drafting and talent makes it feasible

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The whole point here is…
If you liked Joseph sooo much then get him. But….don’t trade Paul for him. Keep both. Pay Paul 2.8 or something and build a quality bottom 6
If Paul was even settling for 2.8 we have no clue. Also how do you expect us to get Joseph?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad