Player Discussion Jones signs 2 year extension

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Players speak highly of Playfair (and Tip). Nice to hear.

Its good to see this come out.
Maybe it help dispel the myth that this coaching staff (under Tippett) is using the Hithcock template of coaching.

Bones2079

Oct 2, 2019
Tier 3 Fan
Great number. Hopefully this mean Jones and Benning can be the bottom pair and we ship Russel out for some forward help

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Shows that they are serious about him being on this team. I think Russell gets moved in the off season.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
2 years on a cheap contract, bargain for a young guy who's already a solid bottom pairing with some upside. Solid deal by Kenny, although I'm still wondering what side Jones actually prefers to play on..

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Good signing, but isn't he still an AHLer?

He's producing at a Kris Russell pace while being poor defensively. Eye-test wise he looks like he has skill in skating and moving the puck, but his decision making is quite poor at this point and he doesn't produce offence either.

I get that replacing him for Russell would free up tons of cap space so I like the idea that way, but wouldn't Lagesson be a better fit for our NHL group? Even Matt Benning fills the 3rd pairing RD better than Jones.

On one of the worst defensive corps in the entire NHL, I don't see an actual spot for Jones unless he significantly improves.

Shame, because his brother is (for my money) one of the best defencemen in the entire world.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

He's producing at a Kris Russell pace while being poor defensively. Eye-test wise he looks like he has skill in skating and moving the puck, but his decision making is quite poor at this point and he doesn't produce offence either.

I get that replacing him for Russell would free up tons of cap space so I like the idea that way, but wouldn't Lagesson be a better fit for our NHL group? Even Matt Benning fills the 3rd pairing RD better than Jones.

On one of the worst defensive corps in the entire NHL, I don't see an actual spot for Jones unless he significantly improves.

Shame, because his brother is (for my money) one of the best defencemen in the entire world.
He’s a fringe nhler at 22. That’s fine.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

There is nothing stopping Holland from giving Lagesson an identical deal.
Under a million is par money for fringe NHLers.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
There is nothing stopping Holland from giving Lagesson an identical deal.
Under a million is par money for fringe NHLers.
Don't disagree with you.

My post was in reference to the posters here claiming he is a solid bottom pairing defenceman. I don't see that. I think he belongs in the AHL still. Lagesson is a way better fit on our bottom pairing WHEN Russell is gone. Jones doesn't have the defensive aptitude or the offensive ability to really fit anywhere in our lineup - yet. Even Matt Benning is a better fit on our bottom pairing, and I can't stand him as a player.

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard
Lagesson-Persson

Lots of rookies, but I think if we rid ourselves of Kris Russell and Adam Larsson to free up salary, this is our 6 best defencemen right now in the organization.

From here, you probably look to combine the salary you've saved in deals moving away from Russ and Lars, and bring in a top pairing guy - or you pray this is 'good enough' and use that extra cap space on winger depth.

Bouchard looks VERY good in the AHL right now. Significantly better than Jones. Persson looks great too, but we saw him struggle at the NHL level this year. I think bringing in a top pairing RHD somehow would fix everything. Then you move on from him in a couple years when Bouchard enters his prime. Sure would be nice if Jeff Petry was around right now...

I'm not sure how Caleb Jones, without significant improvement to his offensive prowess, finds his way into this lineup at all in the next decade. Do you? I mean, he plays some games right now ... but I think this was more of a look and see. Some potential there for sure, but man ... I think he is this organizations like...10th best guy? 11th? He's pretty far down the chart for me.

Nurse
Klefbom
Bouchard
Bear
Lagesson
Benning
Persson
Larsson
Russell
Jones?

Keep in mind he's not that young anymore. Reminds me a bit of the trap this fan base fell into with Marincin. At this point, you sort of have what you have...

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Don't disagree with you.

My post was in reference to the posters here claiming he is a solid bottom pairing defenceman. I don't see that. I think he belongs in the AHL still. Lagesson is a way better fit on our bottom pairing WHEN Russell is gone. Jones doesn't have the defensive aptitude or the offensive ability to really fit anywhere in our lineup - yet. Even Matt Benning is a better fit on our bottom pairing, and I can't stand him as a player.

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard
Lagesson-Persson

Lots of rookies, but I think if we rid ourselves of Kris Russell and Adam Larsson to free up salary, this is our 6 best defencemen right now in the organization.

From here, you probably look to combine the salary you've saved in deals moving away from Russ and Lars, and bring in a top pairing guy - or you pray this is 'good enough' and use that extra cap space on winger depth.

Bouchard looks VERY good in the AHL right now. Significantly better than Jones. Persson looks great too, but we saw him struggle at the NHL level this year. I think bringing in a top pairing RHD somehow would fix everything. Then you move on from him in a couple years when Bouchard enters his prime. Sure would be nice if Jeff Petry was around right now...

I'm not sure how Caleb Jones, without significant improvement to his offensive prowess, finds his way into this lineup at all in the next decade. Do you? I mean, he plays some games right now ... but I think this was more of a look and see. Some potential there for sure, but man ... I think he is this organizations like...10th best guy? 11th? He's pretty far down the chart for me.

Nurse
Klefbom
Bouchard
Bear
Lagesson
Benning
Persson
Larsson
Russell
Jones?

Keep in mind he's not that young anymore. Reminds me a bit of the trap this fan base fell into with Marincin. At this point, you sort of have what you have...
Adam Larsson allows us to shelter these rookies and bring them along safely and slowly. Trading him just creates another situation where we force guys into a role they aren’t ready for.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Adam Larsson allows us to shelter these rookies and bring them along safely and slowly. Trading him just creates another situation where we force guys into a role they aren’t ready for.
By shelter do you mean he's just getting caved in instead of them?

Dude has been a tire fire unfortunately. I understand the circumstances and have nothing against him, but man he has been brutal for a couple years now. He's in the same vein as Russell. He provides NOTHING offensively, so you better hope he is a wizard defensively...otherwise he's just a severe net negative on your blueline.

Be honest, is there a major difference between Larsson and any other RHD on our team? Or in our organization? How many goals does he save due to proper positioning over any other RHD like Bear, Benning, Bouchard, Persson, etc?

I don't think so, and his salary does not come close to justifying the maybe couple goals he reduces.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007

Dude has been a tire fire unfortunately. I understand the circumstances and have nothing against him, but man he has been brutal for a couple years now. He's in the same vein as Russell. He provides NOTHING offensively, so you better hope he is a wizard defensively...otherwise he's just a severe net negative on your blueline.

Be honest, is there a major difference between Larsson and any other RHD on our team? Or in our organization? How many goals does he save due to proper positioning over any other RHD like Bear, Benning, Bouchard, Persson, etc?

I don't think so, and his salary does not come close to justifying the maybe couple goals he reduces.
Are you sure you’re watching the Oilers, in the NHL? I don’t think we’re tuned in to the same channel, my friend.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Disagree. Larsson is underpaid for what he brings. 4M is nothing in today's cap world and Larsson is a legit top 4 Dman. Jones\Lagesson don't come close to what he brings defensively yet.
We like to rag on Larsson and Russell but just because they aren't producing offensively doesn't mean they are not a big part of our wins.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Bouchard looks VERY good in the AHL right now. Significantly better than Jones
This is incorrect. Bouchard has not played as well as Jones in the AHL this year. Defensively or offensively.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lots of good posts here. Most I agree with in part or whole. We all want defense moved out for cap relief. But a couple things.

Holland and Tippet are both conservative with rookies and prefer development.

Everyone in the organization loves Russell. In fairness I think he is a good vet to learn grit and professionalism from. They will most likely keep Russell for that and a vet pressense. Russell is most likely going nowhere.

Larsson might be moved but that is a high risk move. I think Persson has been almost as good and look where is he....

Benning is still cost controlled and very good in a bottom pairing role.

Holland doesn't really trade anyways.

In short I think expecting no changes to the blueline is most likely. The result will be one good defender lost to waiver and smother to the draft.

Jones will take over for Russell once his contract is up. Probably paired with Benning.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nurse
Klefbom
Bouchard
Bear
Lagesson
Benning
Persson
Larsson
Russell
Jones?
Is this based on some bizzaro world potential or something? Lagesson will be lucky even if he reaches his absolute ceiling to be a Matt Benning caliber of player.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

yeah it’s almost like he’s a rookie who has only played a handful of games in the NHL. He should be scoring at a PPG pace and leading the league in corsi amirite??

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Lots of good posts here. Most I agree with in part or whole. We all want defense moved out for cap relief. But a couple things.

Holland and Tippet are both conservative with rookies and prefer development.

Everyone in the organization loves Russell. In fairness I think he is a good vet to learn grit and professionalism from. They will most likely keep Russell for that and a vet pressense. Russell is most likely going nowhere.

Larsson might be moved but that is a high risk move. I think Persson has been almost as good and look where is he....

Benning is still cost controlled and very good in a bottom pairing role.

Holland doesn't really trade anyways.

In short I think expecting no changes to the blueline is most likely. The result will be one good defender lost to waiver and smother to the draft.

Jones will take over for Russell once his contract is up. Probably paired with Benning.

good post, but how is trading Larsson a high risk move? Because of our lack of natural RHD?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad