Player Discussion Jordan Harris part 2

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think he'll play on the right side if he stays. Our right side is pretty weak defensively with Barron, Mailloux and Reinbacher. Harris-Struble could be a good 3rd pairing.
Guhle - Reinbacher - Mailloux may clog up the rights side, if not next season, the year after next. Already next season, Matheson - Xhekaj - Hutson/Struble/Engstrom may clog up the left. And Barron or Bogdan could surprise and evolve into a good 3rd pair RD, and push Guhle back to the left, leaving only 2 spots on the left instead of 3.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Guhle - Reinbacher - Mailloux may clog up the rights side, if not next season, the year after next. Already next season, Matheson - Xhekaj - Hutson/Struble/Engstrom may clog up the left. And Barron or Bogdan could surprise and evolve into a good 3rd pair RD, and push Guhle back to the left, leaving only 2 spots on the left instead of 3.

Left side:

Matheson is a given…a beast

Xhekaj is having shoulder surgery…not sure how this will affect his status…can’t be good.

Hutson won’t be in the NHL next year

Strubble is a given…pencil his name in for sure

Engstrom is a dime a dozen, nothing that special

By the way, how come you totally left Savard’s name out. He should return next year….we can’t afford to lose all our quality vets thinking prospects are a sure thing. They are not.

Reactions: 1909

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Left side:

Xhekaj is having shoulder surgery…not sure how this will affect his status…can’t be good.

By the way, how come you totally left Savard’s name out. He should return next year….we can’t afford to lose all our quality vets thinking prospects are a sure thing. They are not.
I was talking medium term. I don't expect Savard back after next year.

Reactions: TennisMenace

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Left side:

Bold statement, he hasn’t played a game yet in NA

Reactions: Goldthorpe

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Bold statement, he hasn’t played a game yet in NA

I figured my comment would get a reaction from someone. I was right. 😎 His numbers are not bad:
4-18-22 (-10), 4 penalty minutes
6-10-16 (-7), 14 penalty minutes

Nothing screams “star alert” ….just okay. Seeing that we have so many hot defensive prospects, I think the Habs will have to trade some prospects away in order to land a decent forward. I figured AE would be one of those guys used for trade bait. He seems to be rising, he is young (21 I believe), would be cheap, and could help a team in much more dire need for Dmen than the Habs.

I think having him below the 4 guys I mentioned- AX, MM, JS, and LH-makes sense, and I don’t think many would take exception to him being below those 4…..Jordan Harris would make 5. Thus, we have a surplus. In my opinion, he would be a Better use to trade him in a package.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
I imagine it has already been mentioned, I find Brendan Harris being one of the most articulate players on the Canadiens when it comes to addressing the media. I enjoy listening to him speak every time he gives an interview. I know you don't win games by the way you talk to journalists, but I like his personality. Seems like a very smart guy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I imagine it has already been mentioned, I find Brendan Harris being one of the most articulate players on the Canadiens when it comes to addressing the media. I enjoy listening to him speak every time he gives an interview. I know you don't win games by the way you talk to journalists, but I like his personality. Seems like a very smart guy.

are you talking about Brendan Harris or Jordan Gallagher?

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I figured my comment would get a reaction from someone. I was right. 😎 His numbers are not bad:

Nothing screams “star alert” ….just okay. Seeing that we have so many hot defensive prospects, I think the Habs will have to trade some prospects away in order to land a decent forward. I figured AE would be one of those guys used for trade bait. He seems to be rising, he is young (21 I believe), would be cheap, and could help a team in much more dire need for Dmen than the Habs.

I think having him below the 4 guys I mentioned- AX, MM, JS, and LH-makes sense, and I don’t think many would take exception to him being below those 4…..Jordan Harris would make 5. Thus, we have a surplus. In my opinion, he would be a Better use to trade him in a package.
Have you seen him play? Engstrom may be the best skater in our entire pool. Maybe better than Rein.

Right now he is playing meaningful minutes deep in the SHL playoffs, the second best league in the world, while everyone in the AHL and NHL is just waiting to finish the season.

If he comes he'll definitively be given a long look.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

I thought we had a good prospect in Adam Engstrom, but then I read your in-depth analysis for why he is just okay.

Dang. Color me impressed. You are a modern day Norman Flynn!

• Haha
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Looking at stats may not be a great way to form a strong opinion.

He is the best skater out of all of our D prospects and has very good puck skills to go with it. Combine the fact that he was 6'2" and 190 lbs and likely is heavier now, he absolutely has top 4 upside. I am not sure why the focus should be on a hyper subjective term such as "star" but he absolutely is among our D prospects with the highest potential upside. To suggest that he is not in the conversation with eventually playing ahead of Xhekaj and Struble is extremely presumptuous and while you may end up being correct you could also be very wrong and it is way to early to suggest that he is more likely to go in either direction.

Hughes is on record as saying that he wants to be very careful about knowing exactly what he has in any of these dmen before moving them and as of right now that would suggest that Engstrom is highly unlikely to be moved unless the return is just too good to refuse.

As most posters here know, I have been a big Struble since before we selected him but I would suggest that he may very well be a top candidate to be traded this off season. I think he has shown enough to solidify the fact that he will be a good NHL defender for a long time and I am sure that other GM's have noticed this as well. His combination of speed, strength, physicality and poise are extremely enticing but I think that this team has too many LD's with higher offensive potential and he may be expendable. For me it comes down to Struble, Harris and Barron as young D men who are most likely to move. Barron has a little stink on him due to some of his struggles and Harris doesn't have the size/physical game that other GM's covet. Struble in my opinion might garner the greatest return of these three which bumps him up the list of Dmen likely to be moved. One or both of Barron and Kovacevic could be moved but for less than Struble would fetch which leaves Harris and his versatility as a stronger candidate to stay and help to mitigate any handed related decisions. Hughes has mentioned the importance of determining how much head room is left for each player between their established level of play and their ceiling. If he concludes that Struble may not have much more runway he may very well choose to flip him now while the allure of growth can still factor positively into a trade partner's evaluation of Jayden.

All of this to say that Hughes will want to get a good look at Engstrom in NA and there may very well already have been players traded before Hughes can even gain a reasonable determination of Engstrom's value as a potential member on the Canadiens or as a trade chip. It should also be noted that Engstrom's ability or inability to effectively play both sides in NA will go a long way in determining how Hughes values him. I personally see the competition being between Engstrom and Harris as two LHD PMDs who can play both sides being something that Hughes may eventually need to choose between.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Left side:

Engstrom definitely isn't a dime a dozen, he's very good

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I thought we had a good prospect in Adam Engstrom, but then I read your in-depth analysis for why he is just okay.

Dang. Color me impressed. You are a modern day Norman Flynn!

If on his next shift he make a routine 12 foot pass in his own end to a wide open outlet who then takes the puck and goes through all 5 skaters of the opposition before dangling the goalie and scoring he will suddenly take a significant developmental upswing because the statistical profile of that particular play will be that of a "star" player.....:sarcasm:

Not watching games excludes one from the scouting conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad