Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I wouldn't go excessively LT (5-7 years) on him, but if he's willing to accept a 3-4 year deal at $6M per, I think I'd be up for it.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
Did you guys ever think these guys might wanna play for Trotz? Guys have talked all year about the chemistry in the room. I could see a few Bailey type deals coming this offseason, leaving enough room to make a run at a big time winger.

I also think we now have a major selling point for any free agent who wants to win...the coaching staff.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Did you guys ever think these guys might wanna play for Trotz? Guys have talked all year about the chemistry in the room. I could see a few Bailey type deals coming this offseason, leaving enough room to make a run at a big time winger.

I also think we now have a major selling point for any free agent who wants to win.
would be great to see especially when we see that team in Toronto have players looking to milk it for every dollar they are able to when their GM made it sound like they were all going to take a discount to stay but I am not counting on it, these guys want to get paid

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
This is probably the least expected outcome a month ago but now is probably the most likely, but would not be surprised to see Brock elsewhere and Eberle to be the lone one that stays along with Lehner.

Other than Lehner, Brock Nelson has been our playoff MVP along with Jordan. If any player it's Lee who has performed below expectations so far out of the three UFA's. As for the regular season and career wise I would not trust Eberle and his style of play. Only way we sign him should be for a discount.
Nelson has turned it up in the playoffs right now and plays the more important position. Lee is the worst skater of the three on a team that uses speed as an advantage. But he's also Captain.
It will be interesting but I say resign Nelson ( which is shocking for me to say)
as I was a huge detractor before this season and bring back Lee and Lehner (which also surprises me to say).
My opinion on Eberle hasn't changed much. We need an upgrade.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
would be great to see especially when we see that team in Toronto have players looking to milk it for every dollar they are able to when their GM made it sound like they were all going to take a discount to stay but I am not counting on it, these guys want to get paid
They do and Toronto will have a tough time with depth and building a solid defense because the core will take up a lot of the cap.
NY needs to be smart and try and avoid long term deals.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
They do and Toronto will have a tough time with depth and building a solid defense because the core will take up a lot of the cap.
NY needs to be smart and try and avoid long term deals.

Desirable UFA’s do not sign 2-4 yr deals. Unless they are 35+

Reactions: periferal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Other than Lehner, Brock Nelson has been our playoff MVP along with Jordan. If any player it's Lee who has performed below expectations so far out of the three UFA's. As for the regular season and career wise I would not trust Eberle and his style of play. Only way we sign him should be for a discount.
Nelson has turned it up in the playoffs right now and plays the more important position. Lee is the worst skater of the three on a team that uses speed as an advantage. But he's also Captain.
It will be interesting but I say resign Nelson ( which is shocking for me to say)
as I was a huge detractor before this season and bring back Lee and Lehner (which also surprises me to say).
My opinion on Eberle hasn't changed much. We need an upgrade.

With the way Pittsburgh plays, the Islanders can't generate shots from the point because their forwards are so high. That means Lee gets less opportunities to tip pucks and battle in front. We'll see what happens if the Islanders advance and face a different opponent with a different style.

Reactions: Hagstrom

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Is some dumb dumb GM really going to offer him a 5+ Year deal lol. If so you drive him to the airport....

If you can sign him to a 3-4 year deal I think you do it but it can't have any NMC's

Reactions: Newsworthy

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Jason Zucker and James Neal got 5y/27.5m last offseason -

My guess is Eberle gets somewhere around that #, but I don't think it'll be from the Isles.

They need to focus on Panarin (plan A) - Leddy trade for a top 6 F (Plan B) - then Eberle (plan C)

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Kind of a situation where I wonder if he would accept a pay cut to stay. Like Lehner, he's prob better off here, he'll have other options but most likely from underachievers. Really hope players see the value in the nice thing they have going here.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I still think he ends up somewhere else next season, perhaps NJ. He’ll have to take a team friendly deal to stay here.

Team friendly as in 4 years max, under 5.25M per. I think he’ll get a fifth year somewhere else.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It seems some pain is in store for NYI this summer. Eberle and Nelson playing so well these playoffs are going to put NYI in a bind. Nelson is going to be the most difficult sign IMO because of the shortage of centers. His defensive play is going to give teams confidence he is a solution for #2C. I'm dubious about Eberle as a #1RW going forward. I've thought he's been good this year, and I think the structure of his game fits the Trotz approach. But I also think that it's hard to be a smaller player who is losing a step in the NHL, and I think that's what he's going to be. The top priority remains to sign Lee, because he's the leader. After that... It becomes a choice between going for the big scorer (Panarin) or the decision to base the team around a grind identity (resign Nelson). Either way, Eberle is likely going to be off the Island.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Kind of a situation where I wonder if he would accept a pay cut to stay. Like Lehner, he's prob better off here, he'll have other options but most likely from underachievers. Really hope players see the value in the nice thing they have going here.
The only way he takes a pay cut is if they backup the perk wagon,living in NY won't allow that

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I would love to bring Eberle back. But man, I don't know if it's possible. Still need to re-sign Lee, Nelson, Lehner, and we're probably gonna go after a top FA. Just doesn't seem feasible.

The only way it works is if we get Ladd off the books, and well, that isn't happening.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It seems some pain is in store for NYI this summer. Eberle and Nelson playing so well these playoffs are going to put NYI in a bind. Nelson is going to be the most difficult sign IMO because of the shortage of centers. His defensive play is going to give teams confidence he is a solution for #2C. I'm dubious about Eberle as a #1RW going forward. I've thought he's been good this year, and I think the structure of his game fits the Trotz approach. But I also think that it's hard to be a smaller player who is losing a step in the NHL, and I think that's what he's going to be. The top priority remains to sign Lee, because he's the leader. After that... It becomes a choice between going for the big scorer (Panarin) or the decision to base the team around a grind identity (resign Nelson). Either way, Eberle is likely going to be off the Island.
They could still re-sign Nelson - its now about $6m AAV though. So if they want to pony up $30m minimum, he could be had. I'm sure (well - not sure at all...we haven't spoken about it) he wants to stay IF the price is right.

Reactions: dano16

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would love to bring Eberle back. But man, I don't know if it's possible. Still need to re-sign Lee, Nelson, Lehner, and we're probably gonna go after a top FA. Just doesn't seem feasible.

The only way it works is if we get Ladd off the books, and well, that isn't happening.
It's a long shot for sure, but getting Ladd off the books would be the difference between putting together an ok to good forward group and a top tier forward group.

Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Tough call.

I was all for upgrading, but that’s easier said then done. I just don’t see Eberle being the long term solution - I actually saw his departure opening a spot for Ho-Sang or Wahlstrom.

Well, Ho-Sang is probably a goner and Wally is likely going to marinate in the AHL. Every UFA should be spoken to, none have played their way off the team. Eberle spent most of his season with Nelson - seems Eberle is thriving with Barzal now.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I wouldn’t be opposed to high AAV and low term if he continues to have an epic post season.

Maybe 6.5-7 M AAV but on 2-3 year deal.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Tough call.

I was all for upgrading, but that’s easier said then done. I just don’t see Eberle being the long term solution - I actually saw his departure opening a spot for Ho-Sang or Wahlstrom.

Well, Ho-Sang is probably a goner and Wally is likely going to marinate in the AHL. Every UFA should be spoken to, none have played their way off the team. Eberle spent most of his season with Nelson - seems Eberle is thriving with Barzal now.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I wouldn’t be opposed to high AAV and low term if he continues to have an epic post season.

Maybe 6.5-7 M AAV but on 2-3 year deal.

I think that was the only real mistake Trotz has made all season - separating Eberle and Barzal. They thrived together in the past and seem to be again. Would have been interesting to see what they could have done with a full season together.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Jason Zucker and James Neal got 5y/27.5m last offseason -

My guess is Eberle gets somewhere around that #, but I don't think it'll be from the Isles.

They need to focus on Panarin (plan A) - Leddy trade for a top 6 F (Plan B) - then Eberle (plan C)
I'd switch plan B and C.

To me, if we miss on a big time FA winger, I would rather have then have Eberle locked up, and not be as in desperate of a position. Moving Leddy while having a gaping hole could hurt our leverage.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think that was the only real mistake Trotz has made all season - separating Eberle and Barzal. They thrived together in the past and seem to be again. Would have been interesting to see what they could have done with a full season together.
Given where we are now and what Trotz was trying to accomplish then, it is hard to say any of it was a mistake. He and LL made very clear that they were evaluating everything and different line combinations were certainly part of that equation. Let's not forget that he did try them together and didn't like what he saw at the time, but neither Barzy or Ebbs are the same players now that they were then. In fact, very few of our players are. That combination may have been a defensive disaster at that time, which I strongly suspect is the reason he didn't play them together.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I think you have to re-sign both Lee and Nelson and then try and sign Panarin. They have the space. Hayes is struggling in Winnipeg and where Duchene will sign is a complete wildcard. After that, Nelson is the best option (he might be the ahead of Hayes actually).

Brock is matching up against Crosby and Malkin and limiting their scoring opportunities while chipping in offense. He’s just too valuable down the middle with Filppula aging and Barzal still being so young.

Lee-Barzal-X
Panarin-Nelson-Bailey

That’s a very strong and balanced top six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->