Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Redemption Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm sorry and all but Drouin has got no hockey brain whatsoever. God Damn his hockey IQ is so tiny :laugh:.

The whole is lesser than the sum of his parts.

I'd like to trade him but not at any cost. Only if it makes us a better team. As long as he plays with Suzuki, he'll be fine.

(MTL) Drouin + 1st round pick 2021 + B prospect <-> (SJ) Meier :nod:

That Drouin has limited hockey IQ, but a lot of skills (speed, stick handling, etc...) brings up the dilemma: although he may be fine with Suzuki, is he hurting or helping Suzuki? I.e. do his skills compliment Suzuki's hockey brain, or does his lack of hockey sense keep Suzuki from going to even higher heights production wise than he would if he was playing with someone else?

Personally, I still much prefer Suzuki playing with Drouin than Byron, Lehkonen, or Armia. But I wonder if we were able to move Drouin, could we find someone better with the 5.5M in cap space.
If we ever try Tatar-Suzuki-Anderson or Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson we'll find out.

Reactions: 1000eeer and Wats

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
JD is one of the dumbest hockey players I have ever seen. Probably the worst hockey IQ and constantly either gives away the puck or skates towards traffic. He might be a good stick handler but that's about it. For me, IQ and compete level are things you cannot teach so I don't see how this kid ever got drafted. Same for most of the Dmen on Vancouver, Edmonton, and Ottawa. Some of the decisions those guys are making when I see them play the habs are just brutal.

Reactions: Jabba11 and Wats

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
JD is one of the dumbest hockey players I have ever seen. Probably the worst hockey IQ and constantly either gives away the puck or skates towards traffic. He might be a good stick handler but that's about it. For me, IQ and compete level are things you cannot teach so I don't see how this kid ever got drafted. Same for most of the Dmen on Vancouver, Edmonton, and Ottawa. Some of the decisions those guys are making when I see them play the habs are just brutal.
The player you reference costs $10M+ per year...Drouin costs $5M....there’s a reason for that difference in salary.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
People hating on this guy this season need to find a different agenda, he's part of the solution and not the problem.

Right now? Yup. Definitely part of the solution.

If he disappears? He's a problem but that could be said of all players. He's just susceptible to prolonged cold streaks. I hope he keeps up the good habits so it doesn't happen.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Drouin is a complimentary player, a skilled one for sure, but yeah, complimentary, and he can't stand pressure too much/can't be under the spotlight, and strangely enough, it's when he disappears and then reappears out of nowhere to stickhandle that he's a threat, when he has the puck too long on his stick he gets into trouble.

Yeah, he has 10pts in 12 games, but those are mostly secondary assists, and he has 20 shots in 15 games so far.

He benefits from playing with Suzuki/Anderson, not the other way around.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Keller in MTL PROBABLY wouldn't be the Keller we are seeing in Arizona. A good player (i'm not saying great) on a bad team can produce bad numbers.

Rikard Rakell doesn't have good numbers this year. But he plays for the god damn Ducks. Put Rakell in a favorable position (good team, good linemates), and he'll have way better numbers.

Haven't you heard of a certain Josh Anderson?

And BTW, the 2021 draft isn't good at all. What's the opportunity cost of a pick (20OA to 32 OA) in the 2021 draft. If you ask me, not much..

Getting rid of Drouin for that kind of a return would be really good for the team IMO.

Of course, Keller wouldn't be my target #1 but he's a highly talented player (way more talented than Drouin IMO).

Josh didn't play badly because he was in CLB. He was injured.

That said, the move is lateral and you add a 1st, not really interested.

Reactions: Deebs

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Drouin is a complimentary player, a skilled one for sure, but yeah, complimentary, and he can't stand pressure too much/can't be under the spotlight, and strangely enough, it's when he disappears and then reappears out of nowhere to stickhandle that he's a threat, when he has the puck too long on his stick he gets into trouble.

Yeah, he has 10pts in 12 games, but those are mostly secondary assists, and he has 20 shots in 15 games so far.

He benefits from playing with Suzuki/Anderson, not the other way around.

If you think Suzuki is carrying Drouin the last 5-7 games then you need to watch more closely.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
The guy is great this year and people still find out not good enough. Come on what are you asking for ? If he has Gallagher will, he will cost you at least 8 M per year.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
for the life of me I don't understand how someone who gets paid 6M, scored one goal in like 30 games with a handful of proxy assist, is all of a sudden playing great. He kills EVERY offensive play. EVERY SINGLE ONE. If he weren't a Hab he'd be in Galchenyuk territory for now. He is absolutely worthless and a complete cream puff.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
These past 3 or 4 games have been some of Drouin's best 2way games have seen him plays in a Habs sweater. It's almost as if he finally understand the system and is able to execute it properly. Drouin is more implicated defensively and physically, making nice reads in the o-zone, even had a few successful dekes in tight that led to scoring chances. He needs to keep this up while he waits for Suzuki to get out of his funk tho. When all 3 are clicking and playing well, they're the Habs best line.

Reactions: dralaf and ZUKI

Megaforce

Drouin has played well all season and almost more importantly (to me anyway) has been the most entertaining with nifty stickhandling, brilliant passing and even a gorgeous deke goal he scored. His only down periods with the Habs since his arrival have come when he was forced to play injured, which, alas, was quite a lot.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Do you even know the meaning of projection? I'm calling out the irrational narrative that has gripped this discussion forum like some sort of fever that never goes away. Just look at the facts instead of the mythology and you'll see the silliness that has been prevailing here for way too long.

The facts have been posted quite often and are damning to Drouin. You just ignore those facts and pretend they are myth, which clearly shows you're simply a fan boy, and to be fanboy of this particular player, you'd need a massive dose of pro-Qc bias.

Reactions: Tighthead

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Context matters like I said in my previous reply. I’m not too sure how much of an impact it can really have. I mean sure, Drouin is 30-15 ozone/dzone starts, but he has 146 on the fly + neutral starts which dwarfs that deficit...

how much of a statistical impact 1.5 ozone/dzone starts deficit per game can really have...let’s not stretch it.

You ommited the difference in line matchups that the OZS% will portray, meaning the guy who gets more ozs is likely confronted to lesser opposition and is used on an exploitation line.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Me: (MTL) Drouin + 1st round pick 2021 <-> (SJ) Meier

SJ fan: «I'd rather pay a team Meier to take Vlasic than worry about getting value for Meier.» - 5 likes on the comment

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You definitely want him to light up the lamp more. But he's been playing his best hockey since coming to the Habs. The compete level and the improvement in his defensive game makes him a more complete player. I also find this year, his dangling and stickhandling has been better. That part of his game was never in question. But he seems to be smarter about it and not trying to do more than he should, which would end up costing him and the team.

It's probably the Anderson effect, who affords him the space to do what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad