Confirmed with Link: Joseph and 4th from Tampa for Paul

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Pretty interchangeable with Connor Brown. Provides a lot more flexibility in the lineup

Another argument for trading Brown.

TB's shown us that those type of guys can be had almost every single year. They've paid essentially 2nd+prospect/2nd for the next best version of Brown every trade deadline... but have prioritized the big cash on the talent that actually breaks open tight games and wins you championships.

NYR too with Copp. Who's better? Copp/Coleman/Hagel or Brown? All the same. If not better.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Did we seriously just trade one of our better valued players for a 4th liner and a.........4th round pick???

Please, for the love of all that is good, fire our POS GM right the f*** now.
Mathieu Joseph scored three times, in Detroit…. And is now playing on the first line, so let’s see where it goes from her.

two different players, and different skill sets, and acquiring Joseph for a player that did want to sign an exte in Ottawa was a good move by our GM…… please tell me you did not want Paul to play out the string, and then walk for nothing?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

TB's shown us that those type of guys can be had almost every single year. They've paid essentially 2nd+prospect/2nd for the next best version of Brown every trade deadline... but have prioritized the big cash on the talent that actually breaks open tight games and wins you championships.

NYR too with Copp. Who's better? Copp/Coleman/Hagel or Brown? All the same. If not better.
But they pay through the nose for those guys, why throw 1st round picks down the toilet when we have the player already?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
But they pay through the nose for those guys, why throw 1st round picks down the toilet when we have the player already?
Pay through the nose? It's essentially a 2nd round pick or two for a guy who produces like Brown being paid 1-2 million.

It's genius.

Similarly, we've paid a 2nd for Stepan, a 3rd for Hamonic etc. You see what I'm saying here?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Nick Paul is literally one of the best defensive forwards in the league. He has a good offensive start with his new team too with 5 pts in 7 games despite only 12:11 TOI/GP

Joseph can be more offensive though and he certainly has a great start but the question is to what point? To the point that's he's the other Top-6 RW with Batherson? Or he's the other Top-6 LW with Tkachuk?

Or would he make Connor Brown expendable? But can he be as good defensively? On the PK? In all matchup situations? I am a big Greigliever so I think he'll be a top-6 forward for us so there might be just one RW spot to grab. Could we have this kind of top-9 and could it be contending level?

Greig - Stutzle - Batherson
Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
Formenton - Pinto - Brown

Do we draft a RD with our incoming Draft pick? (Nemec/Jiricek?)

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

They gave up a 1st for both Goodrow and Coleman... Two firsts for Hagel. Getting Colin White vibes at this point.

You know they would only have to give him a raise for 1.5 million to keep him right? The team is carrying a salary right now below the cap floor and they have 16 + million tied up in players that are barely replacement level. Take your pitch fork in another direction. Brown is a good player, this is getting really strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JackieDaytona

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
They gave up a 1st for both Goodrow and Coleman... Two firsts for Hagel. Getting Colin White vibes at this point.

You know they would only have to give him a raise for 1.5 million to keep him right? The team is carrying a salary right now below the cap floor and they have 16 + million tied up in players that are barely replacement level. Take your pitch fork in another direction. Brown is a good player, this is getting really strange.

You sure about that? He'll only ask for 5? Again, calm down with the immature passive aggressiveness and understand the point I am making. He is absolutely valuable. But at what point is too much for us not to keep him(especially considering makeup of the team + his age). I am speaking from the lens of a budget team, if we weren't, it's easy decision. Our highest paid forward is essentially a Connor Brown, thus we have those guys internally but not enough gamebreaking talent that... you know.. wins cups.

Goodrow and Coleman got back extremely late 1sts aka 2nd rounders(i think one was higher as it was someone else's 1st). 2 1sts for Hagel are going to be 2 more 2nd round picks for a 23 year old version of Brown paid 1.5 mil for 3 playoff runs.

I am talking about the future of this team, not now, genius; you should know my perspective by now. And not sure what "Colin White vibes" means, the guy is prime candidate to get bought-out and he's in heavy rumors of being traded(with rumor that MTL nixed last second deal a few weeks ago); so Sweatred was clearly justified(if that's what youre alluding to).

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You sure about that? He'll only ask for 5? Again, calm down with the immature passive aggressiveness and understand the point I am making. He is absolutely valuable. But at what point is too much for us not to keep him(especially considering makeup of the team + his age). I am speaking from the lens of a budget team, if we weren't, it's easy decision. Our highest paid forward is essentially a Connor Brown, thus we have those guys internally but not enough gamebreaking talent that... you know.. wins cups.

Goodrow and Coleman got back extremely late 1sts aka 2nd rounders(i think one was higher as it was someone else's 1st). 2 1sts for Hagel are going to be 2 more 2nd round picks for a 23 year old version of Brown paid 1.5 mil for 3 playoff runs.

I am talking about the future of this team, not now, genius; you should know my perspective by now. And not sure what "Colin White vibes" means, the guy is prime candidate to get bought-out and he's in heavy rumors of being traded(with rumor that MTL nixed last second deal a few weeks ago); so Sweatred was clearly justified(if that's what youre alluding to).
What was the Montreal rumour?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What was the Montreal rumour?

White was almost traded to MTL before the deadline but didn't finalize. Trade is likely to be revisited over the summer. There's been posts about it from sources on twitter. Can't find them off the top of my head.

Bruce also reported we were actively shopping him.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Nick Paul is literally one of the best defensive forwards in the league. He has a good offensive start with his new team too with 5 pts in 7 games despite only 12:11 TOI/GP

Joseph can be more offensive though and he certainly has a great start but the question is to what point? To the point that's he's the other Top-6 RW with Batherson? Or he's the other Top-6 LW with Tkachuk?

Or would he make Connor Brown expendable? But can he be as good defensively? On the PK? In all matchup situations? I am a big Greigliever so I think he'll be a top-6 forward for us so there might be just one RW spot to grab. Could we have this kind of top-9 and could it be contending level?

Add in Giroux and that starts to look interesting.
And I still like the RD idea at the Draft.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Pay through the nose? It's essentially a 2nd round pick or two for a guy who produces like Brown being paid 1-2 million.

It's genius.

Similarly, we've paid a 2nd for Stepan, a 3rd for Hamonic etc. You see what I'm saying here?
I'm certainly not gonna defend some of Dorion's trades lol.

My argument for Brown is, here we have a guy who does things right on and off the ice apparently, a solid leader etc. If you can work the cap properly and keep him without sacrificing any of the young core, I think you do whatever you can to do it.

Maybe Brown and Ottawa agree on a longer term, lower cap hit kind of deal.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Add in Giroux and that starts to look interesting.
And I still like the RD idea at the Draft.

RHD are a hot commodity. Good RDs are as rare as the pope's poop. if we are in the position to draft one and the guy is BPA (or very close), then just get him no matter how many we already have (and the Zaitsevs/Hamonics, etc)

If we get Giroux?

Giroux - Stutzle - Batherson

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Obviously extremely difficult to not love what he’s done to Detroit two games in a row

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
RHD are a hot commodity. Good RDs are as rare as the pope's poop. if we are in the position to draft one and the guy is BPA (or very close), then just get him no matter how many we already have(and the Zaitsev/Hamonic, etc)

If we get Giroux?

Giroux - Stutzle - Batherson
That’s a solid look. If Greig slots in it will be as a 4th to start. Does he get Watson and White ? Prefer White moves along.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

Love those lines!

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Any chance Paul double's back to the sens on their final offer in the UFA market? Will he for sure get more than that?

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Any chance Paul double's back to the sens on their final offer in the UFA market? Will he for sure get more than that?
He's unlikely to get less than that, unless he's in a city that offers him some tax advantages. Many more eyes on him this playoffs with Tampa, if he steps it up then he could certainly get more.

Reactions: Cosmix and OD99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad