Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - So comman Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He is unable to talk about positives because the focus is everything being a pessimistic approach... Hero or Zero evaluation. If we didn't make the Drouin/Sergachev trade, the same pessimistic approach would of been taken towards Sergachev this past year cause he would of not look good on our roster. Comments would of been... should of drafted Jost instead.

Drouin's biggest assets are skating and he has tons of skill. His passing and shooting are elite level. Problem will always be he is a soft type. Maybe he bulks up a bit from age 25-30 but I don't ever expect him to be winning puck battles. His value is on the PP

It wouldn’t matter how good Sergachev looked. He would’ve been a 19 year old defenceman we all expected to have growing pains given the position. And it would’ve been expected on a team like ours this past season. People wouldn’t be eating him alive. 22 year old skilled forwards don’t get the same leash as their prime and peak come at much younger ages.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
And what about that?

The last time Chucky has played center before getting drafted was when he was 16 years old!

So he's a center, right?

Pleaseee
Well your buddy Bergevin certainly thought so when he drafted him, yet they never played him at center for 3 years. Thats is how to develop a centre, by playing them on the wing while petit david got prime time 18 minutes a game with our best wingers. So maybe take it up with the GM instead of :wave:...And if they didn't think he was a centre then move the kid for some talent and send a pick if you have to. Nope have to run them into the ground and then "well they would have failed anyway" become the excuse around here.

Tinner and Jarabek are perfect examples of how to drive the value of a player into the dirt. Keep him bench, it will surely highlight all they have to offer. :crossfing

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Height Jabs, Weight preferences, Language Bias, Center Drama, General Manager Ridicule . This thread has it all folks! No need to go any further! This is the ugly side of the Canadiens HF Boards community all wrapped up in a neat bow.

All the useless comments that I for one hate. Get it all here!

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Height Jabs, Weight preferences, Language Bias, Center Drama, General Manager Ridicule . This thread has it all folks! No need to go any further! This is the ugly side of the Canadiens HF Boards community all wrapped up in a neat bow.

All the useless comments that I for one hate. Get it all here!

Maybe you should start a thread on why we're going to win the Stanley Cup next season, so we could discuss legitimate topics? :sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He is unable to talk about positives because the focus is everything being a pessimistic approach... Hero or Zero evaluation. If we didn't make the Drouin/Sergachev trade, the same pessimistic approach would of been taken towards Sergachev this past year cause he would of not look good on our roster. Comments would of been... should of drafted Jost instead.

Drouin's biggest assets are skating and he has tons of skill. His passing and shooting are elite level. Problem will always be he is a soft type. Maybe he bulks up a bit from age 25-30 but I don't ever expect him to be winning puck battles. His value is on the PP
Ya....sure....:facepalm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think you said it perfectly here, he's still young and needs to perfect his craft at the NHL level...this is part of development we keep shredding the team for not doing.

Well development isn't always an upwards trajectory...sometimes players take 1 step back in order to take 2 forward, we've seen this before with Carey Price, Max Pacioretty and even PK Subban to some degree.

Maybe i'm just being too optimistic, that's in my nature, but I do think last season can serve as a jump off point for Drouin...

But as it relates to production at center vs. wing...I just don't reach you on that argument, I think there are more circumstances that affect point production than simply where a player lines up for a faceoff (not neglecting the inherent responsibilities playing wing vs center either mind you).

I think TOI, quality of linemates, hockey sense, etc affect production way more than just playing wing vs center, at least IMO.
Of course, a lot goes into production. How you are being used is key, that includes being put in the best position for you to succeed.

I don't think that's a steadfast rule, different players and different teams handle things differently...look at Charlie MacAvoy, he averaged just over 22 mins a game playing the top pair with Zdeno Chara, it didn't seem like it ruined him this year, but that's because he was put in a position to succeed (playing next to Chara) and most importantly, he had a coach who believed in him and kept using him even if he made mistakes.

This old school strategy of sheltering young players while at the same time trusting veterans who make the same mistakes, is long gone IMO...it's a young man's league, more and more teams are going to start trusting their younger player with more responsibility, that's where the game is going IMO.

I'm not sure how you can be so categorical on that, how do you know he didn't learn anything last year? He was an awful faceoff guy for the first 60 games last year...by the end of the year, he was much more consistent in that department.

That's one thing learned from last year...

But maybe you will be right and Drouin will come back this year having learned nothing, if that's the case, then i've terribly misjudged the type of player I think he could/can be...wouldn't be the first time.
Sure, some can do well. Everyone is different.
With Drouin, he didn't do well. MacAvoy did. Will he blossom next year, possibly. I don't see it at center. To me he should be on the wing, and he cannot be the go-to guy. We cannot thrust a young player into a go-to guy when he's not ready. He wasn't last season and so I don't think it helped him in any way.
Some guys can come in like Subban and excel right away, he did not do that.
Agreed with that...and that falls on the GM.

Either way, while we don't agree about Drouin's ability to play center...I think we both agree that if the Habs are going to continue using him there, they need to provide him with more support.
Agreed there.

Reactions: 417

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
A joke? Or stupidity? Clearly, insinuating that Drouin is not even a good hockey player is daft, at best. I'm hoping it's a joke and you were being sarcastic. Otherwise, you need help...
Drouin IS a good player but his biggest asset To Bergevin when he got him wasnt his talent. C'est un québécois !

If his name was Jasper Drouinov and Sergachev was "Michaël Séguin" the trade would've never happened. Fact

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah drouin's size looks more like 5'8-9 190

No way he is 5'11

He looks definitely 5'10 to me. But yeah 5'11 is stretching it.

But people must not forget we don't know how the NHL rounds (or not) the height. Does the NHL rounds up? Is 5'11 4/10 the same as 5'10 5/10? Are both considered 5'11 while being almost an inch apart?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Drouin IS a good player but his biggest asset To Bergevin when he got him wasnt his talent. C'est un québécois !

If his name was Jasper Drouinov and Sergachev was "Michaël Séguin" the trade would've never happened. Fact

I firmly believe and this since the beginning of july last year that the trade for Drouin was a smoke grenade. MB perfectly knew he was about to lose both Markov and Radulov. He needed to deflect the incoming criticism and yeah acquiring a young local player was going to do that. It worked well for him i must say.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He looks definitely 5'10 to me. But yeah 5'11 is stretching it.

But people must not forget we don't know how the NHL rounds (or not) the height. Does the NHL rounds up? Is 5'11 4/10 the same as 5'10 5/10? Are both considered 5'11 while being almost an inch apart?

We aren’t talking an inch being rounded. We’re talking atleast a couple inches off. Most heights are exaggerated for players, and just about all of them for players under 6 feet. As a man whose 5’11 himself, I see it all the time where guys I can see clear over their heads claim to 5’10-5’11. I’d say Drouin is no taller then 5’9.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We aren’t talking an inch being rounded. We’re talking atleast a couple inches off. Most heights are exaggerated for players, and just about all of them for players under 6 feet. As a man whose 5’11 himself, I see it all the time where guys I can see clear over their heads claim to 5’10-5’11. I’d say Drouin is no taller then 5’9.

If everyone does it then does it really matter?

I mean if the 6' guy is also exagerrating and claiming to be 6'2 then it kind of even's out no?

EDIT: And anecdotally, posture matters a lot, so if you walk around with a straight back, and other people are slouching somewhat, have their shoulders slouched, are leaning on one leg, etc... then it's normal for you to see over their head without them actually lying.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I firmly believe and this since the beginning of july last year that the trade for Drouin was a smoke grenade. MB perfectly knew he was about to lose both Markov and Radulov. He needed to deflect the incoming criticism and yeah acquiring a young local player was going to do that. It worked well for him i must say.

Possible but I doubt it. I think MB jumps at the chance to get Drouin no matter what. If anything once he got Drouin he decided he could play hardball with Radulov since in his mind he already got a better player so he figured he was in a position of strength.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If everyone does it then does it really matter?

I mean if the 6' guy is also exagerrating and claiming to be 6'2 then it kind of even's out no?

EDIT: And anecdotally, posture matters a lot, so if you walk around with a straight back, and other people are slouching somewhat, have their shoulders slouched, are leaning on one leg, etc... then it's normal for you to see over their head without them actually lying.

:laugh: No it has nothing to do with slouching. It has to do with them being insecure. You hear about people lying on their drivers licences for that exact reason as well. You see a person enough, you get a general idea of their height. At the end of the day, it means nothing. But a lot of people who really aren’t that little suffer from little man’s syndrome and it’s something I personally get a kick out of. Like I said in my previous, I’m under 6 foot and have never been embarrassed about it.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
:laugh: No it has nothing to do with slouching. It has to do with them being insecure. You hear about people lying on their drivers licences for that exact reason as well. You see a person enough, you get a general idea of their height. At the end of the day, it means nothing. But a lot of people who really aren’t that little suffer from little man’s syndrome and it’s something I personally get a kick out of. Like I said in my previous, I’m under 6 foot and have never been embarrassed about it.

Try being around the pro wrestling business. 5'3" guys claiming they are 5'8", 5'8" guys claiming to be 6'1", 6'1" guys claiming to be 6'4", 6'4" guys claiming to be 6'7", and so on. 6'5" Chuck Wepner was maybe three inches shorter than "Billed at over 7 feet tall" Andre The Giant but to this day people argue that Andre was well over seven feet in his prime.

Reactions: nhlfan9191
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad