Player Discussion Jordan Harris part 2

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't think we are trading Harris this season or even next season. He's playing some very decent hockey even on that right side. I think the thing to watch out for in his case is probably fatigue he does take a licking. Regardless of what happens next season he is too valuable a piece to move for peanuts.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
For a contending team, kovacevic is no more than a 3rd pair guy.

I'd consider a 2nd rounder for him to be a steal. KH makes that move in a heartbeat.
Kovacevic is no more than a 3rd pair on a weak team. If someone is foolish enough to offer a 2nd for Kovacevic, you don't hesitate. Harris, on the other hand, is quite a different story.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
You can find Harris type defenders fairly easily in the league, not the Xhekaj type, that's why Harris will be traded, don't believe me, just wait and see.
Maybe. But if he is traded I suspect the return will be more substantial than many suspect. The goal he scored against Dallas provided a glimpse of this young players upside if he’s given a chance. Paired with Struble, they are now the equal of Guhle and Barron.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Maybe. But if he is traded I suspect the return will be more substantial than many suspect. The goal he scored against Dallas provided a glimpse of this young players upside if he’s given a chance. Paired with Struble, they are now the equal of Guhle and Barron.
I find myself looking to see if they are on the ice with our top line because we are generally heading in the right direction when they are.
Just in case that counts for anything.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I find myself looking to see if they are on the ice with our top line because we are generally heading in the right direction when they are.
Just in case that counts for anything.
Well observed.

They both move the puck quickly and efficiently either by skating the puck out of danger or by passing it. Both Struble and Harris have enough mobility to interdict opposing forwards on the rush; interfere with dangerous passing lanes and avoid forecheckers to gain the time and space to either carry the puck themselves or pass the puck to forwards. Their play allows effective counter-attacks. They bring the mobility and smarts needed in today’s quicker game.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
It's like choosing Souray over Markov, some people rave about toughness. Harris is not overphysical but plays the puck well. Xhekaj is all about slapshot, fighting and taking bad penalties.
He's improving on the penalties, that's why he's in Laval, Harris is far from Markov, we will have Hutson for this, even Hutson is turning into a fighting beast 🤣.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
He's improving on the penalties, that's why he's in Laval, Harris is far from Markov, we will have Hutson for this, even Hutson is turning into a fighting beast 🤣.
If anyone in the pipeline is as good as Markov, I'll be gladly surprised. For Xhekaj, I think bad penalties is a sign that he's not able to follow the pace. He's an interesting prospect, but not there yet neither. Hutson gooning his way to NHL is one scenario we didn't expect 😂

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Kovacevic is no more than a 3rd pair on a weak team. If someone is foolish enough to offer a 2nd for Kovacevic, you don't hesitate. Harris, on the other hand, is quite a different story.
I think Kovacevic has a high floor and could be a third pairing guy on a stronger team. But I agree with the sentiment regarding him and harris, who I was writing off as a better Mete. Harris could still be expendable despite being good, but its more and more looking like Kovacevic might be the one on the outside.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I’m not saying Xhekaj won’t play a role, even an important one, for the Canadiens. But that role should not limit the value of the contributions that a smart, mobile and competitive defenceman like Harris can provide.

I have said it here for more than twenty years: you trade or pass on a player with skating ability and mobility at your franchises’ peril.

I seriously doubt that Hughes will be giving away Harris for a pittance.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I’m not saying Xhekaj won’t play a role, even an important one, for the Canadiens. But that role should not limit the value of the contributions that a smart, mobile and competitive defenceman like Harris can provide.

I have said it here for more than twenty years: you trade or pass on a player with skating ability and mobility at your franchises’ peril.

I seriously doubt that Hughes will be giving away Harris for a pittance.
The best possible scenario is that Harris plays and he plays very well.
Many of us believe we will have to give up something significant if we hope to land a star forward.
Harris can be part of that package if we decide to eventually move him.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I doubt we see him again this year. Brutal ending to a difficult season. Hopefully he's gonna be alright.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Main difference is that Harris is young enough to make progress. In the case of Kova it's unlikely. There's a few cases of guys making progress past 26 but they are exception and a GM should not make plan considering that. Harris being 23 it's not foolish to expect him to make some progress in the next 2 years. Personally i would not give up on Harris now. The best we'll get in a 2nd round pick (or equivalent value). It just doesn't make sense to risk it for such a return.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Main difference is that Harris is young enough to make progress. In the case of Kova it's unlikely. There's a few cases of guys making progress past 26 but they are exception and a GM should not make plan considering that. Harris being 23 it's not foolish to expect him to make some progress in the next 2 years. Personally i would not give up on Harris now. The best we'll get in a 2nd round pick (or equivalent value). It just doesn't make sense to risk it for such a return.
You wisely preach patience. In today's world, how many of us, in any field of endeavor, whether personal or professionally, can exercise that discipline?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad