Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal (F) traded to Arizona for a 2019 6th round pick and Jacob Graves (D)

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Ironically Weal probably would have been an ideal 4th line player for the Flyers but they refused to put him in that role for any period of time. Statistically he's good in the defensive zone, great in the neutral zone, just mediocre in the offensive zone.
I agree with this, could have used him on the fourth line. This team lacks speed and Weal was speedy. It’s not a huge loss in the big scheme of things.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I agree with this, could have used him on the fourth line. This team lacks speed and Weal was speedy. It’s not a huge loss in the big scheme of things.
Unfortunately he didn’t use his speed consistently. I forgot he had speed until a couple flashes a few games ago.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I believe too that he has more value than Weal. But only because a lot of GMs are stupid.

But objectively, Weal was/is better than Simmonds in last 2 seasons. No doubt.

rajaampat

Jan 11, 2019
Do you think Comcast is trimming the losses this last half of season year incrementally eliminating/reducing player salary that doesnt affect ticket sales..Bean counters affecting decisions......

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
should have got a 6th just for taking the echl player contract. i'm guessing they will take andy or horseface in a later move to compensate us later.

Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do people think Weal had real value?
He has 36 ES points in 124 NHL games, that 24 points for a full season, below average for a 3C.
He is undersized, has average speed though good quickness.
He is an below average defensive player. So a bad fit on an 4th line/energy line.
He turns 27 in April.

Advanced metrics love Weal, but those are predictive metrics, when the prediction doesn't come true, they have less value.
The hope was he'd produce up to his metrics, which should be a 30-35 ES point 3C. That never materialized.
At some point you realize that he's good at possession, but not closing the deal, and at his age, that's unlikely to change.

We got a 5th rd pick for a full season of Cousins at age 24 (but through in Madsen).
So a 6th for half a season of Weal seems reasonable.

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
I would have rather kept him and used him as an add-in player as a part of a bigger deal. He might have his flaws, but he is exactly the type of player that is used to "sweeten" the pot so to speak. If he can be added to change the draft pick we trade from a 3rd to a 4th, for example, that seems more valuable than having an extra 6th round pick.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
I would have rather kept him and used him as an add-in player as a part of a bigger deal. He might have his flaws, but he is exactly the type of player that is used to "sweeten" the pot so to speak. If he can be added to change the draft pick we trade from a 3rd to a 4th, for example, that seems more valuable than having an extra 6th round pick.

Does crap really sweeten anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->