Player Discussion Jordan Greenway

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Really like how he has been able to step in and be effective. Replacing Ennis with him has really made the team deeper up front. Hope he keeps playing well.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Personally, I think people over-estimate the jump for high end players. He's probably ready to make a difference in the NHL similar to how Kreider was for the Rangers.

Short of the Wild getting bounced, with Iowa still in the playoffs this year. I'll be surprised if he's ever in the AHL.

I'm more confident in this prediction than ever.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
What kind of game is he flashing? The limited minutes I've seen Greenway has flashed a little bit of ability to use his frame to shield the puck and pass pretty nicely. He also seems to move pretty solidly for his size. I felt a little bit that he seemed to lose his balance a lot and needs some time in the weight room strengthening his core/lower body to really be the kind of players on the boards that his frame suggests he could be. He also needs to get used to keeping his pace at an NHL level and was getting caught flat footed a little bit. Haven't seen what his shot looks like or his ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone/zone entries.

I was extremely encouraged by the flashes I saw, but he also looked like a rookie who jumped straight from the college level. Has he adjusted a little bit with a few more games under his belt?

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Yes, he flashed a laser beam for his first NHL goal. Worth checking out.

Wow. Really nice goal. Love the hustle and nose from the puck coming all the way from the half-wall and navigating through traffic into the slot. Lifts the defenders stick. Kicks the puck with his skate to the stick. Turns and rips a laser. I didn't realize he could shoot like that. He can really move well for a guy that big and the awareness in one motion to lift the stick and kick the puck to his stick while spinning shows a lot of coordination and puck skills.

Coyle's held back from his ultimate ceiling by his lack of a strong shot meaning he's more comfortable trying to come in and deke the goalie or dish the puck after pulling guys towards him. Niederreiter has the shot, but he can't move laterally or carry the puck quite as well (more of a north-south guy) as Coyle through the neutral zone and entering the offensive zone. If Greenway can move, especially laterally, like Coyle can and has a nose for the puck/hard shot like Niederreiter he really could be a stud.

Do you have enough of a feel to comment on initial impressions on Greenway's board play/cycling ability and/or his ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone/zone entries?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I think his balance / strength on skates is not as good as it will be. He'll continue to work on developing pro strength over the summer. I said it sometimes takes a few years for bigger players to learn how to move around efficiently, but Greenway has a solid foundation because he knows where to be. He's a well-coached player with good vision. I thought he showed the ability to be elusive last night - something I hadn't seen much of previously. A 6'5" guy who can carry the puck...well, maybe we'd want a little less finesse from a guy with his size but hard to complain about the skills and upside.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He has yet to show his passing skills. He has surprisingly good vision and hands crammed into that big body.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Hockey IQ and willingness to learn/improve is exciting. Small sample size, but how many big, talented players do you see stall out because of average-to-low hockey IQ or a refusal to learn (Gillies, Sheppard, Pouliot, etc.)?

Greenway actually might have the mindset to make use of his already impressive size and quality hands.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think his balance / strength on skates is not as good as it will be. He'll continue to work on developing pro strength over the summer. I said it sometimes takes a few years for bigger players to learn how to move around efficiently, but Greenway has a solid foundation because he knows where to be. He's a well-coached player with good vision. I thought he showed the ability to be elusive last night - something I hadn't seen much of previously. A 6'5" guy who can carry the puck...well, maybe we'd want a little less finesse from a guy with his size but hard to complain about the skills and upside.

I understand what you mean when you saying "maybe we'd want a little less finesse from a guy with his size", in that we want him to have the willingness to go through players physically, but I won't complain about him showing so much skill with the puck. Guys with size like his who learn to use both have names like Lindros and Benn. I don't think (but I also don't know) that he'll ever be as good as those guys, but I think he's got vast potential. Of course, the higher the potential, the easier it is to not reach it.

His board game is already NHL level, and as he strengthens up his lower body and core it may become as dominant in the NHL as it was against his peers in the NCAA and juniors. He has more puck skill than I thought he did, and his skating is actually not just "good for a big guy" but just good, period. He's not Zucker in that regard, but he's not Koivu either. That's awesome to see! He's also obviously a smart player. He's usually doing the right things and in the right place. He was the guy I was most excited about after watching the prospects camp two seasons ago, and he's only gotten better since. I'm officially excited about him.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I understand what you mean when you saying "maybe we'd want a little less finesse from a guy with his size", in that we want him to have the willingness to go through players physically, but I won't complain about him showing so much skill with the puck. Guys with size like his who learn to use both have names like Lindros and Benn. I don't think (but I also don't know) that he'll ever be as good as those guys, but I think he's got vast potential. Of course, the higher the potential, the easier it is to not reach it.

His board game is already NHL level, and as he strengthens up his lower body and core it may become as dominant in the NHL as it was against his peers in the NCAA and juniors. He has more puck skill than I thought he did, and his skating is actually not just "good for a big guy" but just good, period. He's not Zucker in that regard, but he's not Koivu either. That's awesome to see! He's also obviously a smart player. He's usually doing the right things and in the right place. He was the guy I was most excited about after watching the prospects camp two seasons ago, and he's only gotten better since. I'm officially excited about him.
I've been pretty shocked at how good his decision making with the puck is. He's tossed into the playoffs and he's already making better decisions than some of the roster. He also does seem to get himself to where he should be.

Reactions: BagHead

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It will probably take a year or two before he finds his strength in the NHL. Even when he was playing lower levels he wouldn't dominate games physically except in little spurts. when that happened, though, it got pretty interesting.

I think it's been an education for him playing against bigger, stronger guys like Buff and Myers.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
He is a very welcome addition.
A big body with some speed, hands and teachable.
We have enough Spurgeon, Granny, Zucker, Ennis types.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I never had high hopes for him as a prospect, but he sure has looked good as a rookie in the playoffs. Excited to see what he brings next year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It will probably take a year or two before he finds his strength in the NHL. Even when he was playing lower levels he wouldn't dominate games physically except in little spurts. when that happened, though, it got pretty interesting.

I think it's been an education for him playing against bigger, stronger guys like Buff and Myers.
He still looks like a thin stick out there compared to other big players... when he fully fills out, he's going to be a force!

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
He has a lot of work to do but he could become the player we all wanted out of Coyle. He's big, fast, has a good shot and decent passing. But above all else he actually uses his body. He's physical. He hits. He actually battles. What a fun player to watch.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
One of the only bright spots in the playoffs was seeing that he's already able to fit in and contribute.

Dimmed pretty quick, 'cause it doesn't seem to matter how good they are once the postseason starts.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I thought Greenway's performance was very encouraging. Of course, I felt the same about Eriksson-Ek's stint last year and he had a very modest first full season. Not bad and I have plenty of good things to say about him, but very modest.

Still, I do think he starts in the NHL next year, so that'll be cool.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I thought Greenway's performance was very encouraging. Of course, I felt the same about Eriksson-Ek's stint last year and he had a very modest first full season. Not bad and I have plenty of good things to say about him, but very modest.

Still, I do think he starts in the NHL next year, so that'll be cool.
While two very different style players(Ek & Greenway), I'd like to see Greenway get some top line time in Iowa next season. As Ek already had solid NHL caliber defensive game coming out of Sweden. Greenway still has some more work on his game that I think would be better served in the lower pressure AHL. Although if next training camp he comes in and takes a roster spot with his play, then cool. I'm just not one that likes rushing prospects, especially the power forward type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad