Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
He's been impressive so far so kudos to him. What I like the most from watching him is his ability to keep a guy off him and maintain control of the puck when he wheels behind the net. He makes simple plays and doesn't try to do too much, very solid defensively. Exactly what we needed on the third pairing with Beaulieu.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The members of this community ALWAYS over value our own players and prospects.
There was a huge outcry on this board when we unloaded guys like Diaz (remember him) and Sekac.
According to some Sekac was supposed to solve all of our scoring problems. He's not even in the NHL anymore.

Patteryn was a 6-7 D-man at best, borderline NHLer. Benn is an NHLer.

Andrew Berkshire effect.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Anyone else notice when he is fending off someone pressuring him with one hand, he holds his stick lower with the other hand to manipulate the puck?

jordie-benn-and-brendan-gallagher-of-the-montreal-canadiens-fight-for-picture-id646441264

You can't see it clearly in the picture, but you can tell he's holding his stick lower. It helps him play the puck more steadily.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Why did Dallas bother trading him? Not suggesting he's untouchable but is there any reason?

He's playing alot better than I ever remember him in Dallas, although my assessment is probably outdated and a smaller sample size too.

What is an obvious upgrade over pateryn thus far is his ability to get pucks on net. He may not have that big shot that pateryn has but what's the point when pateryn has yet to prove that he can deliver it often enough, or even get it through traffic on a consistent basis.

On the defensive side, he's been reliable for the most part. There's not too many head scratching moments so far, and he is looking like a luxury as a 3rd pairing guy right now.

A seemingly low mistake rate and ability to get pucks on net has been Benn's stamp so far IMO.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
A while back I posted in the Pateryn thread (before his trade) saying he was an average, if not below average, bottom pairing defenceman. I got called out to explain what I meant as it apparently makes no sense, but I think the performance of Jordie Benn shows what a good bottom pairing defenceman is.

People liked Pateryn and felt he deserved more of a shot. I thought he had very questionable decision making with the puck and wasn't the best skater. Benn gives the Habs 3 solid pairings. No longer do we wince when we see Johnston and Barberio on the ice. Think of how simple and important it is to be able to trust any pairing in any situation.

Ditto. I thought Pateryn was over-rated on these boards and said so many times. I liked him better than Johnston/Hanley though!

He did too many stupid things with the puck instead of making the safe play. If you provide offense like P.K. Subban than going for the odd low percentage play sometimes can work, but Greg Pateryn? Yeah, no.

Benn brings - so far - stability to that bottom pairing. Keep it simple, make the smart play, that's what you want from your bottom pairing.

ultraboy

Jul 7, 2006
Love the guy, brings stability and is physical when needed. Love how he plays without the puck, very smart..

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He's playing alot better than I ever remember him in Dallas, although my assessment is probably outdated and a smaller sample size too.

What is an obvious upgrade over pateryn thus far is his ability to get pucks on net. He may not have that big shot that pateryn has but what's the point when pateryn has yet to prove that he can deliver it often enough, or even get it through traffic on a consistent basis.

On the defensive side, he's been reliable for the most part. There's not too many head scratching moments so far, and he is looking like a luxury as a 3rd pairing guy right now.

A seemingly low mistake rate and ability to get pucks on net has been Benn's stamp so far IMO.

I think he has been pretty good in his role too, but would you believe that getting pucks through has actually been a weakness of his pretty much since joining the league? Hard to believe that he's pretty consistently a 38-40% thru guy, which always ranked low even among Dallas defensemen. Seems to me he's a fit for what we need so far, and likely to improve on that 38-40% (his current 67% is probably unsustainable, lol) among other things.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I am a fan of this guy. He won me over the first game when he jumped on Hartnell when he was trying to get rough in front of the net with Beaulieu at some point.

And also the play where Hartnell took out Price's leg (with the help of Price, who sneakily placed himself in that position purposely). He and Beaulieu didn't waste time passing the message to Hartnell.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Maybe he was ask to play a bigger role in Dallas, maybe he just on a high from getting traded, maybe everyone had extremely low expectations...
I expected better puck skill and maybe a bit more agility or mobility but I didn't expect it to translate into such a upgrad. He gain a lot of points in my book. If he keep up is play and considering is contract he might even get drafted in the expansion draft.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I think he has been pretty good in his role too, but would you believe that getting pucks through has actually been a weakness of his pretty much since joining the league? Hard to believe that he's pretty consistently a 38-40% thru guy, which always ranked low even among Dallas defensemen. Seems to me he's a fit for what we need so far, and likely to improve on that 38-40% (his current 67% is probably unsustainable, lol) among other things.

It sounds more like the jordie benn I remember in Dallas, but I'm willing to look at this with a clean slate.

Yes, that Percentage will likely come down, but hopefully it isnt a total tease like Mitchell and his early season goal scoring over the last two seasons.

By the way, where did you get those numbers? It sounds like a pretty decent resource to refer to.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
By the way, where did you get those numbers? It sounds like a pretty decent resource to refer to.

It's the last column of the "skater advanced statistics" of team pages on hockeyreference. Annoyingly, it's not part of individual player pages, so you have to skip from roster year to roster year to see how players progress.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Benn had another solid game yesterday night. He's pretty reliable. Good acquisition, MB !

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Id try him with Weber for a few shifts if I was CJ. Really liked who he played. He controls the puck well and makes ok-to-good passes.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Id try him with Weber for a few shifts if I was CJ. Really liked who he played. He controls the puck well and makes ok-to-good passes.

I'd pump the brakes a bit on that one... If you really want to start hating a player, throw him in over his head for a while and watch him flounder. Dallas basically already tried to do this with him, and the results were disastrous. You can hope to find a "fit", but...

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Thought he had a very solid game yesterday, even when he turned the puck over he came back to stop a breakaway from behind the player. I've Benn pleasantly surprised by his play :handclap:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
This guy has been even more solid than Weaver when we acquired him. Didn't like the fact that we added a 4th round pick for a swap that seemed like a lateral move but I am glad to be eating crow on this one!

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Should we protect Benn and Trade Beaulieu for a top six forward?

I think yes, but it will be hard to find a team that wants Beaulieu in a package for a top 6 forward.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Not something you'd see from Weber.
Mind you he messed up the shot but he's got some underrated speed and instincts.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Should we protect Benn and Trade Beaulieu for a top six forward?

I think yes, but it will be hard to find a team that wants Beaulieu in a package for a top 6 forward.

Wouldn't you need to protect the player you acquire in exchange? Don't really have room for protection at offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad