Player Discussion Jones signs 2 year extension

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
850k Cap hit love it.

I’ll take him at that price over Russell’s 4 mill any day

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Great for Jones, he's been solid, improved every year, and I think he's got another gear. Hopefully he's up for good!

The writing is on the wall for Lagesson. And I suspect one other vet d-man...

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Not 100 percent sure how he fits in the big picture with the d-core going forward, but the price is right.

I think his contract also indicates this. If he doesn't fit it's a friendly/asset contract we can move as. If he turns out to be a part of the long term plan we sign his next contract with that in mind.

I like Jones, but we have a lot of options moving through the system right now. It's not a bad problem to have at all. :)

Happy with this signing. I think Holland has been doing a good job of managing assets and patiently waiting until some of our contacts are off the books to make any significant waves. Then again his style has never been to make any waves.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Dont know where he fits long term... I expected

Klefbom - Bouchard
Nurse - Bear
Russel - Benning

For next season

Russell is a goner in the off-season.

I see something like this next year (harder to project for after):

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Benning / Bouchard (if ready, but the defensive balance on that pairing might be a bit off without Benning)
Lagesson

Good signing. I wonder if this means Lagesson is out. I'm hoping they keep him as the 7D. He's at least good in that role IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2 and The Nuge

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
The timing of this is interesting. Did they want to make sure they knew they could lock him up first because they are going to use another d-man to acquire some help at forward (ie. Larsson or Russel)?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Great for Jones, he's been solid, improved every year, and I think he's got another gear. Hopefully he's up for good!

The writing is on the wall for Lagesson. And I suspect one other vet d-man...

I want to see Lagesson in a few more NHL games. I think he's a smarter player than Jones but no way as dynamic a skater. Jones is baby-Nurse in the NHL... his brainfarts per minutes has lowered quite a bit since his first few games.

Reactions: WIOiler

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I am going to guess that Bear signs a 2 year deal as well for less than many of us might think. Ideally they would try to lock him up but next year might be the year to be a bit frugal with deals like his.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I want to see Lagesson in a few more NHL games. I think he's a smarter player than Jones but no way as dynamic a skater. Jones is baby-Nurse in the NHL... his brainfarts per minutes has lowered quite a bit since his first few games.

Who knows maybe they'll try to get him locked in too, and we see some major changes up front. As it stands they're all guys who will be waiver eligible next season, and are likely to be grabbed off the wire if put on waivers so this portends movement.

I rate Jones more highly, because he has a more competitive game, and there's a quickness and decisiveness that's been there from the start. In Bakersfield Jones was often the floor general, he impacted the game just by being on the ice sometimes. Lagesson, not so much. Steady though.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Good signing, he will only get better.

What does Pietrangelo get for a contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad