Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
what is scary is that we are one terrible summer away from being trash next year. As much as I trust Trotz to field a competitive team no matter what the Idea of losing Nelson,Lee,Eberle and Lehner is insane.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think you have to re-sign both Lee and Nelson and then try and sign Panarin. They have the space. Hayes is struggling in Winnipeg and where Duchene will sign is a complete wildcard.

Brock is matching up against Crosby and Malkin and limiting their scoring opportunities while chipping in offense. He’s just too valuable down the middle with Filppula aging and Barzal still being so young.

I agree. I just think that Nelson could get big money.

what is scary is that we are one terrible summer away from being trash next year. As much as I trust Trotz to field a competitive team no matter what the Idea of losing Nelson,Lee,Eberle and Lehner is insane.

NYI won't be trash - they'll just have holes. If there's anything we've learned from this year it's that a solid defense is a good place to start. Even if NYI just hangs around the 7-10 spots next year, they'll have a chance to supplement near the deadline. If you're going to be short anything, best to be short wingers.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
I think you have to re-sign both Lee and Nelson and then try and sign Panarin. They have the space. Hayes is struggling in Winnipeg and where Duchene will sign is a complete wildcard. After that, Nelson is the best option (he might be the ahead of Hayes actually).

Brock is matching up against Crosby and Malkin and limiting their scoring opportunities while chipping in offense. He’s just too valuable down the middle with Filppula aging and Barzal still being so young.

Lee-Barzal-X
Panarin-Nelson-Bailey

That’s a very strong and balanced top six.

Top six has to get stronger. Just wait until we play the Caps next round, or Boston, or Columbus. The teams with both skill and size are where we are exposed.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I agree. I just think that Nelson could get big money.

I think 6 x 6 is a fair deal for both sides. He may be able to get a little more on the open market, but hopefully like Bailey, he’ll take a smidge less to stay here, especially now that he’s carved out a solid role under a coaching staff that believes in him. That would bring his career earnings right to about 50M, with the chance to sign another short term deal at 33-34 and make a little more coin. If Lamoriello can land Panarin, I think they would be a phenomenal fit together on the second line. Both scored 22 even strength goals this season, tied with players like Crosby, Barkov, Marner, etc. They are good players.

I think Ladd will end up on LTIR, Hickey will be trade bait sooner than later, and there are going to be casualties (Leddy traded, Greiss not re-signed, Martin will have to take a paycut or walk, Komarov buyout). But I think the cap can be manuvered.

Last edited:
Reactions: YearlyLottery

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think that was the only real mistake Trotz has made all season - separating Eberle and Barzal. They thrived together in the past and seem to be again. Would have been interesting to see what they could have done with a full season together.

Getting each of them to focus on the aspects of the game he wants while away from one another has probably made the reunion possible. Barzal is a better two way player today than he was in October, so Trotz trusts the two of them together more. It wasn't a mistake, it was a lesson and teaching moment.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI

Well, if Bellows, Wahlstrom, MDC and Otto progress nicely, then the void of Eberle & Nelson leaving might be softened. I do feel Lehner MUST be re-signed as we don't know the status of Sorokin, Soderstrom was set back due to illness and Skarek is young and overseas.
Btw the Greiss deal that Garth got him to sign a few years back looks pretty nice with the cap hit v production this year.
Last year, with a horrible system the contract looked bad so hindsight is 20/20.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Getting each of them to focus on the aspects of the game he wants while away from one another has probably made the reunion possible. Barzal is a better two way player today than he was in October, so Trotz trusts the two of them together more. It wasn't a mistake, it was a lesson and teaching moment.

You can say the same of Eberle. I saw him battle along the boards more Friday night than he did the first half of the season.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
I would love to bring Eberle back. But man, I don't know if it's possible. Still need to re-sign Lee, Nelson, Lehner, and we're probably gonna go after a top FA. Just doesn't seem feasible.

The only way it works is if we get Ladd off the books, and well, that isn't happening.
Got Tony Sopranos number?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Yeah, they still have to go into the season under the cap if I understand this correctly.
That's correct and Ladd will certainly give it one more go. He's not going to just agree to sit out. And who knows - maybe he actually contributes at some point? The odds are increasingly against him, but he's going to be the last person to admit it. Regardless, LTIR doesn't mean that we reclaim his cap space and use all of it elsewhere. As you suggest, we still need to be cap compliant by the start of the season. After that, we could make use of LTIR if need be.

I can't second guess or question LL and the way he's approached this season and beyond as he'll forget in his sleep more than I've ever known about roster construction. But, it would be nice if we signed Lee and Nelson to contracts at this point as they aren't getting cheaper. Nelson was never the ideal move but its always been the move we've had to (or should) make as the alternatives are either very pricey and a long shot or not at all attractive. At the end of the day, the team will have to offer Nelson a close to market deal and that market is only going up.

We'll probably give $13m AAV to Lee and Nelson, make a run at Panarin for $10m (mas o menos) with someone like Duchene as a secondary option, sign Lehner to a reasonable enough deal ~$4 - 5m AAV. Eberle will probably remain on the back burner as a fall back option. Even with his excellent playoff performance - at least to date - I can't imagine teams rushing to sign him minute one of FA. Not that he's not a quality player - he is. But for what he will want (based on what he's made in the past) and the role he's looking to play (top 6 wing), teams will likely want to kick the tires before committing. I can see the Islanders going back to that well if its not real long term. Like $6m AAV for 3 years.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
There are 2 different types of LTIR used during the season and during training camp/off season. Ladd could be placed on that during the off season depending on what Lou wants to do. Maybe Ladd wants to just keep his mouth shut and collect a paycheck anyway.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I agree with you. And to be honest, but if I had to choose two to stay, I'm not sure Anders is one of them, although I hope they can sign all three and I think Anders is the first to be re-signed.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

The times of being scared and worried are in the past. LL and Trotz changed the entire organization for the better.

We had, what most fans felt was, the worst summer in a long long time. Yet here we are 1 game away from sweeping the "stacked" pittsburgh pens.

I'm not scared about this off-season. I'm excited to get even better.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The times of being scared and worried are in the past. LL and Trotz changed the entire organization for the better.

We had, what most fans felt was, the worst summer in a long long time. Yet here we are 1 game away from sweeping the "stacked" pittsburgh pens.

From a roster standpoint let's be quite clear in stating that nothing that happens this offseason (short of losing all four of the big UFA's and not replacing them) will be nearly as detrimental as last offseason.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
That's correct and Ladd will certainly give it one more go. He's not going to just agree to sit out. And who knows - maybe he actually contributes at some point? The odds are increasingly against him, but he's going to be the last person to admit it. Regardless, LTIR doesn't mean that we reclaim his cap space and use all of it elsewhere. As you suggest, we still need to be cap compliant by the start of the season. After that, we could make use of LTIR if need be.

I can't second guess or question LL and the way he's approached this season and beyond as he'll forget in his sleep more than I've ever known about roster construction. But, it would be nice if we signed Lee and Nelson to contracts at this point as they aren't getting cheaper. Nelson was never the ideal move but its always been the move we've had to (or should) make as the alternatives are either very pricey and a long shot or not at all attractive. At the end of the day, the team will have to offer Nelson a close to market deal and that market is only going up.

We'll probably give $13m AAV to Lee and Nelson, make a run at Panarin for $10m (mas o menos) with someone like Duchene as a secondary option, sign Lehner to a reasonable enough deal ~$4 - 5m AAV. Eberle will probably remain on the back burner as a fall back option. Even with his excellent playoff performance - at least to date - I can't imagine teams rushing to sign him minute one of FA. Not that he's not a quality player - he is. But for what he will want (based on what he's made in the past) and the role he's looking to play (top 6 wing), teams will likely want to kick the tires before committing. I can see the Islanders going back to that well if its not real long term. Like $6m AAV for 3 years.
I like the plan but signing all these longterm contracts will hurt the team in the future. Nelson has arguably been our best forward this season and playoffs.
At the beginning of the year I thought he'd be a deadline goner. Same with Eberle. Lee and Lehner I felt are the top priorities. Lee has been barely noticeable in the playoffs and his game may decline fast. The game has changed to speed. I can't pay Lee or Eberle for past accomplishments.
In the end I guess you can't let your captain go two years in a row. Hopefully Lee and Nelson take discounts.
I think Eberle is fallback option.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
From a roster standpoint let's be quite clear in stating that nothing that happens this offseason (short of losing all four of the big UFA's and not replacing them) will be nearly as detrimental as last offseason.
Totally agree. And this team won't have to worry about any negative publicity with the team's surprising success.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I agree, and I think it's because we're secure with our top-4 D and a #1C. It's even better than in the Jonsson-Hamrlik-Aucoin days. I mean those guys were more talented, but the current group is more intelligent and poised.

Reactions: PWJunior

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Really?
He is not going to fall off the cliff in the foreseeable future, and thank heaven you are not the GM.

Some people continue to judge players just looking at the box score.

Who do you think is doing all the dirty work creating all the space for Barzal and Eberle?

Reactions: Poster Unknown

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Some people continue to judge players just looking at the box score.

Who do you think is doing all the dirty work creating all the space for Barzal and Eberle?

While I agree, it's also the fact that Lee gets a lot of chances off deflections and rebounds, a lot of which is generated from the points. Pittsburgh played their forwards so high that the Isles weren't generating nearly as much offense from the blue line as they normally do. That helps eliminate Lee's offense a little bit, but it creates more room for the finesse guys like Barzal and Eberle, and more shooting lanes for guys like Nelson.

In a series against Washington I'd imagine he'll have more opportunities and be more "noticeable."

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Pay the man. He needed to be with Barzal all season.
I agree with the pay him but not with the "He needed to be with Barzal all season." As I understand it, Coach Trotz (I think it is disrespectful to call him by anything but his title)
separated the two deliberately so they would shake some of the bad defensive habits that they had developed with the offensive freelancing that the team used BT (before Trotz). Seems to me he put them back together at precisely the right time and we are seeing the fruits of that -- superb defense from both, responsible play from both, and terrific offense from the two of them and their linemate, the Captain.

Assuming that this is true, Barry Trotz is not just an above average coach, he is one who belongs in the pantheon of greats because it means that he coaches not just with the next game or two or three in mind, but in constant preparation for the post-season. Tell you one guy who wishes he had done that -- Jon Cooper.

Reactions: dano16

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
I agree, and I think it's because we're secure with our top-4 D and a #1C. It's even better than in the Jonsson-Hamrlik-Aucoin days. I mean those guys were more talented, but the current group is more intelligent and poised.
I like the physicality of this group a little better,not a jab at them guys but,north American blue chip blue liners are usually the gold standard

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018

#loyalty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad