Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Point was, it ain't going to be difficult to break into this defensive line up. Why? Because it sucks. Telling me there is Benn, Folin, Reilly doesn't help your case. They're nothing players.

Who’s taking whose spot exactly? I enjoy being enlightened.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Jordie Benn is absolutely an NHL level defemceman. He’s not a top pairing D and won’t win a Norris but he’s serviceable and can play on most any teams bottom pairing.

Asserting he isn’t is not a reflection of how smart you are but rather the opposite.
Sure, he can play on the bottom pair...most #6Ds in the NHL suck.

I just read how Jordie Benn has a good first pass. :facepalm:

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No he doesn't - although if the team had 6 top pairing D you'd still find a way to say a few of them suck. It's easy to say especially when you have absolutely nothing to back up the statement. Benn has been a solid bottom pairing guy this year, statistically and generally.
He sucks. Having a ''good'' season doesn't remove the fact, he sucks. He's a nothing player. He makes no difference.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I haven’t read anyone say Benn is anything but what I said he was in my last post. I think you’re reading into others posts what you want to see.

He won’t be here for at least another year as he’s under contract in the KHL. Please go on...
You seem confused as to what started this discussion.
You claimed it would be tough to make this line up. I said not on defense. You listed our roster as if that was an argument of how strong it is. Here's your post:
Mete Weber
Kulak Petry
Benn Folin
Reilly Juulsen

That’s not including any newly acquired D which would be difficult to see us not getting. That’s not stacked but certainly no current holes in the lineup for a prospect to take. He’d have to beat out a player and earn it at this point.

So ya, that line up is garbage. Then you side stepped saying ''I was being literal regarding no holes''...as in...we have 7 Dman in the NHL already. So what? It still sucks. Having to ''beat out'' Folin or Reilly or Benn...how difficult.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You seem confused as to what started this discussion.
You claimed it would be tough to make this line up. I said not on defense. You listed our roster as if that was an argument of how strong it is. Here's your post:

So ya, that line up is garbage. Then you side stepped saying ''I was being literal regarding no holes''...as in...we have 7 Dman in the NHL already. So what? It still sucks. Having to ''beat out'' Folin or Reilly or Benn...how difficult.

No. You’re confused about what started this discussion. I said it would be difficult for one of our PROSPECTS to make this lineup. All you’ve given me is a name of one D who’s under a KHL contract until 2021.

So there’s that and you still haven’t said what prospect is going to beat out which player next year to make the team. I’ll wait...

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No. You’re confused about what started this discussion. I said it would be difficult for one of our PROSPECTS to make this lineup. All you’ve given me is a name of one D who’s under a KHL contract until 2021.

So there’s that and you still haven’t said what prospect is going to beat out which player next year to make the team. I’ll wait...
We'll have to wait for camp to see. And again, nothing difficult in beating out some of the names you listed. Stop postering up like a child, our defense group sucks. If none of our kids make the team its because they ain't ready, not because they cant outplay Jordie freaking Benn.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Hate to say it but he have a point. I don’t think Romanov should be in the NHL but Habs defense is not tough to make. Kulak and Follin where on the waivers an nobody took them and they make the line up even if they are doing well
That was my point. Our defense sucks. Nothing hard about making our group.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Barring any trades, Montreal is going into next year with:

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Juulsen
Benn - Fleury
Folin

Kulak: 3 years at 1.8M AAV
Benn: 2 years at 2M AAV
Folin: 1 year at 950k

With Juulsen healthy (as per recent reports), and Fleury pushing upwards on the right side, the Habs are likely to trade away Petry after his remarkable season (at the draft).

Then the following season you'd have Brook pushing for a spot on the Right, and both Romanov and Walford pushing for spots on the left.

Gotta remember, Bergevin always prefers to go in a season with 8 NHL-level defensemen, knowing full well 1 or 2 will be lost in the shuffle/waivers/minors.

Next year they'll go in with Weber, Mete, and Juulsen as their top 3. Then a mix of Kulak, Benn, Fleury, one of Folin or Reilly (prob Folin), and either a UFA signing or a second chance awarded to the injured Olofsson.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Juulsen
Benn - Fleury
Folin

With Juulsen healthy (as per recent reports), and Fleury pushing upwards on the right side, the Habs are likely to trade away Petry after his remarkable season (at the draft).

Then the following season you'd have Brook pushing for a spot on the Right, and both Romanov and Walford pushing for spots on the left.

Gotta remember, Bergevin always prefers to go in a season with 8 NHL-level defensemen, knowing full well 1 or 2 will be lost in the shuffle/waivers/minors.

Next year they'll go in with Weber, Mete, and Juulsen as their top 3. Then a mix of Kulak, Benn, Fleury, one of Folin or Reilly (prob Folin), and either a UFA signing or a second chance awarded to the injured Olofsson.

what did you do with Petry?

I don't see Kulak getting 3 years, no way.

I don't think Fleury is ready to be a full timer next year

That blueline would be brutal.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Juulsen
Benn - Fleury
Folin

That's a significant downgrade from this years defense. I see MB adding after this year as opposed to selling. Also 15 teams we cant trade him to so i don't see it happening next year. Deadline 20/21 is much more likely imo. In you're scenario is Petry moved in a hockey trade or for futures?

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Trading Weber is a good move if we get the return we want. However, he is our captain and I don't believe they do it. Not with Bergevin as our GM. I think that talk might happen if we have a set back year next year but if we continue to be a fringe wild card team in the next two seasons, Weber is here to stay. Not sure what happens in the expansion draft cause he will be 36 and 37 in the two seasons after.

Romanov with Brook down the road does appear to be a fit for our potential top pairing. Without Weber, I see it this way...

Romanov / Brook
???? / Petry
Mete / Juulsen

Fleury
Very much agreed, I honestly don't want to see Weber go. Especially not next year, but if possibly getting a legit 2nd pairing LD for him when the time comes I would say yes.
Our D does not look disappointing in the least moving forward but I do thing a top pairing LD is needed via trade. Id pass on Gardiner FA and who knows what happens draft wise this year. Also Mete in my mind has solidified himself as a top 4 D in this league. One of our smartest, and new NHL he will thrive

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We'll have to wait for camp to see. And again, nothing difficult in beating out some of the names you listed. Stop postering up like a child, our defense group sucks. If none of our kids make the team its because they ain't ready, not because they cant outplay Jordie freaking Benn.

What’s the difference between the two? Either one results in them not making the team and my post being spot on accurate. Bergevin won’t be rushing to Waldorf, Tyzska or Harris into the lineup to displace Mete, Kulak or Benn. Or Fleury, Brook taking out Weber, Petry or Juulsen. Up front is a different story but again, some prospect would have to take out a player or play in a depth role which isn’t ideal as they should play more minutes in the A and dominate.

So I guess, thanks for agreeing with me...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What’s the difference between the two? Either one results in them not making the team and my post being spot on accurate. Bergevin won’t be rushing to Waldorf, Tyzska or Harris into the lineup to displace Mete, Kulak or Benn. Or Fleury, Brook taking out Weber, Petry or Juulsen. Up front is a different story but again, some prospect would have to take out a player or play in a depth role which isn’t ideal as they should play more minutes in the A and dominate.

So I guess, thanks for agreeing with me...
You're not on for shit.
The fact we have Mete on the top proves my point, not yours. This D group is terrible. So desperate for half decent talent that we have a guy who cant score to save his life and is what...19? 20? to play on the top pair, possibly even hindering his development.

You're here arguing it will be tough to beat out Benn or whoever else is on the bottom pair...:biglaugh:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You're not on for ****.
The fact we have Mete on the top proves my point, not yours. This D group is terrible. So desperate for half decent talent that we have a guy who cant score to save his life and is what...19? 20? to play on the top pair, possibly even hindering his development.

You're here arguing it will be tough to beat out Benn or whoever else is on the bottom pair...:biglaugh:

The sweet, sweet irony of your posts that continue to make to look like a fool is that you still can’t name a single prospect who can unseat a single one of our presumably garbage D. Not one. In doing so, you’re in fact proving my point. That fact you don’t see that is the hilarious part of your posts. Not your self projecting emojis.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The sweet, sweet irony of your posts that continue to make to look like a fool is that you still can’t name a single prospect who can unseat a single one of our presumably garbage D. Not one. In doing so, you’re in fact proving my point. That fact you don’t see that is the hilarious part of your posts. Not your self projecting emojis.

Kinda tough to name prospects when you list Juulsen in your top 8 NHL group as if he's been a regular NHLer and no longer a prospect himself..:biglaugh:
I don't know what prospect is going to make this team. I have barely seen any of them play, are Brook/Fleury ready? I don't f***ing know, and I doubt you do.

All I said was that our defensive group is terrible, which it is, therefore making it shouldn't be difficult.
Also, often times, prospects are kept in lower league to keep developing on some aspects, not because they can't outplay your bottom liners, so it has nothing to do with beating out some of your roster players.
Some other times, your team is so bad, they decide to retain players even if they really shouldn't, like for Mete.

BTW, you also previously stated how you were being ''literal'' in that there will be no holes on defense, yet, we only have 3 Dmen that are under contract for next year as of right now. Benn and Folin are set to be UFAs, Kulak and Reilly are RFAs.
So even your theory that we have no room is also wrong, unless there are extensions that capfriendly have not updated on their site.

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Kinda tough to name prospects when you list Juulsen in your top 8 NHL group as if he's been a regular NHLer and no longer a prospect himself..:biglaugh:
I don't know what prospect is going to make this team. I have barely seen any of them play, are Brook/Fleury ready? I don't ****ing know, and I doubt you do.

All I said was that our defensive group is terrible, which it is, therefore making it shouldn't be difficult.
Also, often times, prospects are kept in lower league to keep developing on some aspects, not because they can't outplay your bottom liners, so it has nothing to do with beating out some of your roster players.
Some other times, your team is so bad, they decide to retain players even if they really shouldn't, like for Mete.

BTW, you also previously stated how you were being ''literal'' in that there will be no holes on defense, yet, we only have 3 Dmen that are under contract for next year as of right now. Benn and Folin are set to be UFAs, Kulak and Reilly are RFAs.
So even your theory that we have no room is also wrong, unless there are extensions that capfriendly have not updated on their site.

If we take our 3 LD combined, they have 46 pts. That’s the production of Petry .... We have BIG holes on LD

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't know what prospect is going to make this team. I have barely seen any of them play, are Brook/Fleury ready? I don't ****ing know, and I doubt you do.

You interjected into my posts and input your POV into it and tried to tie my post to your conclusion. Simple fact of the matter is that everything I said still stands and your ignorance on the matter isn't a defense. Compounding your ignorance is that you make a point based on something you admit you know nothing of and act as if it's factual. That's the height of ignorance and hubris which makes your posts all the more dumb compounded by the added emojis to try and mask the fact you clearly, and admittedly don't to know what you're talking about.

So go and rage on about how terrible our D is but continue to think how easy it will be for some unicorn prospect is going to replace any of them anytime soon without actually knowing anything about them. Cheers ;)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If we take our 3 LD combined, they have 46 pts. That’s the production of Petry .... We have BIG holes on LD

No one is arguing we have a complete D and it doesn't need work. It's that the short term answer doesn't lie with the prospects. hence why this arguement is happening in a prospects thread (Romanov) and not in the Off Season/Trade thread.

We need help on D for sure but we'll get that via trade or UFA, not our prospects.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure but he’s well liked and trusted. He’s a vet and a perfect depth D who can play both sides. Can’t imagine they won’t sign him unless they get out bid.

I think it comes down to how much he wants. I think other teams will be interested but do they over commit? Doubt it. Bergevin will try to bring him back... he does like depth and Benn fits! Unless, Bergevin is able to sign one of the impact UFA's and the cap space is tight. No big deal if we lose Benn but who replaces him? Alzner or Fleury on the 3rd pairing RD side?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think it comes down to how much he wants. I think other teams will be interested but do they over commit? Doubt it. Bergevin will try to bring him back... he does like depth and Benn fits! Unless, Bergevin is able to sign one of the impact UFA's and the cap space is tight. No big deal if we lose Benn but who replaces him? Alzner or Fleury on the 3rd pairing RD side?

Completely agree which is what I said. Unless a team comes in like they did with Weise, I can't imagine he won't be back.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really, no.

I believe you are. Benn is have a very solid season. Saying he is a "complete non factor" is exaggeration. His stats this season are very close to the promise boy in Sergachev. Both have played a lot of 3rd pairing minutes too.

giphy.gif

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You interjected into my posts and input your POV into it and tried to tie my post to your conclusion. Simple fact of the matter is that everything I said still stands and your ignorance on the matter isn't a defense. Compounding your ignorance is that you make a point based on something you admit you know nothing of and act as if it's factual. That's the height of ignorance and hubris which makes your posts all the more dumb compounded by the added emojis to try and mask the fact you clearly, and admittedly don't to know what you're talking about.

So go and rage on about how terrible our D is but continue to think how easy it will be for some unicorn prospect is going to replace any of them anytime soon without actually knowing anything about them. Cheers ;)

I know nothing about our prospects in terms of how ready they are, but I know plenty about our current defensive group and as it stands, they suck balls. I never claimed our prospects would swoop in to takeover, I said it shouldn't be difficult considering how bad our group is.

Furthermore, you're in no position to talk about ignorance when you claimed there would be no holes available to fill on this defense next year when Benn and Folin are both UFAs. As it stands, they're goners. So even if you want to be technical as you previously attempted, well we will have no choice to add prospects to the group unless we sign players. So there goes your pathetic theory. Ya...cheers mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad