Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
From a roster standpoint let's be quite clear in stating that nothing that happens this offseason (short of losing all four of the big UFA's and not replacing them) will be nearly as detrimental as last offseason.

I feel like its the exact opposite situation. Emotionally it wouldn't be more damaging but from a team success next season standpoint it would be far worse.

Losing Tavares
vs
Losing Lee, Eberle, Nelson, Lehner

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
I feel like its the exact opposite situation. Emotionally it wouldn't be more damaging but from a team success next season standpoint it would be far worse.

Losing Tavares
vs

Exactly. Tavares was devastating from an emotional standpoint. However, we just accomplished in 1 year without Tavares what we could only do in 9 years with him, making it out of the first round of the playoffs. This team has incredible chemistry and Lehner finally appears to be the legit #1 goalie that we have been missing. Lee is our current captain and Nelson finally took a huge step to become a consistent player this year. Eberle sucked for most of the year but was the MVP of the Penguins series for us. We could lose 1 (Eberle) MAYBE 2 (Nelson) of them, but 3 or 4 would be much, much worse from a hockey standpoint for the Isles, especially if we didn't replace them with an equal or better part.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Losing Tavares
vs

We arent losing all 4 of these guys. Lehner and Lee will be signed, Nelson will likely be signed, and Eberle is 50/50.

This is the Barry trotz/Lou Lamarillo islanders, players want to be here.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Losing Tavares
vs
The Islanders are not going to lose all four.
And don't forget we also let DeHaan walk as a free agent.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
What about Seidenberg and Sbisa??????

All kidding aside, what about Filppula and Kuhnhackl?

So we have..

Lee
Eberle
Nelson
Lehner
Filppula
Kuhnhackl

That's almost a 3rd of our playoff lineup.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Fun fact - Eberle is sitting at 666 regular season NHL games played. I think he’s going to Jersey to be reunited with his buddy Taylor.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
The cap implication is interesting. While we theoretically have a ton of space *next year*, there are a few very important RFAs on the horizon.

Resigning Eberle and/ or Nelson (depending whether or not both parties are mutually interested) is a HUGE DECISION.

RFA's in 2020-21: Barzal, Pulock, Toews

With the cap going up and more RFAs getting UFA-type AAV, where does that combined number fall? I'd bet it'll be big. By resigning all (or even most of), Lee, Lehner, Nelson, Eberle means something will have to give with one or more of the above three.

2020-21 projected cap space is $41,100,000. New York Islanders - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
The cap implication is interesting. While we theoretically have a ton of space *next year*, there are a few very important RFAs on the horizon.

Resigning Eberle and/ or Nelson (depending whether or not both parties are mutually interested) is a HUGE DECISION.

RFA's in 2020-21: Barzal, Pulock, Toews

With the cap going up and more RFAs getting UFA-type AAV, where does that combined number fall? I'd bet it'll be big. By resigning all (or even most of), Lee, Lehner, Nelson, Eberle means something will have to give with one or more of the above three.

2020-21 projected cap space is $41,100,000. New York Islanders - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Greiss + MM come off the books next season. That's 6 mil right there. Plus you can trade leddy, trade boychuck, hickey, find a way to get rid of ladd. It won't be an issue.

But what it does mean, we aren't getting a big fish UFA, so the offense needs to come from within.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ebs to a team discount to stay put. Here is a guy that wanted to be an Islander. Sends a strong message around the NHL. If he plays like he did in the playoffs, this contract which is a good deal, will become a stud deal.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Dude has been on fire this year. Seems to score almost every time he gets in on the goalie and his hands look absolutely insane this year. Maybe he's getting a little extra space because Barzal is actually shooting this year? Whatever it is, I hope it's here to stay
He's definitely rolling. That was a classy goal today.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
yeah, getting moved off of the 1st line seemed to wake him up. good stuff. i just hope that he can maintain.

i usually gripe about him playing weak and lazy, but he has proven that he can be a valuable asset, when he puts it all together.

keep going Jason! if we are going to win big, we are going to need him firing on all cylinders!

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Yeah we really need Jason Eberle to keep it up, no need to trade for a Hall if he's doing what he needs to do. I do think as an Islander though he's brought his A game to the playoffs. Last postseason he was badly snake bitten.

Reactions: eoin92

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
He had bad luck in the playoffs last year. Whole lot of close call and good opportunities. He’s a legit top 6er and we’re lucky to have him.

His contract isn’t a steal, but is pretty damn reasonable for his production.

Hopefully people realize that production is often cyclical and streaky and take a look at Eberle and how he’s turned it around before bringing the knives out for Nelson.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He had bad luck in the playoffs last year. Whole lot of close call and good opportunities. He’s a legit top 6er and we’re lucky to have him.

His contract isn’t a steal, but is pretty damn reasonable for his production.

Hopefully people realize that production is often cyclical and streaky and take a look at Eberle and how he’s turned it around before bringing the knives out for Nelson.
It's every player that's not a top 5 talent. Pageau is probably going to go 5 games without a goal soon too. People will want a 'Jonathn Marchessault' but would have the same complaints if we acquired him.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Yeah we really need Jason Eberle to keep it up, no need to trade for a Hall if he's doing what he needs to do. I do think as an Islander though he's brought his A game to the playoffs. Last postseason he was badly snake bitten.
I have never seen a player with worse luck than him last postseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad