Confirmed with Link: Joseph and 4th from Tampa for Paul

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Teams going into the playoffs usually get bigger & tougher since the playoffs is a notch or two higher in intensity, hitting & nastiness. No team wants to get physically overmatched or dominated in the playoffs & compensate at the trade deadline to assure that. Of course, they also try to shore up any weaknesses they may have as well but a lack of size & toughness can also be a weakness in the playoffs.

Oh for sure, i agree with you. It's telling about Tampa but not surprising. Paul will give them a great part of a new third line to restore what they lost. When the Bolts great 3rd line all got ufa contracts they arent as useful for a top heavy team. They need guys with contracts like Pauls. But he will be ufa this summer. The market price for Goodrow and Coleman surprised me a bit. Paul would probably get more than we'd want to pay given all the prospects coming im thinking.

Im looking forward to guys like Boucher and Kleven playing along with Brady and even Batherson. Its not so much the fighting but the ability to regain physical control of a game where the other team is battling hard. And as you say, espcially in the playoffs. More speed right now is valuable for us cause im not so worried about more power.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This is a trade where one of the teams is going to deeply regret making it. Both players have some breakout potential.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Tampa will prob win the cup again and Paul will be valuable while we get a good player that was buried on a deep team.

Both sides will like it imo. good hockey trade
Yep. This feels like a much lower-tier version of the Heatley-Hossa trade. I really liked both players and I had no idea which one would turn out better. But you kind of know both are going to be good.

Reactions: Yak and Agent Zub

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
This is a trade where one of the teams is going to deeply regret making it. Both players have some breakout potential.

Yep. This feels like a much lower-tier version of the Heatley-Hossa trade. I really liked both players and I had no idea which one would turn out better. But you kind of know both are going to be good.
Gotta be honest, I don't know how anyone can watch Nick Paul play nearly 18 minutes a night for us this year and think he has more than 30-40 point a season potential. Valuable player, great guy to have in the bottom-6 but breakout potential?

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Gotta be honest, I don't know how anyone can watch Nick Paul play nearly 18 minutes a night for us this year and think he has more than 30-40 point a season potential. Valuable player, great guy to have in the bottom-6 but breakout potential?

100% agree. Not enough vision or finish to be a regular on a scoring line. Hes a perfect bottom 6 energy line player.

Reactions: The Expert

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
100% and Tampa doesn't need him to be. He's perfect in the role that Tampa's playing him in, and I don't think Joseph could've filled that role as well, even though he's going to end up being the better player (and I'm guessing by quite a bit).

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I love this trade simply for the fact that we got back an actual proven NHL player who is still young enough and has the potential to improve even more, as opposed to an alternative option that probably would have seen us grab a 2nd round pick and a B-level prospect for Nick Paul instead.

Plus we get instantly faster overall by subtracting Paul and adding Joseph.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, have to think that Paul's "break out" potential is 30 points since he's never come close and that's what people project his salary to in the ball park of.

But I also imagine Joseph's hat trick was also motivated from his recent trade than should be expected of his skill set. Man's broken 20 points once, and that was as a rookie 3 seasons ago. Besides this year I mean. His ceiling is probably slightly higher than Paul's, I'd put at 35-40 points.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I like MJ, he has wheels and hands and is great on PK and PP2. He may not be as strong as Paul but I think he fits our needs moving forward better.

Small sample size however and hopefully we can sign him to a team friendly deal. I want to see more before we make a commitment long term.

However this guy has two cup rings and has opportunity to move up the lineup that he never had in TB. He fits what we are building here so I am happy to see how he fits in the team moving forward.

Him and forms seem like a match made in heaven now is that on 2nd or 3rd line we will see. Pinto centering that line on the 3rd would be awesome also. Potential!

Reactions: Cosmix

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Effort, effort, effort.

Perfect replacement for Paul here. We needed a player that could have a role in the bottom 6 here and he's that guy. He's hustling, playing hard for a guy his size, he has great patience with the puck and doesn't just give it away and he has a good head for what's happening around him.

I loved that trade from day one but he's solidifying it with his play thus far. He doesn't need to or won't score every game but he drives the play. He's better than Paul at driving the offense no doubt and we really needed more players that do that, we just don't have enough. Love this player. Hia speed is a problem for opposing teams.

I want to see Formenton play harder like Joseph does. Seems like he lost his identity a little bit lately.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Raved about this trade then, raving about it still.

Even if he still as he is, he is exactly what we needed on the right side while Paul was a left winger. His speed and skill are clearly superior and his character will fit right in. What a great, great trade.

Seriously, just wait until Pinto is his centre. They're going to be a critical duo for us in playoffs in tight games against opposition's best. Their play styles perfect for one another. Throw Formenton on other side and that's an identity line for Ottawa.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There is another option but it is less likely to be used:
Formenton - Stutzle - Joseph

That would be a tough line to play against due to its high end speed and quickness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad