Confirmed with Link: Joseph and 4th from Tampa for Paul

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Everyone has these what we should of done perfect scenarios but no one really knows whats going on behind closed doors. Toronto gave up 2 2nds for a 38 yr old rental defenseman. Theres a lot we dont know and at the end of the day i think we can chalk this trade up as a W

Reactions: Sen sational

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
3 x 4.75

Year 1 - 1.25
Year 2 - 1.5
Year 3 - 2

Give or take

You made my heart sink with the 3 X 4.5...!

Those numbers look good to me and I am excited to see how he can fit with this group. As others have said he should slot in nicely on the third line and if he can find some chemistry with Formenton and Pinto that will be a bargain line when other big ticket players are consuming most of our cap.

Let's hope there is enough hockey iq between Formenton and Joseph to keep up with Pinto's offensive ceiling, that's my only concern. Brown is a better fit to play RW with Pinto but if Joseph can fill that role Brown can slide up and we can focus on a LW UFA upgrade in the top 6 and keep Formenton on the third line where he is better suited. Formenton Pinto Joseph has pretty exciting potential if things start to click.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You made my heart sink with the 3 X 4.5...!

Those numbers look good to me and I am excited to see how he can fit with this group. As others have said he should slot in nicely on the third line and if he can find some chemistry with Formenton and Pinto that will be a bargain line when other big ticket players are consuming most of our cap.

Let's hope there is enough hockey iq between Formenton and Joseph to keep up with Pinto's offensive ceiling, that's my only concern. Brown is a better fit to play RW with Pinto but if Joseph can fill that role Brown can slide up and we can focus on a LW UFA upgrade in the top 6 and keep Formenton on the third line where he is better suited. Formenton Pinto Joseph has pretty exciting potential if things start to click.

If the plan is to eventually trade Connor Brown now that we have Mathieu Joseph, it just pushes the day that we'll be relevant again, just like trading Nick Paul does. Until then, we are a talent developer for NHL teams, nothing more.

And I love Brown, he's a fantastic player but not the type Stutzle needs on RW to really take off.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson/????????
???????? - Stutzle - ????????/Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Brown
Crookshank - Kastelic - Joseph
Kelly

That's exactly how the forward group should be constructed (Maybe White will still be there though). We need a top-6 LW and a top-6 RW and another lottery pick could help! (sigh)

Reactions: Icelevel

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Funny that another teams low skill 4th liner comes here and instantly looks like one of the most skilled player on the team.

Reactions: Cosmix

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Maybe he was never low skill in the first place

he isn't low skill, just lower skilled relative to a team like Tampa.

We are not even playing in the same league as the good teams skillswise. they have good nhlers in the bottom six. we f***ing play chris tierney, tyler ennis, and adam gaudette as our pp2 options.

but naw lets draft for toughness at the #10 spot.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Funny that another teams low skill 4th liner comes here and instantly looks like one of the most skilled player on the team.

Crazy that instead of complimenting Joseph you choose to dis the talent on the team. Skill for skill our top 6 is in the top 50 percentile of the league when healthy so your comment doesn't really hold much water.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
If the plan is to eventually trade Connor Brown now that we have Mathieu Joseph, it just pushes the day that we'll be relevant again, just like trading Nick Paul does. Until then, we are a talent developer for NHL teams, nothing more.

And I love Brown, he's a fantastic player but not the type Stutzle needs on RW to really take off.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson/????????
???????? - Stutzle - ????????/Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Brown
Crookshank - Kastelic - Joseph
Kelly

That's exactly how the forward group should be constructed (Maybe White will still be there though). We need a top-6 LW and a top-6 RW and another lottery pick could help! (sigh)
Agreed. Brown is not the best fit on the second line and I didn't mean to suggest parting ways with him. With Paul gone I am firmly in the resign Brown for 6.5 or less camp.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

His numbers are very similar to Nick’s, slightly better. Was on the third line a lot, but moved up with injuries.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Only going by what Tampa Fans said, and its not about whether he has skill, they think he lacks only one skill, and that is finishing. So yes, he canm look awful good and very skilled, while not acting producing on the score sheet. That was the Tampa complaint.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He might look better to you because he is a fast skater & that's what you like, but in terms of finishing & producing pts he really hasn't done anything better than Paul. In fact, Paul has more goals. I doubt he beats out Formenton LW on the 2nd line or C. Brown on RW on the 2nd line. It's more likely he will be a 3rd liner just line Paul was here. He will need to find some chemistry with someone & start scoring otherwise he might not be much more different than Parkert Kelly.

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It was nice to see him get some top line reps over White last game. Maybe we can just let Brady or Josh do the finishing…

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just in general the size for speed swap is interesting. I love that we are introducing another speed demon. We seem to be focused on size as the more sought after identity trait, but getting speed is great. That the Bolts went the other way is kind of telling too. I guess if they figured they couldnt afford Joseph they wont be signing Paul either?
We could sign Paul as a UFA this coming summer. :)

Reactions: Icelevel

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Only going by what Tampa Fans said, and its not about whether he has skill, they think he lacks only one skill, and that is finishing. So yes, he canm look awful good and very skilled, while not acting producing on the score sheet. That was the Tampa complaint.
That's a good situation to be in. He's young and "finish" is one of those things that might just come naturally as he adapts a bit more to the league and gets better opportunities with our squad.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just in general the size for speed swap is interesting. I love that we are introducing another speed demon. We seem to be focused on size as the more sought after identity trait, but getting speed is great. That the Bolts went the other way is kind of telling too. I guess if they figured they couldnt afford Joseph they wont be signing Paul either?
Teams going into the playoffs usually get bigger & tougher since the playoffs is a notch or two higher in intensity, hitting & nastiness. No team wants to get physically overmatched or dominated in the playoffs & compensate at the trade deadline to assure that. Of course, they also try to shore up any weaknesses they may have as well but a lack of size & toughness can also be a weakness in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad