Value of: Jonathan Drouin

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
In this cap world its hard to say as he still produces 50plus points and has untapped offensive potential. I can see an argument both ways. The expectations on Drouin were sky high and he has not met them.

The bolded needs to stop being said. Drouin is 25 years old, we know what he is. An inconsistent 50+ point winger with an 80 point skillset who will leave fans wanting more. The problem lies in people putting too much stock in the "wanting more".

In general, people need to stop focusing on what a player isn't instead of what a player is. If you are 6'4, put up 50 points but play soft you are a detriment to your team, yet a 5'8 player who could play the exact same way would be lauded. People put too much stock into what a player "could be" and when they don't live up to it, ignore the things they actually do.

Jonathan Drouin is a skilled winger who lacks the ability to maintain a consistent high level of play. Could he put up an 80 point season? Absolutely. Will he do it more than once? Unlikely. Will he do it ever? Quite possibly not. No team should target Drouin with the idea that he leads their offense night in night out. But if you have talent up and down your roster to insulate his inconsistency than there will be success.

Do teams have interest right now without moving money? Hard to say. Covid is strange times and there are still some FA's out there who may make more financial sense. But the Habs would absolutely not have to pay to get rid of Drouin. They may have to be willing to take some bad $$ back to make it work financially. There is no world where he has negative value right now. He's still as is said, a 50+ point winger on a contract representative of that level.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The bolded needs to stop being said. Drouin is 25 years old, we know what he is. An inconsistent 50+ point winger with an 80 point skillset who will leave fans wanting more. The problem lies in people putting too much stock in the "wanting more".

In general, people need to stop focusing on what a player isn't instead of what a player is. If you are 6'4, put up 50 points but play soft you are a detriment to your team, yet a 5'8 player who could play the exact same way would be lauded. People put too much stock into what a player "could be" and when they don't live up to it, ignore the things they actually do.

Jonathan Drouin is a skilled winger who lacks the ability to maintain a consistent high level of play. Could he put up an 80 point season? Absolutely. Will he do it more than once? Unlikely. Will he do it ever? Quite possibly not. No team should target Drouin with the idea that he leads their offense night in night out. But if you have talent up and down your roster to insulate his inconsistency than there will be success.

Do teams have interest right now without moving money? Hard to say. Covid is strange times and there are still some FA's out there who may make more financial sense. But the Habs would absolutely not have to pay to get rid of Drouin. They may have to be willing to take some bad $$ back to make it work financially. There is no world where he has negative value right now. He's still as is said, a 50+ point winger on a contract representative of that level.

Lets put it this way:

Schmidt got a 3rd. Vancouver is in the market for offensive wingers. If Vancouver could clone Schmidt, do you think they would take Drouin + 3rd for Schmidt, or even add to Schmidt for Drouin + 3rd? I suspect the answer is a resounding and whole-hearted "hell no!". Sure, the Habs could get an asset in addition to Eriksson or Lucic, but it would almost certainly be less than if they just took Eriksson/Lucic for free.

Reactions: Patagonia

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Again, you clearly have no clue how the cap works. Any team with Mete who considers him not NHL material can simply dump him in the AHL with no cap hit to the NHL team.

Therefore, once you claimed that 735K contract is considered a cap dump your credibility went down the
poop chute
Again, you clearly have no clue how the cap works. Any team with Mete who considers him not NHL material can simply dump him in the AHL with no cap hit to the NHL team.

Therefore, once you claimed that 735K contract is considered a cap dump your credibility went down the
poop chute

You need to remember that most American NHL teams in the economic climate cannot afford to pay Mete 700k to play in the AHL. That's most than their entire budget.

There are some analysts who suggest if the Aves had a Mete or two type contract in the AHL they may need to trade MacGinnon. Their other high paid players have NMC and are not positive value players (Elton Johnson, JT Compher, etc). MacGinnon has more value than Mete to most teams.

So Mete is not a good investment to the Aves.

Reactions: missionAvs

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Lets put it this way:

Schmidt got a 3rd. Vancouver is in the market for offensive wingers. If Vancouver could clone Schmidt, do you think they would take Drouin + 3rd for Schmidt, or even add to Schmidt for Drouin + 3rd? I suspect the answer is a resounding and whole-hearted "hell no!". Sure, the Habs could get an asset in addition to Eriksson or Lucic, but it would almost certainly be less than if they just took Eriksson/Lucic for free.

Schmidt got a 3rd because Vegas needed to move money fast, and not take any in return. Vancouver could shop Schmidt now and take their time and get a much better value.

Reactions: The Sweetness

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Schmidt got a 3rd because Vegas needed to move money fast, and not take any in return. Vancouver could shop Schmidt now and take their time and get a much better value.

Teams can go over the cap during the offseason, so thats really only partially true. If Vancouver wanted to trade Schmidt without taking salary back, the market would still be extremely limited. That said, I will agree that the less term Drouin has remaining, the more value he will have, but you could say that about any undesirable contract.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Teams can go over the cap during the offseason, so thats really only partially true. If Vancouver wanted to trade Schmidt without taking salary back, the market would still be extremely limited. That said, I will agree that the less term Drouin has remaining, the more value he will have, but you could say that about any undesirable contract.

They were already over the cap I believe, and Petro would have put them over the 10% allowance. To get him signed the needed to move money immediately and take none back.

Do you think his contract is overall undesirable or just because of Covid and the current financial situation? Because personally, I don't think the Habs have any problem with his contract, nor do I think most teams around the league have issues with their own similar contracts. I can understand the context that it's undesirable simply because teams can't afford to add any contracts right now. Hypothetically, if we weren't in a flat cap, I don't think the Habs would have any trouble at all in moving Drouin's contract.

Ultimately, I think the Habs would get value back in any Drouin trade because they don't trade him otherwise. They aren't going to cap dump him ala Schmidt. At least not in my opinion. So really, I think that whole line of conversation is moot.

Reactions: The Sweetness

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
In this cap world its hard to say as he still produces 50plus points and has untapped offensive potential. I can see an argument both ways. The expectations on Drouin were sky high and he has not met them.

That said, Habs are not interested in dealing him especially after he and Suzuki demonstrated to have chemistry and co-led the Habs in points in the playins.

with Josh Anderson added, Habs fans are excited to see thr Drouin-Suzuki-JA line play. Hence, no interest in trading Drouin.

There's nothing "untapped" there. Drouin is what he is: an inconsistent offensive player who actively harms his team any time he's not scoring.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There's nothing "untapped" there. Drouin is what he is: an inconsistent offensive player who actively harms his team any time he's not scoring.

Untapped probably wasn't a good word. The offense is there but consistency and injuries have held him back. I see this coming season as make or break for Drouin. There are no excuses now. He will have a capable and talented C in Suzuki and a big-body power forward in Josh Anderson. Alternatively he could have Kotkaniemi with Toffoli/Anderson/Armia. At this stage, if he can't make it work with the talent available, then he's not close to the player he was designed to be.

Either way, Habs have zero interest in trading Drouin as of now. The potential he showed with Suzuki in the playins is encouraging. They were dynamite together against the Flyers. They led the Habs in points. The only line that was producing offense against the Flyers stifling D.

Habs will have 3 x 2nd lines. They will be able to give Suzuki's line favorable matchups. Danault's line will get the heavy matchups as always.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
They were already over the cap I believe, and Petro would have put them over the 10% allowance. To get him signed the needed to move money immediately and take none back.

Do you think his contract is overall undesirable or just because of Covid and the current financial situation? Because personally, I don't think the Habs have any problem with his contract, nor do I think most teams around the league have issues with their own similar contracts. I can understand the context that it's undesirable simply because teams can't afford to add any contracts right now. Hypothetically, if we weren't in a flat cap, I don't think the Habs would have any trouble at all in moving Drouin's contract.

Ultimately, I think the Habs would get value back in any Drouin trade because they don't trade him otherwise. They aren't going to cap dump him ala Schmidt. At least not in my opinion. So really, I think that whole line of conversation is moot.

To your first point, I believe you are incorrect - with Pie signed, VGK is just barely over the cap. With Schmidt, they would still be under the allocation. That said, doing so would obviously lower their leverage a lot so I'm not really proposing it as a viable alternative.

I personally wouldnt sign Drouin to that contract as a UFA (his remaining years at his remaining term), but I wouldnt say he would have no value, league-round, in a non-COVID landscape. Some team would give something up for him. I think the only way he returns actual "good" value, though, is in a fortuitous Pacioretty-type trade, though - a team has a high-salary player who just doesnt fit, and they add him to a late 2nd or equivalent prospect and he turns around and performs well in MTL. Now, with COVID, I don't think his value has changed much - he would now just return that player, and maybe a late pick or extra low-paid bottom 6 plug-n-play type. That's not what I would give, but I suspect it's what he would return.

All of that is to say that I suspect youre correct and that the Habs won't move him because they won't get anything of value; I, however, would still personally trade him for another bad contract, because I think its easy to find an underperforming, unwanted 5m player who can provide more consistent & reliable play than Drouin can, even to a team like MTL that is heavy on those more intangible qualities while being lower on skill.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Ristolainen for Drouin?
In a vacuum, they probably have similar value. But as of now, Habs are pretty much done and ready to drop the puck. They won't trade Drouin this off season.

On D:

Chiarot-Weber
Edmunson - Petry
Kulak - Romanov
Mete

(or Romanov - Fleury).

I think Romanov will start his NHL career on the right side. He played RHD in the KHL and with Edmunson signed and Kulak, the best spot is being sheltered on the 3rd pairng.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think it’s time that we stop talking about Drouin’s potential just because he was once a high draft pick. At this time we pretty well know what he is. A 50 point or so second line mainly offensive guy who is somewhat overpaid in this flat cap environment. He’s simply not going to return anything of substance and teams will want some cap going back.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Again we will keep our 55 pt temperamental disappointment cap dump, you keep your 20 pt star.

Mete a cap dump.:huh:

Do you even know what a cap dump is?:laugh:

You actually can’t defend that offer. No one is giving Montreal 3 quality futures and taking back virtually no cap. It’s laughable for anyone attempting to do so. My previous offer of Lucic and a 1st would likely be the best offer or similar offer to what a team would make.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Garbage offer to the Flames. Drouin and Mete are cap dumps. With only $4M in cap space remains, Flames will include Lucic.

Mete is a cap dump at 750k? Hahahaha delusional. You think drouin is a dump??? If drouin is a dump. It would cost the shit flames about 10 1st to dump that disgusting lucic contract.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Ristolainen for Drouin?

Yeah, hard pass on that. Even if you believe Risto is a catastrophe in his own end (I don't---I think he's been miscast through much of his career, and he's had good metrics in smaller sample sizes with more appropriate usage) and the only value either brings is in the offensive zone, a 45 point d-man is a hell of a lot rarer than a 50-55 point winger. And Risto's also a huge physical presence. Plus, Drouin would have absolutely nowhere to play in the Sabres line-up. Hall, Olofsson, and Skinner have LW well covered.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Why trade for a player, absorb a $735K 1-way RFA contract to dump them in the AHL? He’s not an NHL player. Trade will result in a negative value.
Guy has played 3 seasons in the NHL and you claim he's not of NHL calibre.:laugh::laugh:
Please more we need more.:facepalm:

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
Time to reunite MacKinnon with Drouin.

:habs
1st Round Pick
Nichushkin
Timmins

:avs
Drouin
Mete
4th Round Pick

Drouin back with Mackinnon would get Drouin going and Nichuskin could put up a career year beside Koko. Trevor Timmins re-unites with Timmins who has had injur troubles

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You actually can’t defend that offer. No one is giving Montreal 3 quality futures and taking back virtually no cap. It’s laughable for anyone attempting to do so. My previous offer of Lucic and a 1st would likely be the best offer or similar offer to what a team would make.
No GM that had Drouin right now would trade him for Lucic and a 1st .
You know that I know that and any knowledgeable hockey fan that isn't trolling just for the hell of it knows that.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Time to reunite MacKinnon with Drouin.

:habs
1st Round Pick
Nichushkin
Timmins

:avs
Drouin
Mete
4th Round Pick

Drouin back with Mackinnon would get Drouin going and Nichuskin could put up a career year beside Koko. Trevor Timmins re-unites with Timmins who has had injur troubles

AVs need a moment. :laugh:

Sandler - laughing cereal.gif

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Now maybe both teams decline.

AVs added Saad which is much better and cheaper player. Signed for 1 season before reaching UFA, so he would be extra motivated. Landy is among the best 2-way Forwards and Captain. Drouin is not better than either player and would be slotted on the 3rd line.

Contract at $5.5M per is too high for the 3rd line which is normally a defensive role, but can't play defence. So he has no role on the team regardless if he was offered for free. Better value possibly with another team.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I believe he has trade value. But I don't know if he would return as much in trade to offset his current importance or value to Montreal's lineup.

I think this is a fair statement. Obviously the Habs are not interested in moving Drouin and particularly this late in the offseason. With the chemistry Drouin and Suzuki demonstrated in the playins, coupled with the addition of J. Anderson / Toffoli, there is a good basis for Drouin breaking out. Danault's line will get all the heavy assignments leaving Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson to feast on other teams 2nd or 3rd lines. If Drouin doesn't produce / breakout this season, he never will IMO.

Therefore, Habs are excited for the season to start. This is the most depth / top-6 players we have had in ages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad