Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lmao. Funny how it works in Montreal. You’re either a superstar or you suck. There’s no in-between.

Benn is a decent NHL player and successful teams NEEDS players like him.

Not really no..teams would be more than fine without him in the line up. He sucks.
He's slightly better than Paul Mara.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think within the next 2-3 years we will ride Weber-Petry-Mete as our top-3 while everyone is developping. I definitely could see Bergevin giving some good money to Edler for 2-3 years to strengthen the top-4. Don't forget Alzner is also signed for 3 more years, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rebound to be honest. With Price playing well and all our depth up front, I think that D could hold up for the time being.

After the expansion draft is when I think we will see most of our prospects become regular. I think Weber, Alzner, Petry and (Edler) would be gone by then. So yeah, Brook, Romanov, Mete, Juulsen and Fleury should be our main cogs with maybe a UFA or trade for a veteran added in.

Worst comes to worst Weber is staying and is basically our #6 guy

I think Alzner could rebound but only as a 3rd pairing depth guy. Or we buy him out after next season.

Weber will be interesting to watch when he is in his age 35 season which is right before the expansion draft. His contract is designed for him to retire after his age 36 or age 37 season. So if we protect him, it might be for only 2 more seasons. He needs to be the same player he is today in that age 35 season if we are protecting him IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really no..teams would be more than fine without him in the line up. He sucks.

Benn on the 3rd pairing is not bad value. He doesn't suck when you consider him 3rd pairing quality. The issue is we have played him in a top 4D role before.

Reactions: Victorius

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think within the next 2-3 years we will ride Weber-Petry-Mete as our top-3 while everyone is developping. I definitely could see Bergevin giving some good money to Edler for 2-3 years to strengthen the top-4. Don't forget Alzner is also signed for 3 more years, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rebound to be honest. With Price playing well and all our depth up front, I think that D could hold up for the time being.

After the expansion draft is when I think we will see most of our prospects become regular. I think Weber, Alzner, Petry and (Edler) would be gone by then. So yeah, Brook, Romanov, Mete, Juulsen and Fleury should be our main cogs with maybe a UFA or trade for a veteran added in.

Worst comes to worst Weber is staying and is basically our #6 guy
You lost me when you said you would not be surprised to see Alzner rebound...Alzner plays one way and no way he rebounds with his slow skating and inability to transition the puck

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Benn is a perfect #6 d-man. Cheap. Can play either side.

Benn on the 3rd pairing is not bad value. He doesn't suck when you consider him 3rd pairing quality. The issue is we have played him in a top 4D role before.

As others said, Benn on the third pair is a perfect fit for any team. Can play both side, big body, decent first pass, PK guy and is having a good season offensively.

I repeat, you don’t a team full of superstars. Benn is never going to be a superstar or a first pairing guy but he is a useful player on any contender

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's quite remarkable actually..
No current holes? lol...That defensive group is terrible. Juulsen? Lol, the hell has he done? Folin..Benn...Jeez Louizz...
He needs to beat out Benn? Oh lordy lord, how will he ever manage to do that!

Some people need to raise their standards, LOL

You misunderstand me. I was being literal. When Mete made it in the lineup, there was literally a hole there with virtually no competition for that spot. One of you might have made the team in those circumstances. Now they have actual players, actually playing in the NHL and some AHL options as well.

So without being snarky or pithy, if you look at the situation now vs then, we literally have more depth than we had in the past. Quality is another conversation but quantity is certainly not an issue as it was.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I think him being a good or not so good 3rd pairing dman vastly depends on the composition of your team. I think even as a 3rd pairing guy he has big shortcomings. He looks good on a 3rd pairing 90% of the time but the 10% he looks bad it's really bad. He can cost you games and in playoffs you want to avoid your bottom 6 costing you games. The role of your top 6 is to win the games and your bottom 6 should at least not cost you said games.

The mistake he did on the game tying goal by Carolina is the kind of pee wee mistakes we see too much of him. I mean you learn that very early. I played defense when i was young and my coaches told me very early to not attempt to block easy shots. Make sure your goalie has a clear view of the puck, get out of the way, clear the front of the net and get the rebound or protect your goalie when he freezes the puck. That's what i've been told all my life. Yet Benn attempted to block a very easy shot and deflected it in his own net. You can clearly see watching the replay he lift his leg and really attempt to block the shot. I know one of my coach when i was around 10 who would have yelled at Benn for 10 minutes after a play like that.

If you have a very strong top 5 and a contending lineup (in a cap hell situation) and are looking to add a good cheap vet with a good attitude on your 3rd pairing as a 6th dman then he is a viable option. But in our situation where the top 5 is weak we should be looking at more versatile and more reliable 3rd pairing guys. Younger guys who can skate and who avoid doing too much pee wee mistakes. Guys who can handle some top 4 duty if needed here and there. Frankly Benn has been a train wreck every time we asked him to be a top 4 for a significant period of time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think him being a good or not so good 3rd pairing dman vastly depends on the composition of your team. I think even as a 3rd pairing guy he has big shortcomings. He looks good on a 3rd pairing 90% of the time but the 10% he looks bad it's really bad. He can cost you games and in playoffs you want to avoid your bottom 6 costing you games. The role of your top 6 is to win the games and your bottom 6 should at least not cost you said games.

The mistake he did on the game tying goal by Carolina is the kind of pee wee mistakes we see too much of him. I mean you learn that very early. I played defense when i was young and my coaches told me very early to not attempt to block easy shots. Make sure your goalie has a clear view of the puck, get out of the way, clear the front of the net and get the rebound or protect your goalie when he freezes the puck. That's what i've been told all my life. Yet Benn attempted to block a very easy shot and deflected it in his own net. You can clearly see watching the replay he lift his leg and really attempt to block the shot. I know one of my coach when i was around 10 who would have yelled at Benn for 10 minutes after a play kike that.

If you have a very strong top 5 and a contending lineup (in a cap hell situation) and are looking to add a good cheap vet with a good attitude on your 3rd pairing as a 6th dman then he is a viable option. But in our situation where the top 5 is weak we should be looking at more versatile and more reliable 3rd pairing guys. Younger guys who can skate and who avoid doing too much pee wee mistakes. Guys who can handle some top 4 duty if needed here and there. Frankly Benn has been a train wreck every time we asked him to be a top 4 for a significant period of time.

Solid break down! I agree with everything you said and I see it the same way

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Benn have 5 goals 20 pts and he is +16. His he perfect ? No Will he make mistake ? Of course yes and that’s why he is not a top 4 but on a 3rd pair he is fine

For 3rd pairing standards, 5 goals, 20 pts, and a +16 is well above average. This is almost on par with what Sergachev is doing with Tampa this year. A contract year for Benn... he clearly showed up this season and will be looking for a decent contract. Turns 32 in July. Outside chance that some team signs him for 2 or 3 years at $2M AAV (+/-)

I'm not sure what Bergevin will do with Benn. Does he let him walk or does he still value him like he did when he protected him in the expansion draft?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He sucks balls. Pass.

No he doesn't - although if the team had 6 top pairing D you'd still find a way to say a few of them suck. It's easy to say especially when you have absolutely nothing to back up the statement. Benn has been a solid bottom pairing guy this year, statistically and generally.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
For 3rd pairing standards, 5 goals, 20 pts, and a +16 is well above average. This is almost on par with what Sergachev is doing with Tampa this year. A contract year for Benn... he clearly showed up this season and will be looking for a decent contract. Turns 32 in July. Outside chance that some team signs him for 2 or 3 years at $2M AAV (+/-)

I'm not sure what Bergevin will do with Benn. Does he let him walk or does he still value him like he did when he protected him in the expansion draft?

MB will not sign him 3 years even 2 I don’t think he will

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MB will not sign him 3 years even 2 I don’t think he will

Just noticed this is the Romanov thread so maybe we should move this to the Benn thread...

Lets pretend we do not add a top 4D from what we have now.... Do you have confidence in Reilly playing with Juulsen on the 3rd pairing? How about Alzner? Does Benn fit well with Juulsen? I'm not willing to say anything for sure when it comes to Bergevin. I think he does try to sign Benn cause he does love depth. Tricky part is does Benn want to stay with us on a 1 year term when maybe some other team offers him 2 or 3? What does Bergevin do then? :dunno:

Mete / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Reilly / Juulsen

Fleury, Alzner

Or

Mete / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Benn / Juulsen

Alzner, Reilly
* Brook and Fleury in the AHL

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Just noticed this is the Romanov thread so maybe we should move this to the Benn thread...

Lets pretend we do not add a top 4D from what we have now.... Do you have confidence in Reilly playing with Juulsen on the 3rd pairing? How about Alzner? Does Benn fit well with Juulsen? I'm not willing to say anything for sure when it comes to Bergevin. I think he does try to sign Benn cause he does love depth. Tricky part is does Benn want to stay with us on a 1 year term when maybe some other team offers him 2 or 3? What does Bergevin do then? :dunno:

Mete / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Reilly / Juulsen

Fleury, Alzner

Or

Mete / Weber
Kulak / Petry
Benn / Juulsen

Alzner, Reilly
* Brook and Fleury in the AHL

He will add at least 1 D. I would beth what you want that Rielly is not on the line up next year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You lost me when you said you would not be surprised to see Alzner rebound...Alzner plays one way and no way he rebounds with his slow skating and inability to transition the puck

If Benn can rebound, Alzner can rebound. We are talking about basketball right? :sarcasm:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Benn have 5 goals 20 pts and he is +16. His he perfect ? No Will he make mistake ? Of course yes and that’s why he is not a top 4 but on a 3rd pair he is fine

How about at 2-3M on longterm contract?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Not sure but he’s well liked and trusted. He’s a vet and a perfect depth D who can play both sides. Can’t imagine they won’t sign him unless they get out bid.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As others said, Benn on the third pair is a perfect fit for any team. Can play both side, big body, decent first pass, PK guy and is having a good season offensively.

I repeat, you don’t a team full of superstars. Benn is never going to be a superstar or a first pairing guy but he is a useful player on any contender

This board has gone mental. Out here trying to debate that Jordie freaking Benn is good...:facepalm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You misunderstand me. I was being literal. When Mete made it in the lineup, there was literally a hole there with virtually no competition for that spot. One of you might have made the team in those circumstances. Now they have actual players, actually playing in the NHL and some AHL options as well.

So without being snarky or pithy, if you look at the situation now vs then, we literally have more depth than we had in the past. Quality is another conversation but quantity is certainly not an issue as it was.
Point was, it ain't going to be difficult to break into this defensive line up. Why? Because it sucks. Telling me there is Benn, Folin, Reilly doesn't help your case. They're nothing players.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This board has gone mental. Out here trying to debate that Jordie freaking Benn is good...:facepalm:

Jordie Benn is absolutely an NHL level defemceman. He’s not a top pairing D and won’t win a Norris but he’s serviceable and can play on most any teams bottom pairing.

Asserting he isn’t is not a reflection of how smart you are but rather the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad