Value of: Jonathan Drouin

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
AVs added Saad which is much better and cheaper player. Signed for 1 season before reaching UFA, so he would be extra motivated. Landy is among the best 2-way Forwards and Captain. Drouin is not better than either player and would be slotted on the 3rd line.

Contract at $5.5M per is too high for the 3rd line which is normally a defensive role, but can't play defence. So he has no role on the team regardless if he was offered for free. Better value possibly with another team.

Not saying you guys should add Drouin, but Saad doesnt need to play top 6 and won't really play PP. What makes Saad so useful is that he can produce around half a point per game from the middle 6 with barely any PP time. I know he never became what he was supposed to be, which makes some people get down on him, but I love what he brings to the table. Adding Kadri, Toews and Saad in a 1 season span without giving up any premium assets is an absolute masterclass in building a team.

Reactions: Linds

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Not saying you guys should add Drouin, but Saad doesnt need to play top 6 and won't really play PP. What makes Saad so useful is that he can produce around half a point per game from the middle 6 with barely any PP time. I know he never became what he was supposed to be, which makes some people get down on him, but I love what he brings to the table. Adding Kadri, Toews and Saad in a 1 season span without giving up any premium assets is an absolute masterclass in building a team.

Saad has strong defensive skills that likes to play in the dirty areas trying to retrieve pucks. He can play anywhere in the Top 9 with his multi-talents. Drouin is 1-dimensional player focused on offence, but still less of threat to score than Saad.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Good times . I remember Tampa fan arguing with me that Drouin would be better then MacKinnon . I told him MacKinnon would be a superstar.

As for Drouin isn’t a player teams trade for unless the team is dumping money back . Base on his play contract I wouldn’t do a 2nd for him

Reactions: HockeyWooot

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You can try to prop him up all you like but everyone knows Jost sucks

Anderson 27 goals the yr before that.
And 19 and 17 and 1 and 0 goals in the four years before that. Dude is good for maybe 15-20 goals a season. Or 1 goal per season. Has any less accomplished NHL player ever received such a rich contract? Really rewarding the outlier there MB. Domi put up more points in one season than this guy strings together in 3. But he’s big and that means he’s good?

as for Drouin’s value, deeply and decidedly negative. The are zero NHL teams that would part with an asset to saddle their cap with that guy.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Look once you claimed that an HF posters comment made you burst out laughing like your some sort a crazy person sitting at their computer laughing out loud at an insignificant comment you read, your credibility went down the poop chute.

Or is it possible that you may have exaggerated a bit to get your point across?
No exaggeration. When someone posts that Mete and his 730K caphit is a cap dump, their credibility went down the poop chute! lol

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
And 19 and 17 and 1 and 0 goals in the four years before that. Dude is good for maybe 15-20 goals a season. Or 1 goal per season. Has any less accomplished NHL player ever received such a rich contract? Really rewarding the outlier there MB. Domi put up more points in one season than this guy strings together in 3. But he’s big and that means he’s good?

as for Drouin’s value, deeply and decidedly negative. The are zero NHL teams that would part with an asset to saddle their cap with that guy.
You mean the 0 goals in his 6 games the first yr he played the following season
Then the 1 goal in 12 games where he didn't play much.
Then came the 12 goals in 78 games his rookie season.
Then came basically his 2nd season and he put up 19 goals in 63 games.
then his 3rd season where he move up to 27 goals in 82 games.
Than the injury and he tried to play thought it and lasted 26 games when he should have been out on injury reserve instead of even trying to suit up.
It seems he was on a trend in yr 1,2,3 going from 11 to 19 to 27 than got hurt.
Fact is dude should easily be good for 25-35 goals a season .
I mean he did get 27 playing with nobody on the 3rd line.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You mean the 0 goals in his 6 games the first yr he played the following season
Then the 1 goal in 12 games where he didn't play much.
Then came the 12 goals in 78 games his rookie season.
Then came basically his 2nd season and he put up 19 goals in 63 games.
then his 3rd season where he move up to 27 goals in 82 games.
Than the injury and he tried to play thought it and lasted 26 games when he should have been out on injury reserve instead of even trying to suit up.
It seems he was on a trend in yr 1,2,3 going from 11 to 19 to 27 than got hurt.
Fact is dude should easily be good for 25-35 goals a season .
I mean he did get 27 playing with nobody on the 3rd line.

35 goals? Let’s keep going. Drouin gets 85 points and Suzuki wins NHL MVP.

It’s more likely Anderson scores 9 goals than 35. Columbus has a better team than Montreal.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Both are miles better than Jost. You don't think so fine. We know better.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Both are miles better than Jost. You don't think so fine. We know better.
Jost makes 850k. Not some negative value long term albatross contracts like the ones those two lousy middle six forwards eat up.

Habs are not even close to contention. They are years and years behind the Avs. And not gaining ground either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linds and yeaher

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
35 goals? Let’s keep going. Drouin gets 85 points and Suzuki wins NHL MVP.

It’s more likely Anderson scores 9 goals than 35. Columbus has a better team than Montreal.
I never claimed that Drouin gets 85 points and Suzuki wins NHL MVP. That's your fantasy dream.
It's more likely Anderson scores 25 goals than 1.
He won't be buried on the 3rd line . He'll be playing on one of the top 2 lines with capable players and some pp time.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Jost makes 850k. Not some negative value long term albatross contracts like the ones those two lousy middle six forwards eat up.

Habs are not even close to contention. They are year and years behind the Avs. And not gaining ground either.

Jost makes 850k because he's not worth any more. He terrible period.
I will bet you if you have the balls that both Drouin and Anderson both out score Jost.
You wanna grow some?

What does the Avs having a better team got to do with this thread?
Running out of options i see. Now back to childish remarks that has nothing to do with the thread.
My Avs are better than your team. Nice grown up thing to put out there.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I never claimed that Drouin gets 85 points and Suzuki wins NHL MVP. That's your fantasy dream.
It's more likely Anderson scores 25 goals than 1.
He won't be buried on the 3rd line . He'll be playing on one of the top 2 lines with capable players and some pp time.

You guys have top two lines? lol. that’s what you call those?

Like that top like with Danault and Tatar?

Montreal is a bad team with a 3 low end 2nd lines and a bad 4th line. Your PP 1 is a PP 2 on nearly any other team.

I’ll chalk Anderson up for 14 goals and a minus -17.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Jost makes 850k because he's not worth any more. He terrible period.
I will bet you if you have the balls that both Drouin and Anderson both out score Jost.
You wanna grow some?
If the Avs had Drouin and Anderson, I’d cry we wasted so much cap space on two 3rd line nobodies with matching $5.5mm Long term negative value contracts as the Avs were stuck in 11th place out west. Or basically, we’re an irrelevant team like Montreal with limited prospects to get better.

drouin and Anderson wouldn’t even sniff top six minutes or PP time on the Avs or most other actual contenders. They’d be 4th line on a team like Tampa.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Montreal is a bad team with a 3 low end 2nd lines and a bad 4th line. Your PP 1 is a PP 2 on nearly any other team.

You mean that Danault and Tatar line which was one of the top 5 best 5 on 5 lines in the league.:naughty:

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
If that Avs has Drouin and Anderson, I’d cry we wasted so much cap space on two 3rd line nobodies with matching $5.5mm Long term negative value contracts as the Avs were stuck in 11th place out west. Or basically, we’re an irrelevant team like Montreal with limited prospects to get better.
You are wasting money on Burakovsky, Nichuskin (brain dead), Saad and Donskoi. None of whom will come close to their pay.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If the Avs had Drouin and Anderson, I’d cry we wasted so much cap space on two 3rd line nobodies with matching $5.5mm Long term negative value contracts as the Avs were stuck in 11th place out west. Or basically, we’re an irrelevant team like Montreal with limited prospects to get better.

drouin and Anderson wouldn’t even sniff top six minutes or PP time on the Avs or most other actual contenders. They’d be 4th line on a team like Tampa.
Saad and Burakovsky say hi.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Luckily for Montreal, your imagination has no impact on what their team and players will do.

Reactions: BenchBrawl and Doc5

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
As they actually score NHL goals. Or the pretend goals like Anderson puts up. . He didn’t actually score 1 goal last season. He scored 1 plus 24 pretend goals. Well done Josh. You’re good in our imaginations.
Ya while Burakovsky was putting up 12 goals ,Anderson was putting up 27.
Saad was at least keeping it close with 23.
The great Jost had almost as many 11 as the great Burakovsky 12.
But Anderson was in front.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Respectfully and realistically, I think the league would probably pass on this player. You're looking at three more years at a cap hit of $5.5M, disappointing offensive contributions, and indifference to defense and physical play. What's not to love? Plenty.

I've seen a proposal or two where someone suggests maybe a mid-/late-round pick for him, but I strongly disagree that there are teams out there interested in adding him for futures, sending back all that cap space and especially giving so much salary relief the other way. If there is a taker, it would be someone looking to exchange comparable salary in a single player, and for just as long. I think the best bet for a hypothetical Habs GM who wants to move Drouin (and I don't think Bergevin does want to move him) would be to swap another bad contract in a change of scenery sort of move. There are a few such deals on the books around the league, but not a ton.

When one of a player's main intangibles is his francophonie, and he's already on the Habs, the chances are excellent that this is a player not going anywhere for a while. At least until the years burn off that deal somewhat, I doubt he would generate substantial interest elsewhere.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Respectfully and realistically, I think the league would probably pass on this player. You're looking at three more years at a cap hit of $5.5M, disappointing offensive contributions, and indifference to defense and physical play. What's not to love? Plenty.

I've seen a proposal or two where someone suggests maybe a mid-/late-round pick for him, but I strongly disagree that there are teams out there interested in adding him for futures, sending back all that cap space and especially giving so much salary relief the other way. If there is a taker, it would be someone looking to exchange comparable salary in a single player, and for just as long. I think the best bet for a hypothetical Habs GM who wants to move Drouin (and I don't think Bergevin does want to move him) would be to swap another bad contract in a change of scenery sort of move. There are a few such deals on the books around the league, but not a ton.

When one of a player's main intangibles is his francophonie, and he's already on the Habs, the chances are excellent that this is a player not going anywhere for a while. At least until the years burn off that deal somewhat, I doubt he would generate substantial interest elsewhere.
There are many players with a higher contract with team that put up less pts than Drouin.

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
Ya while Burakovsky was putting up 12 goals ,Anderson was putting up 27.
Saad was at least keeping it close with 23.
The great Jost had almost as many 11 as the great Burakovsky 12.
But Anderson was in front.
Im sorry but Anderson is not scoring 27 goals next year. I love Toffoli signing but Bergy missed the boat with the Anderson contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad