Player Discussion Jordan Harris part 2

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's a concern, for sure. You won't last long in the league as a small third pairing guy if you don't bring something a bit above average to the table.
His hockey smarts and excellent skating make him a solid bottom pairing D.
He probably will be a 20 point guy.

He is the type of D you need because he will never break the bank and will provide good, reliable minutes.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

He is the type of D you need because he will never break the bank and will provide good, reliable minutes.
More importantly, which defenseman that we currently have who’s not playing would be an upgrade over Harris? Maybe in a year or so when the expected wave of young defensemen arrive we will have better options. But they’re not here yet. So many thought that Norlinder was a sure bet. How did that turn out?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
More importantly, which defenseman that we currently have who’s not playing would be an upgrade over Harris? Maybe in a year or so when the expected wave of young defensemen arrive we will have better options. But they’re not here yet. So many thought that Norlinder was a sure bet. How did that turn out?

When Savard is healthy, if there are no other injuries, not sure Harris is still in the top 6. Who sits for Harris: Xhekaj? Kovacevic? Barron? As it stands now, Arber and Kovacevic would probably be the candidates:

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris, Lindstrom

Then we'll see if Reinbacher and Hutson are ready next year, as everyone is saying.
Trudeau, Mailloux, and Struble can all spend another year in Laval, along with Engstrom who the Habs are trying to bring over next year, and Harris's spot is still in danger.

Reactions: Tyson

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Engstrom is the most likely to do so but I would also watch out for Struble who brings such a robust element to the game as well as his great mobility.

Harris is a swiss army knife dman with his high IQ, mobility and leadership/professionalism. I like his chances better if he can learn to be effective on the right side as well.

Either way tough decisions loom ahead for HuGo and assets will need to be exchanged for assets that fit organizational needs. I think Harris is 50/50 to stay as he fits a lot of organizational principles, specifically on the culture building side where he is incredibly focused, disciplined and sets/adds to the professional culture that HuGo so covet. They may opt for more size and deem him expendable, I have no clue how this will play out but changes are on the horizon.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
When Savard is healthy, if there are no other injuries, not sure Harris is still in the top 6. Who sits for Harris: Xhekaj? Kovacevic? Barron? As it stands now, Arber and Kovacevic would probably be the candidates:

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris, Lindstrom

Then we'll see if Reinbacher and Hutson are ready next year, as everyone is saying.
Trudeau, Mailloux, and Struble can all spend another year in Laval, along with Engstrom who the Habs are trying to bring over next year, and Harris's spot is still in danger.

I don't think there is much of a chance of Hutson being here next season but I do expect Savard to be moved and Kovacevic is nothing more than a placeholder to bridge us to the next wave of dmen.

This is how I currently see next year's D corps although I could envision Reinbacher starting in Laval

Matheson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Struble - Kovacevic

Mailloux and Struble may push for spots when injuries occur and I expect both to play, especially Struble. I think Engstrom plays a final season in Sweden and Hutson is 50/50 to stay with the Terriers or go pro and play in Laval. I expect at least 1 of Harris, Struble, Hutson, Trudeau, Xhekaj, Barron or Engstrom to be traded. I left out Mailloux because I don't think you could ever get fair value for him with his past as silly as that is. Moving Hutson or Xhekaj will take a significant offer and may not be likely but might get us a young talented forward that we desperately need, they both have warts and should not be considered untouchable by any means.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris, Lindstrom

Not a huge fan of Kovacevic. While he has played better this year, he’s still a journeyman. I suspect he will be more vulnerable to replacement than Harris when the wave of defensive replacements start to arrive. As for Savard , if healthy, he will most likely be traded as he is far more valuable to a contender than to us as we continue to re-tool. But we shall see.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Engstrom is the most likely to do so but I would also watch out for Struble who brings such a robust element to the game as well as his great mobility.

Harris is a swiss army knife dman with his high IQ, mobility and leadership/professionalism. I like his chances better if he can learn to be effective on the right side as well.

Either way tough decisions loom ahead for HuGo and assets will need to be exchanged for assets that fit organizational needs. I think Harris is 50/50 to stay as he fits a lot of organizational principles, specifically on the culture building side where he is incredibly focused, disciplined and sets/adds to the professional culture that HuGo so covet. They may opt for more size and deem him expendable, I have no clue how this will play out but changes are on the horizon.
Harris will be traded to make a spot on the roster at LD once it is needed. It's not urgent and Matheson might go first depending how fast the LDs prospect crops grows (mostly Guhle so he can take his minutes).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think there is much of a chance of Hutson being here next season but I do expect Savard to be moved and Kovacevic is nothing more than a placeholder to bridge us to the next wave of dmen.

This is how I currently see next year's D corps although I could envision Reinbacher starting in Laval

Matheson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Harris
Struble - Kovacevic

Mailloux and Struble may push for spots when injuries occur and I expect both to play, especially Struble. I think Engstrom plays a final season in Sweden and Hutson is 50/50 to stay with the Terriers or go pro and play in Laval. I expect at least 1 of Harris, Struble, Hutson, Trudeau, Xhekaj, Barron or Engstrom to be traded. I left out Mailloux because I don't think you could ever get fair value for him with his past as silly as that is. Moving Hutson or Xhekaj will take a significant offer and may not be likely but might get us a young talented forward that we desperately need, they both have warts and should not be considered untouchable by any means.
Not a huge fan of Kovacevic. While he has played better this year, he’s still a journeyman. I suspect he will be more vulnerable to replacement than Harris when the wave of defensive replacements start to arrive. As for Savard , if healthy, he will most likely be traded as he is far more valuable to a contender than to us as we continue to re-tool. But we shall see.

I'm not sure Kovacevic is ahead of Harris on MSL's depth chart. But we'll see how things play out this year. There is a lot of hockey left...

I think one of Kovacevic and Savard will be traded in anticipation of Reinbacher coming over next year. If Kovacevic keeps playing well, I could see us getting a 2nd for him, like we got for Kulak...

Rumor from Mathias Brunet is that the Habs see Hutson in Montreal next year. I would rather him put on more weight in the NCAA for another year, and don't see how he can play D in the NHL at his current weight. But that's the rumor. And for me, weight is more the issue than height. If he were built like Frankie Bouillon, I would be a lot more comfortable. And I'm less worried about him being bad defensively than I am him getting serious injuries that hamper his quickness in his shake and bake moves long term.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm not sure Kovacevic is ahead of Harris on MSL's depth chart. But we'll see how things play out this year. There is a lot of hockey left...

I think one of Kovacevic and Savard will be traded in anticipation of Reinbacher coming over next year. If Kovacevic keeps playing well, I could see us getting a 2nd for him, like we got for Kulak...

Rumor from Mathias Brunet is that the Habs see Hutson in Montreal next year. I would rather him put on more weight in the NCAA for another year, and don't see how he can play D in the NHL at his current weight. But that's the rumor. And for me, weight is more the issue than height. If he were built like Frankie Bouillon, I would be a lot more comfortable. And I'm less worried about him being bad defensively than I am him getting serious injuries that hamper his quickness in his shake and bake moves long term.

Mathias Brunet is an enormous *** clown and has as much insight into the plans of upper management as my dog has...

I think a healthy Savard is definitely traded and might return a late 2nd or 3rd round pick. Kovacevic has almost no value as he is a fringe NHLer with no playoff experience, getting anything more than a 5th for him would be a coup. Kulak is/was a much better puck mover than Kovacevic and had just come off of a run to the Stanley Cup finals......almost no comparison as far as value to a playoff bound team.

Definitely agreed that neither Savard or Kovacevic are in the future plans of this organization.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Why? Harris might be worth a 2nd.
interesting a second?

You trade a player with his superior skating ability at your peril.
Very limited, sees like he checks in and out would like to see him apply a bit more pressure when he is on D, no one is expecting him to be a X but a little bit more effort and awareness in his zone and on the transition would make him a bit more attractive.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I thought Harris was steady eddy for playing his off side. He's more mobile and better hockey smarts than Kovacevic. Give Harris a few games playing right side could be prelude to a Savard trade?

Reactions: Habs10Habs

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Mathias Brunet is an enormous *** clown and has as much insight into the plans of upper management as my dog has...

I think a healthy Savard is definitely traded and might return a late 2nd or 3rd round pick. Kovacevic has almost no value as he is a fringe NHLer with no playoff experience, getting anything more than a 5th for him would be a coup. Kulak is/was a much better puck mover than Kovacevic and had just come off of a run to the Stanley Cup finals......almost no comparison as far as value to a playoff bound team.

Definitely agreed that neither Savard or Kovacevic are in the future plans of this organization.
I think you are underestimating our trade candidates to the grossly over inflated prices paid at the deadline.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

If they move Harris it's because they've targeted something special for him. Kovacevic and Lidstrom go well before Harris does.
I also expect we will see a lot of Struble on that right side as the season wears on and he gains more experience.

Reactions: Redux91

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
interesting a second?

Very limited, sees like he checks in and out would like to see him apply a bit more pressure when he is on D, no one is expecting him to be a X but a little bit more effort and awareness in his zone and on the transition would make him a bit more attractive.

I see nothing at all wrong with his effort or awareness. He is an undersized D who needs to play less physical than his larger contemporaries. It is also better for young D to master their gap control/spacing angles and decision making before learning to become more aggressive physically. I think this is what is happening with Harris as he is quite strong for his size and will get stronger as he is a maniac in the gym. He will gradually implement more physical play as he gains a little more mass and strength although I do not believe he will ever be considered a physical defenceman.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I remember when you said same thing about Chiarot. Most he would return is a 3rd

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris, Lindstrom

Harris is better than Kova. People overrate Kova a lot he's the next Kulak. I expect KH to trade him if a 2nd or 3rd is offered at some point.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Harris is better than Kova. People overrate Kova a lot he's the next Kulak. I expect KH to trade him if a 2nd or 3rd is offered at some point.

I also hope to get a 2nd or a 3rd for kovacevic.

I thiugh he had a really strong start to the season, then had a pretty bad spell since.

But, I'm not convinced he can't bounce out of this funk. Although he's not mobile and sometimes makes mistakes with the puck, I do find when he's on he brings some of the same things Hal Gill brought: a big body that clogged up passing lanes and that was able to clear the front of the net and win battles in the corners.

But there are too many young D ahead of him, so I hope Highes gets offered a 2nd or a 3rd for him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Xhekaj for one...

But since the wave of D may start next year, it would be good to trade those that for sure won't be part of the future sooner rather than later, so we're not stuck having to give them away.

I'd take any good offers for Savard, Kovacevic, Lindstrom, and Norlinder right away.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Xhekaj for one...

But since the wave of D may start next year, it would be good to trade those that for sure won't be part of the future sooner rather than later, so we're not stuck having to give them away.

I'd take any good offers for Savard, Kovacevic, Lindstrom, and Norlinder right away.
I think Xhekaj will become the better player but he isn't there yet.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
True, I was projecting for the future. But I'm fine with Xhekaj honing his craft in the A. It sounds like he's playing basically as a number 1 D.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Completely different players who play different roles. There’s room for both on the team. I suspect when everything shakes out, both Barron and Kovacevic will be gone.

Xhekaj for one...

There’s value in Savard and Kovacevic but much less so for Lindstrom and Norlinder.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Of all of our defencemen I cant say much good or bad about Jordan Harris, he's just there. I don't watch him during games because he isn't a standout of any sort but he is steady and doesn't seem to make costly errors so I guess there's that. Hard to say if he fits into the plans of Hughes but there is no rush to see how things go.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Of all of our defencemen I cant say much good or bad about Jordan Harris, he's just there. I don't watch him during games because he isn't a standout of any sort but he is steady and doesn't seem to make costly errors so I guess there's that. Hard to say if he fits into the plans of Hughes but there is no rush to see how things go.
Harris is steady for sure....................as for our D, something is going down soon I would think.
Too many D and we can't score goals.................seems obvious on what to do.........not that easy I know but geez we have a glut of Dmen.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad