Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He had a rough start last year for sure but he was much better the second half. I always thought you guys were whining about nothing over Jordie Benn - he's a good enough 4-6 dman and he's got a lot of jam.

For one he's not a good enough 4thg dman imo unless your top 3 is like top 5 in league. 5th or 6th he's okay but he definitely lack consistency specially on the physical side. He reminds me a 3rd pairing version of pre 2017 Jeff Petry. Some nights he looks like one of the best 3rd pairing guy in the league. Then the night after he'll look like a guy you can replace by any decent AHLers.

But he's not been using as such for a big part of last season and this season too. That's what people are whining about for the most part. Anybody got the number of games he played in the top 4? I know in the playoffs of 2017 he finished the series in the top 4 and it was not pretty. SOmehow this management still think they got the top 4 LHD they were looking for to replace Beaulieu.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lots of accolades on Benn's play of late, in this thread.

Is that enough for you to extend him or do you move him for whatever you can get at the TDL?

He's on an expiring contract and is easily replaceable. I'd be looking to sell him to the highest bidder.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

Is that enough for you to extend him or do you move him for whatever you can get at the TDL?

He's on an expiring contract and is easily replaceable. I'd be looking to sell him to the highest bidder.

Yeah he should be dealt. The real question is what are we gonna get for him? I can't see us getting a 2nd for him. So im good with a 3rd or 4th.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

If habs really like him they should sign him on July 1st but he's expendable enough to trade and take risk of losing him.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

The Habs could also not trade and not re-sign, which would be my favorite unless the Habs could re-sign him fairly cheap, which I think is unlikely.

If the Habs fall out of the playoffs then I would want to deal him - provided again that the Habs can't re-sign him cheap.

So I would like them to :

1 - re-sign him to a cheap deal
2 - if 1 is not possible, ride him out for the playoffs push
3 - if 2 seems unlikely, trade him at the TDL

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
For one he's not a good enough 4thg dman imo unless your top 3 is like top 5 in league. 5th or 6th he's okay but he definitely lack consistency specially on the physical side. He reminds me a 3rd pairing version of pre 2017 Jeff Petry. Some nights he looks like one of the best 3rd pairing guy in the league. Then the night after he'll look like a guy you can replace by any decent AHLers.

But he's not been using as such for a big part of last season and this season too. That's what people are whining about for the most part. Anybody got the number of games he played in the top 4? I know in the playoffs of 2017 he finished the series in the top 4 and it was not pretty. SOmehow this management still think they got the top 4 LHD they were looking for to replace Beaulieu.
Obviously he's better suited to a 5/6 role but he can fill in on a top 4 position, which makes him a bit more valuable because some dmen can absolutely not do that.

If the Habs decide to trade him I would guess a lot of gms will be interested after the big dogs are traded because:

He's a proven vet
Can play both sides
Has good jam
Can fill in on the top 4
On a cheap contract
Likeable locker room guy
Despite your claims to the contrary, I thought he held himself well during the 2017 playoffs and Don Cherry was raving about him so perhaps you just don't like beards.

PS - Beaulieu? Habs did well to trade him. I don't think Beaulieu has anything to do with Benn, and management seem to see Benn exactly for what he is - a 5/6 who can fill in on your top 4.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'm absolutely fine with him as long as he's on the bottom pairing. He's been effective in that role.

When he's been moved up he's an absolute disaster.
Pretty much.

I think we all liked Benn when we first traded for him. He and Beaulieu were a solid third pairing for the team.

I'm sure he'll be traded by the deadline and expect to get a mid-round draft pick for him.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I would trade him along a player like Shaw or Lekhonen to get a real third or fourth defenseman.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

He's an upcoming UFA and plays at a position where we have Weber/Petry eating a ton of minutes in front of him, as rental D are always in high demand it is a no brainer to trade him at the deadline.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007

I don't know. I put value on players that know their roles.

Benn knows exactly where he stands and what he has to do. If the offer is decent sure, but I wouldn't want to trade him at all cost.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He sucks. If the objective is to improve, get rid of him.

Have to think he's as good as gone. Pending UFA's don't go past the deadline. MB has the tendency to trade those players. Particularly the ones not part of the future plans. The only question is if they'll wait until they're closer to the TDL or make one sooner.

One of the things I liked hearing in his presser last week was that he's not opposed to trading a vet for the long term health of the club. He's not having any delusions despite them being in the playoff picture. I hope those words don't ring hollow at TDL.

Benn won't bring in anything significant. But the way he's been playing the last few weeks has surely raised his value. Where he would have probably brought in a 4th or 5th, I can see him bring in a 3rd now.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Contract year. He's showing up and we have him finally playing in the right spot on the 3rd pairing.

Catch 22... if he keeps playing better, Bergevin might look at re-signing him or trying to keep him. If he shows inconsistency, Bergevin looks to move him as pending UFA and maybe we get a 4th?

Not sure anybody gives us a 3rd but possible. Not sure how the depth D pending UFA prices unfold at this year's deadline.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Have to think he's as good as gone. Pending UFA's don't go past the deadline. MB has the tendency to trade those players. Particularly the ones not part of the future plans. The only question is if they'll wait until they're closer to the TDL or make one sooner.

One of the things I liked hearing in his presser last week was that he's not opposed to trading a vet for the long term health of the club. He's not having any delusions despite them being in the playoff picture. I hope those words don't ring hollow at TDL.

Benn won't bring in anything significant. But the way he's been playing the last few weeks has surely raised his value. Where he would have probably brought in a 4th or 5th, I can see him bring in a 3rd now.

Bergevin also has a tendency to bring in useless UFA plugs at the deadline like King and Ott. So..he might just hold onto to his Benn.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I'd trade him only on two conditions.
1) We have someone who can effectively take over his role. Right now we don't
2) Juulsen or Fleury might be able to step in next year so I'd trade him in the offseason and not before. So that would mean signing him and then trading him sometime next year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bergevin also has a tendency to bring in useless UFA plugs at the deadline like King and Ott. So..he might just hold onto to his Benn.

He did that once. Not every season. Other deadline acquisitions include Vanek and Petry. I wouldn't put those two as a tendency to bring in useless UFA plugs.

King was a bad one. Ott first a 6th round pick, didn't mind that one. The difference though is the context they're in. When MB made those moves, he was in the rental business. He admitted he's not this season. It remains to be seen if he sticks to that mindset.

But I think that the moves you mentioned and his past errors to try and fast track the team into a contender and failing to do so may be what encourages management to go slow and steady this time around.

I would be extremely surprised if Benn is still a Hab past the deadline.

Reactions: jaffy27

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He did that once. Not every season. Other deadline acquisitions include Vanek and Petry. I wouldn't put those two as a tendency to bring in useless UFA plugs.

King was a bad one. Ott first a 6th round pick, didn't mind that one. The difference though is the context they're in. When MB made those moves, he was in the rental business. He admitted he's not this season. It remains to be seen if he sticks to that mindset.

But I think that the moves you mentioned and his past errors to try and fast track the team into a contender and failing to do so may be what encourages management to go slow and steady this time around.

He also brought in David Drewiske another season..how can you forget man?
And he got the man in question, Jordie Benn, as a deadline acquisition too. Nesterov? Stefan Matteau? Brian Flynn?

It's not just King and Ott mate. Bergevin loves to get some cheap depth. The problem is he thinks depth for the sake of it is good. He forgets that talented depth is what matters.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I am convinced Bergevin didn't see Petry as a pure rental when he got him. I think he saw it as a calculated gamble, that he thought there was a good chance that he could resign Petry.

He said in a post conference interview that if he could get a good UFA at a pretty good price AND that he thought he had a really good sign of resigning, he would do it. The Petry acquisition (like the original Radulov signing and the Skinner trade this summer) isn't something that comes along every day/year. A really good player that is undervalued by the rest of GMs and there fore available for a bargain bin price. It's too bad Bergevin didn't offer Radulov a contract he couldn't refuse, and get Skinner this summer.

Hoffman and Evander Kane are other players that come to mind. Although kane may prove that he isn't that good and Hoffman had serious character question marks.

Hopefully another good player will fall into his lap again and he won't botch it. But I don't see any yet. It's got to be someone who's undervalued by the rest of the league. Tarasenko's value may get there, but it's not there yet.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
He sucks ? Some people haven’t been watching the games. The guy has been playing good.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Seems motivated to play for that next contract which may be his last depending on term. Therefore, I would move him. Once he signs that extra motivation is gone. Trade him at deadline if truly rebuilding, retooling or resetting or whatever is the Habs are doing. If in "anything can happen in the playoffs" mode then I fear he stays. Would rather give the experience to a youngster.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Seems motivated to play for that next contract which may be his last depending on term. Therefore, I would move him. Once he signs that extra motivation is gone. Trade him at deadline if truly rebuilding, retooling or resetting or whatever is the Habs are doing. If in "anything can happen in the playoffs" mode then I fear he stays. Would rather give the experience to a youngster.

Benn will probably get a bunch of 1 year deals, like Roman Polak.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I like this post 4x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->