Player Discussion Jordan Harris part 2

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I also hope to get a 2nd or a 3rd for kovacevic.

I thiugh he had a really strong start to the season, then had a pretty bad spell since.

But, I'm not convinced he can't bounce out of this funk. Although he's not mobile and sometimes makes mistakes with the puck, I do find when he's on he brings some of the same things Hal Gill brought: a big body that clogged up passing lanes and that was able to clear the front of the net and win battles in the corners.

But there are too many young D ahead of him, so I hope Highes gets offered a 2nd or a 3rd for him.

they will never get that for him, Dmen like Kovacevic are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: MasterD

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
they will never get that for him, Dmen like Kovacevic are a dime a dozen.
Kulak got a 2nd.

And remember Brandon Davidson. He was awful, useless. Kovacevic is actually useful. Davidson was traded for a 3rd at TDL.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Kulak got a 2nd.

And remember Brandon Davidson. He was awful, useless. Kovacevic is actually useful. Davidson was traded for a 3rd at TDL.

Yeah, I'm not sure people value Kov that high though, who knows

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Yeah, I'm not sure people value Kov that high though, who knows
Right D are rare. He also carries a sub-million cap hit next year. Looking at the Leafs in particular, he'd be on their second pairing even when healthy because their depth is atrocious. Tampa likewise only really has Cernak who's a natural righty and are super tight against the cap next year if they plan to keep Stamkos. Minnesota still have 14 mil dead cap next year. Even with the cap increases, a ton of teams lack depth and are tight against the cap. Vancouver too need to sign Pettersson and Hronek to long term deals and work on Zadorov and the rest of their depth. Pens are also starved for cap after a Guentzal extension and none of their D are good defensively.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I think Kov / Harris are each worth minimum a 2nd...I wouldn't trade them for that tho until we are forced to make room and maybe their value will increase by then...but cheap solid bottom pair guys with top 4 upside have value.

Reactions: DAChampion

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I think Kov / Harris are each worth minimum a 2nd...I wouldn't trade them for that tho until we are forced to make room and maybe their value will increase by then...but cheap solid bottom pair guys with top 4 upside have value.
We got a 25 years old Kovacevik on waivers, didn't we?

Those guys are good to have, cheap contracts and all, but they're not worth that much on the market.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
We got a 25 years old Kovacevik on waivers, didn't we?

Those guys are good to have, cheap contracts and all, but they're not worth that much on the market.
Pre-season waivers only mean he was 8th on Jets depth chart. Kovacevic has the size, is righty and could help a team as a 7th defenseman in playoffs.

That's about what you expect from a late second draftee

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
No way we will or should we let Harris go for a 2nd. What a terrible idea that would be. This guy is so underrated. As stable as they come, calm, poised and efficient. The only thing he doesn’t have is a nasty streak, which seems to be all that matters to many of these posters. Crazy, nonsense talk.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
No way will or should we let Harris go for a 2nd. What a terrible idea that would be. This guy is so underrated. As stable as they come, calm, poised and efficient. The only thing he doesn’t have is a nasty streak, which seems to be all that matters to many of these posters. Crazy, nonsense talk.

Either Harris or Barron need to go eventually, perhaps both even, but not yet. There's no urgency. None of Xhekaj, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, are knocking on the door.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
No way will or should we let Harris go for a 2nd. What a terrible idea that would be. This guy is so underrated. As stable as they come, calm, poised and efficient. The only thing he doesn’t have is a nasty streak, which seems to be all that matters to many of these posters. Crazy, nonsense talk.
Perfectly said. Luckily I’m sure management sees him this way too. I think he wears a letter eventually too.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Either Harris or Barron need to go eventually, perhaps both even, but not yet. There's no urgency. None of Xhekaj, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, are knocking on the door.
Montreal finally has some depth on the blueline to make some deals down the road to upgrade the meek forwards.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Pre-season waivers only mean he was 8th on Jets depth chart. Kovacevic has the size, is righty and could help a team as a 7th defenseman in playoffs.

That's about what you expect from a late second draftee
Lane Hutson is a 2nd rounder. Subban was a 2md rounder. Struble. Romanov.

Sure there's also Norlinder and Brooks, but I'd say the upside of a 2nd Rd drafted damn is much more than a 7th dman generally.

I don't think Kovacevic alone gets much more than a 5th, maybe 4th.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Well said.

But the ‘grass is always greener’ mind set affects many here. We have invested a lot of time in Harris’ development and to trade a young, smart and mobile defenceman who has already shown an ability to play effectively in the NHL for a draft choice that has less than a 35% chance of even reaching the NHL is at best a regressive strategy.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

He can also play the right side without missing a beat, which isn't the case for some of the other left defensemen. I don't see Struble and Xhekaj as mutually exclusive and I think that applies to the depth and Harris too. There are other guys on the backend that can go before any of them.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Lane Hutson is a 2nd rounder. Subban was a 2md rounder. Struble. Romanov.

Sure there's also Norlinder and Brooks, but I'd say the upside of a 2nd Rd drafted damn is much more than a 7th dman generally.

I don't think Kovacevic alone gets much more than a 5th, maybe 4th.
If I need a good 7th on minimal cap for my playoff push, I would sacrifice a late 2nd or a 3rd for Kovacevic. Maybe not my first option but 4th and 5th normally get you overpaid underachievers like Bergevin got us in the last 10 years.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I've been and avid non-believer since day 1 of his NHL career, and probably still am, but he is playing solid hockey since coming back. Struble is really good at coming out with the puck and actually making a sound pass, which allows Harris more time to make the next play. Much different than trying to handle a hot potato that Kovacevic throws at you and getting nailed while trying to settle it.

Reactions: GrandBison

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t agree with you here. IMO Harris is already one of our better young dmen. Those prospects aren’t guaranteed to amount to anything even if I like a few of them. There is still room for Harris if 2-3 make it from that group.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don’t agree with you here. IMO Harris is already one of our better young dmen. Those prospects aren’t guaranteed to amount to anything even if I like a few of them. There is still room for Harris if 2-3 make it from that group.

I think that Harris might have a future on the team, but on the third pairing, and that there is a separate competition between the top -4 and the third pairing, as the latter will be cheaper. The third pairing might well be Harris-Struble.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
No way we will or should we let Harris go for a 2nd. What a terrible idea that would be. This guy is so underrated. As stable as they come, calm, poised and efficient. The only thing he doesn’t have is a nasty streak, which seems to be all that matters to many of these posters. Crazy, nonsense talk.
Yeah, I wouldn't trade Harris at this point. He's young, is a good player and is cheap. If a team wants to overpay for some reason then sure, but no reason to trade him for a pick.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
One thing that we may eventually have to come to terms with, is that if we fantasize about trading one of our young D for a star forward, it unfortunately won't be a Harris or a Barron, but more likely a Ghule or a Reinbacher.

Of course, this isn't the only possible course of action and I am in no way wishing to see our premier D get traded.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I also hope to get a 2nd or a 3rd for kovacevic.

I thiugh he had a really strong start to the season, then had a pretty bad spell since.

But, I'm not convinced he can't bounce out of this funk. Although he's not mobile and sometimes makes mistakes with the puck, I do find when he's on he brings some of the same things Hal Gill brought: a big body that clogged up passing lanes and that was able to clear the front of the net and win battles in the corners.

But there are too many young D ahead of him, so I hope Highes gets offered a 2nd or a 3rd for him.

For a contending team, kovacevic is no more than a 3rd pair guy.

I'd consider a 2nd rounder for him to be a steal. KH makes that move in a heartbeat.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
One thing that we may eventually have to come to terms with, is that if we fantasize about trading one of our young D for a star forward, it unfortunately won't be a Harris or a Barron, but more likely a Ghule or a Reinbacher.

Of course, this isn't the only possible course of action and I am in no way wishing to see our premier D get traded.

Nothing wrong in principal with trading Guhle or Reinbacher for a star forward.

Reactions: Licou and Andy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad