Confirmed with Link: Jordan Weal (F) traded to Arizona for a 2019 6th round pick and Jacob Graves (D)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Never understood why we had Jordan freakin Weal to begin with........

Jordan Weal

25 goals - 30 assists, 55 points. He's going to fill Schenn's shoes in terms of offensive production. He might not get PP1 power play time, but he'll get quite a bit of even strength time and with his chemistry with Simmonds, he's going to get a lot of rebound/garbage goals and numerous secondary assists. I expect that those two will start the season with Giroux as their center.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This is very reminiscent of the trade with Cousins. Cousins was in that fringe NHL territory, but he showed enough at times to make you think he could have some good years as a bottom 6/4th liner somewhere. And he's done quite well in Arizona. Jordan Weal seems like a good guy and hard worker (every coach has raved about it), so hopefully he can do enough to cash an NHL paycheck there or elsewhere for a few more years.

His underlying stats pegs him as a sneaky underrated player. The eye test says he does a lot well in nifty passes or entries, but there's more flash than substance to his scoring effects, and he leaves something to be desired with turnovers and a perimeter game. I'm somewhere in between, and don't really care that he's gone, even if I thought he'd pull a 5th or something. If you're not tethered to the idea he's top 6 or bust (which is meh anyway), it's worth a shot for a bottom end team.

If this is a signal that someone gets called up, I'm all for it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Only difference was Cousins was traded right before the ED. Hextall may have kept him as depth without that impetus.

After 16-17 almost everyone wanted Weal signed because he had 12 points in 23 games. Some people were even trashing Hextall in advance of the Flyers possibly losing such a good, young asset to free agency. But now after scoring 9 points in 28 games, he's considered basically worthless.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
1hn1ah.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weal blows less at the NHL level than Varone or Lehtera.

Why does anyone think this guy was worth more than a 6th?

He couldn't secure a roster spot on one of the worst teams in the league :laugh:

I'm not saying he was worth more than a 6th right now given his contract, but Phil Myers can't get a roster spot on this team. It doesn't make him a bad prospect. It means management prefer to play MacDonald and Folin.

Weal is better than Varone, but Varone wouldn't get you anything.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
AHL/ECHL defenseman.

Smoke to Myers getting called up?

That's how I see it, RHD AHL D-man is a replacement for Myers/Friedman at some point.

6th rd pick was a little low, Cousins got a 5th, but with half the season gone and Weal having to be resigned, that probably explains the discount.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad