Confirmed with Link: Joseph and 4th from Tampa for Paul

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
In tampa he’s playing fourth line. How would he flourish there even if it’s the best team in the world. Still minutes aren’t great.

Here he will likely get some shifts with stutzle maybe even with tkatchuk and Norris to add speed

There's a reason he's playing on their 4th line. And even then usually everyone's stats get a boost in Tampa but his have remained quite modest.

With that said I still like him as a player and if we hadn't lost Paul for him he'd definitely have made our bottom-6 better. Now it's basically a lateral move.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
You don't get rid of guys like Paul, you add players like Paul for your bottom 6! Joseph is a good player but we probably could have had him for a pick and let TB find another Paul somewhere else. Only time will tell.

Wish Paul will comeback as a UFA in the summer but that rarely happens.

Reactions: Icelevel

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Like most here, I like this trade too. I think this return is better than just a 2nd rounder, which is what I was expecting we could get for trading Paul. Every time we play Tampa I seem to notice Joseph. He's fast and seems to have good hockey IQ. If he ends up being like Formenton but as a RW we have done well.

Now let's see how Dorion manages to F this up. Maybe he'll walk away from arby like he did with Duclair? But seriously, as long as Joseph signs for a couple of years at less than $2M/yr (I am factoring in Dorion's negotiation talents) we add a good player who can contribute immediately and who could still return that same 2nd rounder later down the road.

Hopefully Dorion doesn't think this is the top 6 forward we needed and still tries to acquire someone in the off-season. But as of now, our opening roster for the 2022-23 season looks like this:

Chuck - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Stutzle - C. Brown
Crookshank? - Pinto - Joseph <- ideally a top 6 acquisition pushes Formenton down to this line to take Crookshank's spot
Kelly - White - Watson <- I would keep White for depth purposes as he could play on the top 6 in a pinch
Kastelic, Gambrell, Gaudette, Sokolov, Greig

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic <- sad but better than J. Brown
Brannstrom - Zaitsev <- god help us
Lassi, JBD
edit: I always forget Holden, pair him with Zaitsev and Brannstrom fills in whatever injury we inevitably have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosside and sens13

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Bolts fan checking in, hope Joseph does well in Ottawa! He's pretty fast but doesn't finish as much as he should, his puck skills aren't the best either but interested to see what more minutes does for him. Bolts will attempt to get Nick Paul a cup, hopefully he plays a large role in it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Bolts fan checking in, hope Joseph does well in Ottawa! He's pretty fast but doesn't finish as much as he should, his puck skills aren't the best either but interested to see what more minutes does for him. Bolts will attempt to get Nick Paul a cup, hopefully he plays a large role in it.
Paul is awesome. You guys robbed us. Good luck.
Will be cheering for him in the playoffs and every time he faces us in the future.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yeah i like what im seeing here. Definitely has much better hands and speed than paul. Thats really top notch speed.
Not sure about much better hands …. We have to see all the misses which these videos don’t show

Paul is also a much better board player. It is what it is I guess we couldn’t sign him

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yeah i like what im seeing here. Definitely has much better hands and speed than paul. Thats really top notch speed.

Without question.

This is a great, great move by Dorion. Joseph is a hard working, high quality player who is RW. Perfectly slots on our 3rd line.

IMO he is a better fit RW version of Paul. High pace, better hands and speed, and tenacious. As you can see from his highlight videos, he also has been slotted up with some of the star players and made some high, high quality plays. There's some unlocked potential with Joseph too, big time point producer in CHL and AHL.

This now allows us to go after someone like Fiala or Giroux.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Fiala/Giroux-Stutzle-Brown
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph(super fun to watch)

Reactions: Crosside

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Regardless of how you feel about Paul or Joseph, it’s an example of Dorion’s inability to negotiate and be opportunistic in situations where he could press disadvantage. Tampa would be unable to qualify Joseph without running into cap trouble. Retention on the outgoing player, still gets a 4th. We could have obtained Joseph for less, and got something more valuable for Paul. Even within this trade, Dorion should have pressed more for better return for retention. Reverse roles, dorions giving up a 2nd.

I think your ignoring two maybe three possibilities:

A/ That Tampa had contingency plans beyond Paul.
B/ That PD was targeting Joseph or at least liked him as a return vs other options
C/ That Paul's value on the open market wasn't as high as you think

There are nuances to every deal and on the ones that appear decent we can't pretend that we know better without being in the room.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Paul is awesome. You guys robbed us. Good luck.
Will be cheering for him in the playoffs and every time he faces us in the future.
Awesome? He was on pace for 25 points and squandered his opportunity at playing a top 6 role on a lottery team. I liked Paul as much as the next guy heading into this season but if you think he's awesome you're stuck somewhere in 2020 when we all thought he'd pan out to be more than just a decent depth guy.

Nick Paul was nice, but not at the price.

• Haha

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not bad.

Edit: Surely they could have got more in this market for retaining salary
Can't pay Paul an extra 500 k that wants to be here and is good in the community but can pay Hamonic 3 million a year a player that can't play in the league. Along with all the other plugs. Never seen anything like this level of incompetence. Teams are over paying. Look what Tampa gave up for Hagel..... Katchouk and Raddysh and 2 firsts. Ottawa gets a 4th liner who is only 2 years younger and a 4th. lol f***in joke man. There is no point in being a fan of this.team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think your ignoring two maybe three possibilities:

A/ That Tampa had contingency plans beyond Paul.
B/ That PD was targeting Joseph or at least liked him as a return vs other options
C/ That Paul's value on the open market wasn't as high as you think

There are nuances to every deal and on the ones that appear decent we can't pretend that we know better without being in the room.
Why are you giving Dorion any credit here. What indication is there that he has any clue what he is doing. The team got.worse and he got garbage value back compared to the rest of the league. For a player that actually wanted to be here.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
This a rare case of a "sell high" operation by our GM. I like Nick Paul, but by now we know he is what he is, and getting a valuable asset back for him at the deadline was the right decision. If he really likes Ottawa, we can still make him an offer as a free agent, having our cake and eating it too. Although I'd rather allocate the money toward a difference-maker in our top 6, if nobody wants our money, there are worse players to give it to than Nick Paul.

Reactions: TheDebater

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Awesome? He was on pace for 25 points and squandered his opportunity at playing a top 6 role on a lottery team. I liked Paul as much as the next guy heading into this season but if you think he's awesome you're stuck somewhere in 2020 when we all thought he'd pan out to be more than just a decent depth guy.

Nick Paul was nice, but not at the price.
Why are you talking about price they're paying 4 d men that doent belong in the NHL 10.7 million.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This a rare case of a "sell high" operation by our GM. I like Nick Paul, but by now we know he is what he is, and getting a valuable asset back for him at the deadline was the right decision. If he really likes Ottawa, we can still make him an offer as a free agent, having our cake and eating it too. Although I'd rather allocate the money toward a difference-maker in our top 6, if nobody wants our money, there are worse players to give it to than Nick Paul.
What's the valuable asset?.... Am I missing something. They got a 25 year old 4th liner.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How high of a draft could we get? I really don't care about 2nd rounders anymore and we never actually use picks to trade for anything significant.
The premise that 2nd round picks don't matter because this organization sucks doesn't change the fact they have value. This entire concept on your end just shows how hopeless this is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad