Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal (F) traded to Arizona for a 2019 6th round pick and Jacob Graves (D)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
In other news of a similar impact, the Tampa Bay Rays just re-signed southpaw Chaz Roe, avoiding arbitration.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
According to the main boards, AZ has 3 of their 4 centers hurt. So this is just to fill a hole for now.

tenor.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Weal blows less at the NHL level than Varone or Lehtera.

I'm not saying he was worth more than a 6th right now given his contract, but Phil Myers can't get a roster spot on this team. It doesn't make him a bad prospect. It means management prefer to play MacDonald and Folin.

Good point, but the situations are a bit different. Myers is a prospect that has never had his shot. Weal is a finished product that has gotten into games and not done enough to stay in the lineup.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Weal has been better than Patrick at, well just about everything ... scoring, shot creation, Corsi, defense, faceoffs.

I'm not using this to trash Patrick, just pointing out that Patrick has basically produced at 4C levels this year and people just expect that he should be holding 2C next year and competing against Brayden Point and Evgeni Malkin.

Compared to a guy who has played reasonably well, in terms of expectations and team context, who no one cares about at all.

I think Weal would be a fine 4C for a good team. I could see Tampa going after him as a cheap option while their try to get everyone under cap.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I liked Weal with the puck through the neutral zone and of course his play when he first came up and was always around the net. He was probably around the net that spring more than he has been in the year and a half since his extension.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Good point, but the situations are a bit different. Myers is a prospect that has never had his shot. Weal is a finished product that has gotten into games and not done enough to stay in the lineup.

It doesn't make sense to rip Hakstol and Hextall for anything and everything under the sun, then use their opinions as evidence of being right.

Take Lindblom if you prefer. You're talking about a ~50 Game difference as Flyers and Weal scores at a higher rate.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Jordan Weal us not an NHL player....anyone who thinks he is.....should seek a rehab.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It doesn't make sense to rip Hakstol and Hextall for anything and everything under the sun, then use their opinions as evidence of being right.

Take Lindblom if you prefer. You're talking about a ~50 Game difference as Flyers and Weal scores at a higher rate.

This has nothing to do with Hak and Hexy. I'm just going off of my opinion based on watching him play. He's not a loss for this team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So...what's the point? The 6th round pick is unlikely to end up hitting Weal's level.

Or is this just recognizing that Weal doesn't have a future here with better talent in the pipeline and doing him a favor by sending him to an NHL team that is more likely to play him rather than stashing him in the AHL?

Exactly this. He's not getting extended and they won't use him much the rest of this season, so give him a chance to go play somewhere else and keep his career alive. This gives him a shot at earning an NHL contract for next season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Weal has been better than Patrick at, well just about everything ... scoring, shot creation, Corsi, defense, faceoffs.

I'm not using this to trash Patrick, just pointing out that Patrick has basically produced at 4C levels this year and people just expect that he should be holding 2C next year and competing against Brayden Point and Evgeni Malkin.

Compared to a guy who has played reasonably well, in terms of expectations and team context, who no one cares about at all.

I think Weal would be a fine 4C for a good team. I could see Tampa going after him as a cheap option while their try to get everyone under cap.
Huh?

Weal has 9 points. Patrick 11. Patrick has more goals too.

How is that better at scoring?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

@Striiker rejoice. @Jtown weeps.

Honestly, few contenders would be out there saying "we need a Weal type guy for the playoff run". This is fine although I thought it would be 4th or 5th. Add more picks for guys who have no future next year with us. Keep the pipeline stocked.

Wonder who is next.

has @Striiker stopped w.anking to the trade update on his phone yet? he's been suspiciously awol.

giphy.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
First reaction about the return is that we got more for worse players (Rinaldo, Cousins, McGinn, Marody), but I guess the fact that he's older, has less/no room to grow, and wasn't even playing this year hurts his value.

Hopefully that's why and not that Fletcher is a worse negotiator than Hextall. We'll see when we get to the bigger trades.

Until then, I'm just happy he traded him away instead of just letting him rot and losing him for nothing. More importantly, this opens up a contract space and could lead to someone coming up. Weal was garbage at everything other than puck possession, so it'd good we're done with him. Speaking of Weal being garbage... I was sooo right about him being a lucky fluke in his first year. Come at me bros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad