Player Discussion Jordan Harris part 2

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
First thread hit 1000 posts.

I believe when we do sign him it'll likely be in and around the Trade Deadline (March 21-25).

There will still be a full month of the schedule left, so lots of time to come in and get comfortable.

Then, hopefully, to Laval for a play-off run.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Assuming Chariot, Petry, Wideman, Kulak traded at the tdl, I could see us using these pairings for the rest of the season:

Romanov - Savard
Harris - Clague
Schueneman - Niku

Reactions: Canadienna

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Assuming Chariot, Petry, Wideman, Kulak traded at the tdl, I could see us using these pairings for the rest of the season:

Romanov - Savard
Harris - Clague
Schueneman - Niku

I think there has to be a FA signing or two on the back end in the summer if we move those guys out.

I don't think Hughes would just roll that D going into next year.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Referring to an earlier post you can like the result of the cup run and still not admire the process that led to it. Gorton and Hughes appear to understand this and appreciate having good processes. With luck one of those processes will be to sign Harris or get value in trade.

I'd expect now that it's a true rebuild it would be a better option for older prospects. Young ones shouldn't be rushed, but guys like Harris can get the minutes, too. No point in benching young guys for minor errors during a rebuild like Martin/Therrien/Julien used to.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I believe when we do sign him it'll likely be in and around the Trade Deadline (March 21-25)

That all depends on if NU makes the NCAA tournament or not as it starts on March 24th for some and the 25th for the rest. Right now they are on the outside looking in. They have 7 games left before the HE playoffs start on the 9th with seeds 6th through 11th. This weekends series vs BC is huge as BC has struggled this year so NU badly needs to sweep. They have a make up game vs one of the worst teams in the NCAA in Vermont but the 2 series vs UConn and a surprising Merrimack team will be the test as the 3 teams are neck and neck in the standings.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That all depends on if NU makes the NCAA tournament or not as it starts on March 24th for some and the 25th for the rest. Right now they are on the outside looking in. They have 7 games left before the HE playoffs start on the 9th with seeds 6th through 11th. This weekends series vs BC is huge as BC has struggled this year so NU badly needs to sweep. They have a make up game vs one of the worst teams in the NCAA in Vermont but the 2 series vs UConn and a surprising Merrimack team will be the test as the 3 teams are neck and neck in the standings.

I figured they weren't going to make it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I figured they weren't going to make it.

they are tied for 17th in the pairwise, so 1 spot out but some teams in front of them have only 2 games left in the regular season (Dobes, not sure about any others) so we'll see as NU was in a good spot to make it but the last few weeks have seen them drop. We'll see how far Team Canada goes, as getting Levi back in nets would be huge.

They could go either way, they struggle so much to score goals but with Levi and that blueline they are real tough to score on most nights.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'd really like to see him sign, and then assuming he earns his spot out of camp, see him line up with Savard on the 3rd pairing to start next season...

that seems like a pairing that could work well both style-wise, and give Harris an expensive but solid & experienced vet to skate with as he adjusts to the NHL game.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
they are tied for 17th in the pairwise, so 1 spot out but some teams in front of them have only 2 games left in the regular season (Dobes, not sure about any others) so we'll see as NU was in a good spot to make it but the last few weeks have seen them drop. We'll see how far Team Canada goes, as getting Levi back in nets would be huge.

They could go either way, they struggle so much to score goals but with Levi and that blueline they are real tough to score on most nights.

Well they lost this morning to Sweden in QF, so he should be on his way back as we speak.

Maybe he plays this weekend? He didn't play at all for Canada, so not sure why he even went and gave up a portion of his season.

The preliminaries were for rankings only. There was no elimination. Could have at least played him against China - even half a game.

Anyways have to think jet lag will be a factor.

Not rooting against NU just want to see Harris in a Habs uniform. :)

Reactions: montreal

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Holy f***, we certainly hired enough guys connected to northeastern to ensure we sign this dude. He better be worth it Lol

Like I said, I've seen him play in person, and no, he's definitely not the next Adam Fox. He seems like a nice, "modern" puck mover but he won't get you of your seat. Struble, on the other hand, does have that ability, and the "ability" to completely take himself out of the play . . . but he's way more exciting than Harris.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Like I said, I've seen him play in person, and no, he's definitely not the next Adam Fox. He seems like a nice, "modern" puck mover but he won't get you of your seat.

This whole Harris ordeal encapsulates exactly what it’s like to play in a big market. At the very best, he’s a second pairing NHL defenceman that is simply solid. But people bring up the subject of his signing like we’d be losing Cale Makar.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
If he can become a player like Neal Pionk and bring the same impact as a top 4 dman. It will be a success all the line..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't know where Adam Fox comes in as I doubt or hope that no one is expecting that from him. But he doesn't have to be a Makar of Fox for fans to be pissed if we lose what is very likely to be at worse a better Mete since you would be losing an NHLer for nothing which will always suck.

He's not flashy, his game is all about the high IQ, great poise, skating, mobility. But the concerns are over his lack of size, strength, shot and he's not physical. He needs to be with a Guhle or someone like that who can help him contain players along the boards or in the crease. He's very good positionally, he knows how to use his stick well to block passes, etc... I don't know how high his offensive upside is, to me I would be shocked if he's not at worst a bottom pairing D. He's easily one of the best D in the NCAA.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Romanov - Savard
Harris - Clague
Schueneman - Niku

I could see something like this assuming Edmundson is healthy.

Romanov - Savard
Edmundson - Schueneman
Harris - Justin Braun
Clague

Clague hasn't shown much so far so I'd think he's either a 7th D or even in the AHL. I'd be surprised if Niku is still around, he probably goes and plays in Europe next year.

Could be a good idea to sign someone like Justin Braun and flip him at the deadline since D like him are always in higher demand. Give him extra money as incentive to sign here on a year deal then eat some salary when trading him.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I don't know where Adam Fox comes in as I doubt or hope that no one is expecting that from him. But he doesn't have to be a Makar of Fox for fans to be pissed if we lose what is very likely to be at worse a better Mete since you would be losing an NHLer for nothing which will always suck.

He's not flashy, his game is all about the high IQ, great poise, skating, mobility. But the concerns are over his lack of size, strength, shot and he's not physical. He needs to be with a Guhle or someone like that who can help him contain players along the boards or in the crease. He's very good positionally, he knows how to use his stick well to block passes, etc... I don't know how high his offensive upside is, to me I would be shocked if he's not at worst a bottom pairing D. He's easily one of the best D in the NCAA.
So he doesn't excel or is even average offensively or defensively but is a smart kid that skates well. Seems like a lot of fuss but teams do need bottom pairing players. Hopefully he's a late bloomer and we get surprised in a couple years.

Reactions: iamtalbot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad