Player Discussion Jordan Greenway

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do, and not expecting anything in particular. All in all, I'm just glad he signed with us rather than going UFA next off-season.

Russo said he would take the night and then sign quickly. A day or two at the most. Russo was right on the money.

That really is where Russo shines.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
It's nice to see a young promising guy. Might take a year or few to develope, but it's actually nice to see someone new playing, see what he's able to bring with.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
So Greenway - Ek - Coyle kind of young guns thingy? ..or are they putting him with a veteran, which means Cullen's line. And of course Coyle's actually played more with Cullen lately..

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So Greenway - Ek - Coyle kind of young guns thingy? ..or are they putting him with a veteran, which means Cullen's line. And of course Coyle's actually played more with Cullen lately..
Sounds like he'll be in the 3rd line with Cullen.

If the lines start the way the last game finished, that should put him with Cullen and Coyle. If the lines start the way the last game started, then he's with Cullen and Nino.

Ek has been playing 4th line, and has the 4th line humming pretty damn well. Don't want to break up Foligno - Ek - Winnik right now, they're providing effective depth that we struggled in getting much of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Does anyone know if Greenway can fight? He's going to be challenged to drop the gloves before the season is over.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ek has been playing 4th line, and has the 4th line humming pretty damn well. Don't want to break up Foligno - Ek - Winnik right now, they're providing effective depth that we struggled in getting much of the year.

Bet you never thought you'd say those names and effective in the same sentence together,

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
played solid, didn't look out of place. For having no practice, it was a good showing. Better than Ennis usually looks.

I don't agree with that, and I don't like Ennis at all. Going from memory here, but Greenway could have just as well be Pokemon or Tuch (from last year) for what he contributed to the game play.

For no practices, his 1st NHL game, and all the new things he didn't play badly. Not being completely lost on the ice (and he wasn't) is an accomplishment.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
played solid, didn't look out of place. For having no practice, it was a good showing. Better than Ennis usually looks.

My two lasting images from him was getting laid out by Hartnell and turning the puck over on the PP for a break the other way. Safe to say that there is room for improvement.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
My two lasting images from him was getting laid out by Hartnell and turning the puck over on the PP for a break the other way. Safe to say that there is room for improvement.
First was for sure rough for him.

He had a couple moments that stuck out as solid plays to me later on, in the 2nd or 3rd he used his reach pretty effectively to break up some plays I recall.

But you could tell he was having to think a bit to much. To be expected.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not to make too much of first impressions, but Greenway seems too timid for my liking with a 6'6" guy. Not that he needs to be running around out of position crushing people, but a little jam would have been nice.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was a better skater than I thought he'd be, but I had very low expectations in that regard.

When I've watched Greenway before he has also looked timid, then all of a sudden bodies go flying, then he's back to timid. The NHL is a league filled with big, tough, men, though. He certainly will be running into a higher level of physicality than he ever has before.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Safe to say it wasn't a coach's decision to put a raw rookie into the lineup during a playoff run? Without so much as a practice against NHLers under his belt? (With all due respect to Jon Blum, et al.)

Agree that Greenway looked ok out there as you'd expect for a player of his size, skill and pedigree, but at this stage of his career he's not really an upgrade over Ennis or Mitchell or even Chris Stewart, for that matter. I don't think it'll be too long before he is, and I guess an immediate roster spot is the price you pay for some signatures.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Bruce loves big bodies. I wouldn't be surprised if he was about begging Fletcher to get Greenway to Nashville ASAP. I would also be shocked if Fletcher has nearly enough say to tell Boudreau who plays and who doesn't.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Bruce loves big bodies. I wouldn't be surprised if he was about begging Fletcher to get Greenway to Nashville ASAP. I would also be shocked if Fletcher has nearly enough say to tell Boudreau who plays and who doesn't.
I think it was probably more a request

"Bruce, can you play Greenway against Nashville and give him a bit of a run in the lineup?"
"Maybe, not like Ennis and Foligno have impressed me."
[Awkward silence]
"Point taken. But i need to give him some incentive to sign asap because we dont want him going back to BU next year."
"Ok, i understand. I will give him a spot. Maybe he does something with it. I like big players."

Reactions: Bender14

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think it always good to get a guy in the line up. Now Greenway knows. People can dominate the NCAA, Junior AHL Europe and those skills dont always translate. Getting a taste of something is the best way to want more.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
He looked to me like he was having trouble with the speed of the game. He just didn't have as much time to do things as he has been used to in college and needs time to adjust. Also, I would have liked to see him throw his body around a little more. It seems like that would have helped give him some confidence and reduce the jitters that he must have been experiencing.

IMO, I think he will get there, but there no quick pathway.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
His skating in terms of speed and first step looked great. Explosiveness is there and top end speed is very impressive. At times he was absolutely flying, which is quite a sight for a guy of his size. Great stride. On another level compared to a guy like Coyle who is no slouch either. Also, for his first game, really liked the way he used his body to protect the puck and how he worked along the boards. Could become a beast in those areas in the future. He didn't look out of place in general, was covering areas well and going to right places. Bodes well.

He has work to do in just having a better control and being stronger on his skates, balance, edges and agility/footwork things. If he can get at Coyle level there, watch out.

He was handling the puck like a grenade. Some of it was probably nerves, although I don't think he's ever going to be the smoothest puck handler. But you hope that he can develop at least a bit better touch and control so he could really take advantage of his skating ability in terms of carrying the puck and hanging on to pucks to create offense.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Didn't actually get anything done, other than the experience of a 1st game. But it was also against the best team in the NHL, right out of the gate. So I think the main task was just to stay alive.

The man's alive, all is well, to the next one.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Ennis out again tonight means Greenway gets another go. I would imagine Dallas will be a better game experience for Greenway. Probably a much less intense game and less depth to worry about. With it being at home Bruce can ease him in more with easier matchups.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Too bad he didn't score tonight. Ripped a shot that totally beat the goalie, but hit the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad