Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Benn been impressive so far. If I were Vegas I would take a good look at him, he is on a cheap deal also.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Benn been impressive so far. If I were Vegas I would take a good look at him, he is on a cheap deal also.

Personally, I'd rather just protect Benn over Beaulieu at this point.

Beaulieu keeps making the same stupid mistakes and hasn't taken the next step to becoming a top 4 D. With Sergachev potentially being ready for a spot next year, having a solid veteran partner like Benn would be great and would allow him to play more offensively.

Also, with Weber/Petry combining for over $13 million and if we re-sign Markov, having Benn on a cheap contract for two years helps minimize the money spent on our D.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Personally, I'd rather just protect Benn over Beaulieu at this point.

Beaulieu keeps making the same stupid mistakes and hasn't taken the next step to becoming a top 4 D. With Sergachev potentially being ready for a spot next year, having a solid veteran partner like Benn would be great and would allow him to play more offensively.

Also, with Weber/Petry combining for over $13 million and if we re-sign Markov, having Benn on a cheap contract for two years helps minimize the money spent on our D.
That is a good question to ask.

But Benn is much older than Beaulieu. So I tend to still protect Beaulieu.
Beaulieu is skating better than Benn but Benn can also skate pretty well as we could see when he caught Pageau.

Now let's see: between Benn, Emelin and Plekanec who is picked by LV?

Still a tough question.
Benn is a bottom-6 and I do not see top-4 in his future.
Beaulieu on the other side can be a top-4 next year or the following year.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
That is a good question to ask.

But Benn is much older than Beaulieu. So I tend to still protect Beaulieu.
Beaulieu is skating better than Benn but Benn can also skate pretty well as we could see when he caught Pageau.

Now let's see: between Benn, Emelin and Plekanec who is picked by LV?

Still a tough question.
Benn is a bottom-6 and I do not see top-4 in his future.
Beaulieu on the other side can be a top-4 next year or the following year.

I think Vegas picks Benn over those 2, has 2 more years and signed to a solid caphit.

Given our team is in a win-now mode, it makes me prefer to protect Benn over Beaulieu as he's the much better player right now. Ideally we trade Beaulieu before the draft instead of losing him for nothing.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I think Vegas picks Benn over those 2, has 2 more years and signed to a solid caphit.

Given our team is in a win-now mode, it makes me prefer to protect Benn over Beaulieu as he's the much better player right now. Ideally we trade Beaulieu before the draft instead of losing him for nothing.
Makes sense. LV will easily find a top-4 that is better than Beaulieu, Benn and Emelin.
Just look at Anaheim, Nashville, Min, etc.

It also depends on the SCap. If sign Beaulieu at 2.5-3M, maybe LV won't want him as a bottom-6.
They will find better deal for less money.
Emelin who played a lot of top-4 and hit like a mule on a one year contract at 4.1M might be more interesting than Beaulieu on a 3MX3.

Remember, Beaulieu is RFA and there is a value for a pace of nearly 30 points at 23 years old.
Still think that Beaulieu has more offensive upside than Been and Emelin. Benn is 29 and his best season so far is 20 points. It is perfectly possible for Beaulieu to reach 40 points before 29 years old. Benn only played in NHL at 24 years old. His first full NHL season was at 26 years old.

For now, Benn has 310 NHL games and Beaulieu has 215 games.
Pretty sure Beaulieu can still improve both offense and defense.
So with better defense in two years and 4 or 5 seasons with 30+ points Beaulieu is a much better deal than Benn.
Remember, Benn only arrived in NHL at 25 years old and played 3 games that year.
So yes, Benn is better in defense and most d-men at 29 years old are better than d-men at 23 years but there is no chance to see Benn get to 30 points.

To me it is not obvious.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Wouldn't you need to protect the player you acquire in exchange? Don't really have room for protection at offense.

I think we have more room on offense

The other players I really want to protect are

Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
Radulov
Danault
Byron

Shaw and Gallagher are playing well now but need to go.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I've "Benn" saying it for a while now, when it comes to the D, protect :

Weber
Petry
Benn

This will be beyond the easiest decision Bergevin will have to make.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Weber
Petry
Benn

Not protecting Beaulieu would be extremely stupid.

LV wont take a 30 years old 3rd pairing dman. Forget it.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
It's not an easy decision. Beaulieu is still young and produces more offensively. I love Benn but does not make long term sense. This expansion draft really sucks. I see it as 50/50 decision.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Weber
Petry
Benn

Even sweeter seeing Pateryn with 1 assist and a -4 in 3 games with the Stars.

Benn's legit!!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This guy continues making his case for protection for the expansion draft with each passing game. We might be the only team to protect our 3rd pairing guy! Although we know he's not just a 3rd pairing guy.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Again. Beaulieu will be protected or traded.

I think trading beaulieu and protecting benn is the good thing thing to or if we cant trade beaulieu they will have been hes good but no potential to improve and he can be replaced

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Again. Beaulieu will be protected or traded.

Could be traded too. But not sure you'll get a lot from him just before the xpac draft. You'll need to find a team able to protect him and willing to pay something we actually can protect. It reduces the number of teams you can dance with to not a lot. Usually it means you wont get much.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I'm sorry but it would be obvious for LV to pick up Beaulieu. Come on guys, the guy is still a good skater, can produce points, can fight, and he is what, 24? And you would lose that for free??

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I'm sorry but it would be obvious for LV to pick up Beaulieu. Come on guys, the guy is still a good skater, can produce points, can fight, and he is what, 24? And you would lose that for free??
that's why you trade him before

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Yeah if you decide you value Benn more, you definitely trade Beaulieu and not let Vegas take him for nothing.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yeah if you decide you value Benn more, you definitely trade Beaulieu and not let Vegas take him for nothing.

The only way you can protect the Beaulieu asset is if you trade him for a draft pick otherwise you have to protect whatever player you get in return.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This guy continues making his case for protection for the expansion draft with each passing game. We might be the only team to protect our 3rd pairing guy! Although we know he's not just a 3rd pairing guy.

Benn is solid, he's smart, he defends his teammates and he comes at a very cheap cap hit for 2 more years, LV would die for this type of player.

Benn is the player being protected......as for Beaulieu, he'll get traded this summer.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
The only way you can protect the Beaulieu asset is if you trade him for a draft pick otherwise you have to protect whatever player you get in return.

Exactly! Most people don't realize that. Even if you package him 2 vs 1 so that this problem is solved, it wouldn't work because the other team would be facing the same problem.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
LV would die for this type of player.

Why?

They wont win next 3 to 5 seasons minimum. They'll be looking for kids or proven vets with lot of experience to help the kids (ideally tradeable at the next deadline or two for good picks). Benn is neither.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Benn is solid, he's smart, he defends his teammates and he comes at a very cheap cap hit for 2 more years, LV would die for this type of player.

Benn is the player being protected......as for Beaulieu, he'll get traded this summer.

Makes sense to me.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The best way to protect beaulieu and Benn is to make sure LV takes a forward. This may involve dangling someone and throwing in a pick. There's going to be a lot of collusion this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad